Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open University Questions and Answers

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's been said before - but do a search on this forum. There has been tons of OU threads (including some that cover psychology specifically). You'll find a mine of information.

Course support - you'll find tons. The OU are pretty much one of the best in the field when it comes to this. You also have access to their own online communities to share with other students etc.

With regards to grants, you won't get any (unless your employer has some kind of educational scheme). However, if you are a tax payer, tax relief is available. Check out revenue.ie for information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I'm playing with the idea of furthering my educaton with Open University.
    I would like to upgrade my Level 7 BEng to Level 8 which requires 360 points.

I've a few questions:
    1. Roughly what credit transfer would be allowed for my current qualifications?
    2. Would residential school be required if I obtained my current qualifications through a college. If so, for how long?
    3. Very roughly, how long would such a course take to complete and what cost?

I'm sorry my questions are so vague but I'm just trying to guage if it would be worth looking into.

Thanks

1: A thread that might be of interest is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055480043. Credit awards will vary depending on the degree you decide to go for, and what you've previously studied.

2: Residential schools are (almost) a thing of the past. Some still remain on certain courses, so it would depend on the courses you choose.

3: Course lenghts and costs are laid out on their site. 30 and 60 point courses will normally run from Feb - October or October to May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

jimbo78 wrote: »
    I'm playing with the idea of furthering my educaton with Open University.
    I would like to upgrade my Level 7 BEng to Level 8 which requires 360 points.

I've a few questions:
    1. Roughly what credit transfer would be allowed for my current qualifications?
    2. Would residential school be required if I obtained my current qualifications through a college. If so, for how long?
    3. Very roughly, how long would such a course take to complete and what cost?
    I'm sorry my questions are so vague but I'm just trying to guage if it would be worth looking into.

Thanks

OK, quick summary. The B.Eng has it own specific CT scheme - max credit is 210 pts. You need to provide syllabus information and if you can provide some good detail you may be able to attain exemption for one RS on the B.Eng, leaving one to comlpete. RS schools are only 5 days, fees include everything - accommodation, food, tuition - you just need a Ryan air cheapie flight and spending money for the bar!

So with 150 pts to study to include the compulsory elements T191, T397, 120pts of Level 3 study (whick includes a 30pts engineering project) I'd say you could just about do it in 2 years - timing and sequencing of courses, workload etc.

http://engineering.open.ac.uk/

Re cost, you pay per module and these vary in terms of size - 30pt / 60pt / residential school. Quick guess allow for €5k, but dont quote on that!:P

Thanks mimmi. Very helpful post.
    5k would be very reasonable but it's a big commitment to make.

Are OU qualifications well recognised here?
    Would it be recognised with the IEI?

• Advertisement

Well you get the employers not too well informed, but OU quals are on the National Qualifcation Framework in Ireland and have been HETAC rated e.g. levels and ECTs points.

IEI has to recognise all the usual international accords re recognition, so if you use your B.Eng as part of your pathway to C.Eng with a UK prof body like IMechE, they have to recognsie it.

I am sure on the ground having a level 8 qaulification and expereince is the thing that most employers look for.

Anyway, doubt you'll find many places to do top-up engineering part-time, most colleges cann't get the bums on seats to run them - for the OU thast is not an issue.

Thanks mimmi.
    If its HETAC rated I'd say it would be safe enough.

One last question:

Is there time limits between the modules? If I were to, say, take a year off in between modules, would it effect the prospects of getting the BEng?

Shouldn't do - unless the qualifcation has a specific validity limit on it (generally listed on the web page) then you can have gaps of all sorts. I think the longest gap I recall was somebody coming back to a qualification having last done an OU course in the late 70's.

Great. Thanks for the info guys

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

Im on my fifth OU course for Bsc Hons Psychology at the moment and overall OU are excellent . You will have a tutor which is contactable by phone or email along with tutorials also there are course specific forums which are really helpful .

Whats the name of the one you are thinking of starting with ?

• Advertisement

Hopefully not this one - it's not available in RoI

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01Y163

If you have previous higher education study you may be able to cope with Level 2 entry DSE212 - this is essentially the first major psychology module in the OU degree.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01iDSE212

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

This thread is to keep the large quantity of OU related threads in one place for easy reference. Post Away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

Just wondering if anyone here has completed either the Environmental control and public health (T210) or the Environmental monitoring, modeling and control(T308) courses. I'm trying to decide on whether to do these courses or do a fire engineering level 8 course in my IT. One of my lecturers told me OU courses were very hard and not to take it on without being ready for a hard slog. I dont mind a bit of hard work, I've been in college for the last 3 years so I am used to it but I dont want to get in over my head, I dont think I would be though btut I'd love to hear from anyone who has completed either of these courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭urallfish

hi i have an interview in buisness and humanities studies in the mornin i really want to do this course to further my ability to work with people that are disadvantaged but really i am going for a career in councelling to work with drug addicts etc is it the right move what questions will be asked of me? im nervous!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Is this a joke? How would a course in business and humanities be of any use to you if you want to work with addicts? :confused:

Also, this thread is about the Open University, which is not the university you are applying to (you don't do any interview to get onto their courses).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Nua Aristotle

Hi all I am currently doing my last module in the Dip. (conversion) Psychology through the OU I was just informed I definatly won't be getting a distinction (1:1) because of the grading system which is fair enough but my question is they only award a fail, pass, graduate basis for registration, or a distinction. The people who get a 2:2 or 2:1 get put into the same braket (graduate basis for registration). My question is how do the universites in Ireland sort this out when you apply for the Doctroates/Master's in psychology as they are looking for a high 2class hons. (2:1) ???? Also the OU grading of a 2:1 begins at 69% unlike say NUIGalway which starts at 63% I think !!! so if I get an overall of say 66% will the universty take that into consideration ??? Has anyone been through this situation ???

You'll get a Diploma Supplement for your Dip Psychology award -this applies to all Universties under Bologna agreement awarding degrees/diplomas etc at HE level.

The Diploma Supplement will clearly spell out the grade you have for each module and how this fits with the OU grading system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Nua Aristotle

Thanks Mimi however my real question is wether or not say the likes of NUIGalway will see my grade of say 66% from OU as being a 2:1; although this is not the case OU it needs to be 69% or above to be a 2:1 for them the grade 66% would be considered a 2:2 but there marking system is different to Irish colleges. (nuigalway's 2:1 starts at 63% I think). I am just trying to figure this out for a worst case scenario as I have plenty of clinical experience and research experience but am worried because OU mark very hard and I might not make the application grade parameters for postgrad's in Ireland.

Doubtful, I'd say - but only NUIG can answer for certain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lou2713

Just wondering if anyone has any advice in relation to fees for studying with the OU from Ireland.

I was all set to register for my first course at £630 for the module. I calculated this as €686.77 at today's rate. When I went to register, it said that the fee to sign up from Ireland was £1330 which is almost €1500!!
    I saw another thread where somebody said that its no longer expensive to study with OU due to the exchange rates but how can they justify this difference? Surely, the only difference would be in postage? It was fair enough when there was a huge gap between sterling and the euro but its rediculous now. Has anyone else queried this?

I would appreciate any information as I was all set but I can't afford to pay more than double!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Lou2713 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice in relation to fees for studying with the OU from Ireland.

I was all set to register for my first course at £630 for the module. I calculated this as €686.77 at today's rate. When I went to register, it said that the fee to sign up from Ireland was £1330 which is almost €1500!!
    I saw another thread where somebody said that its no longer expensive to study with OU due to the exchange rates but how can they justify this difference? Surely, the only difference would be in postage? It was fair enough when there was a huge gap between sterling and the euro but its rediculous now. Has anyone else queried this?

I would appreciate any information as I was all set but I can't afford to pay more than double!

€1500 is a fair conversion for £1330, as to the difference between £630 and £1330 cannot help, but the issue is not currency conversion...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Might the UK Government subsidise the course for UK residents but not those from the Republic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

UK government do indeed subsidise the courses for UK residents. The cost to study a module in Ireland or elsewhere in the EU is available on each course page - it will have said that £630 was the "UK fee", with a link underneath to see what it was for residents of the Republic of Ireland (usually 2-3 times more expensive).

I am very surprised that someone who had looked into the Open University hadn't discovered this before deciding to commit to a course, honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The Coach

Hi all,

Apologies in advance mods if my questions have been asked/answered here plenty of times already. :o I have checked stickies and whatnot but im still not sure. Just wondering has anyone here managed to be succesful as a result of obtaining an OU degree? Also is it recognised like any standard degree worldwide? Places like USA, Oz and the likes.
    Basically i'm just trying to weigh up an OU degree compared to a normal degree (not online). I'm finding that the whole college life probably isn't for me so i'm seriously considering this. I'm a couple of years shy of being able to apply as a mature student in college and also the fees are looking like there going to be too expensive for me!
    The OU itself looks expensive enough, working out at about the best part of 10 grand for the 360 points worth in total so it's a big investment in itself.

Ok i'll try to stop rambling on now! Do you think the OU degree is worth it as something to help build a career on as opposed to a normal degree here in some college in Ireland??
    I Really would like to do one with the OU, just not too sure would it be a wise move, OU or a normal college?

If anyone could give me their views on this it would be much appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Fergus08

Relax, very well respected by nearly all of academia. All OU qualifications are "mapped" on the National Framework of Qualifications here, so are fully recognized as on a par with the NUI, TCD etc. So, no worries, really, from that angle. One the other hand, some employers are still a bit sniffy about OU - not in the public sector but in our absolutely wonderful and enlightened private sector. Those employers who, for instance, routinely bin all CVs from applicants who aren't TCD or UCD, and they do exist.

The OU experience, in my opinion, surpasses most of the conventional college experience (I've done both OU and UCD). You'll be tutored almost exclusively by people who have a PhD and who are either full-time tutors with OU or lecturers at other universities/colleges. I'm my 12 courses with the OU all of my tutors had a PhD and several were lecturers at other universities - including a reasonably prominent 'name' in sociology. While at a bricks-and-mortar uni you will, in all likelihood, be tutored by a PhD student the same age or younger than you. From an undergraduate perspective OU, I think, has the edge. But you won't have a full circle of friends (or enemies, either), nightlife, societies. However, from your post it looks like you wouldn't really miss that.

As regards proceeding to post-grad (MSc/PhD). Again, no problem at all. Dozens of lecturers in the UK, and some in Ireland, started off as OU students. That includes several at Oxford and Cambridge. So, it is possible to go to the very top by starting at the OU, if you're determined enough. Alas, there are patches of sniffiness still here in Ireland regarding OU, but I think that's declining.

Don't be deterred by a snideness you may hear about OU. It's up there with most Universities. Objectively, it's ranked close to DCU, UCC, NUIM in the various rankings. And it was ranked in the top third of research universities at the last UK research assessment exercise - a few notches down from QUB. It's an excellent teaching university, a good research one and it more than holds it own against conventional unis. I hope this is of some assistance to you and best of luck. It will be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The Coach

Fergus08 wrote: »
    Relax, very well respected by nearly all of academia. All OU qualifications are "mapped" on the National Framework of Qualifications here, so are fully recognized as on a par with the NUI, TCD etc. So, no worries, really, from that angle. One the other hand, some employers are still a bit sniffy about OU - not in the public sector but in our absolutely wonderful and enlightened private sector. Those employers who, for instance, routinely bin all CVs from applicants who aren't TCD or UCD, and they do exist.

The OU experience, in my opinion, surpasses most of the conventional college experience (I've done both OU and UCD). You'll be tutored almost exclusively by people who have a PhD and who are either full-time tutors with OU or lecturers at other universities/colleges. I'm my 12 courses with the OU all of my tutors had a PhD and several were lecturers at other universities - including a reasonably prominent 'name' in sociology. While at a bricks-and-mortar uni you will, in all likelihood, be tutored by a PhD student the same age or younger than you. From an undergraduate perspective OU, I think, has the edge. But you won't have a full circle of friends (or enemies, either), nightlife, societies. However, from your post it looks like you wouldn't really miss that.

As regards proceeding to post-grad (MSc/PhD). Again, no problem at all. Dozens of lecturers in the UK, and some in Ireland, started off as OU students. That includes several at Oxford and Cambridge. So, it is possible to go to the very top by starting at the OU, if you're determined enough. Alas, there are patches of sniffiness still here in Ireland regarding OU, but I think that's declining.

Don't be deterred by a snideness you may hear about OU. It's up there with most Universities. Objectively, it's ranked close to DCU, UCC, NUIM in the various rankings. And it was ranked in the top third of research universities at the last UK research assessment exercise - a few notches down from QUB. It's an excellent teaching university, a good research one and it more than holds it own against conventional unis. I hope this is of some assistance to you and best of luck. It will be worth it.

Cheers for the honest reply Fergus, i'll take what you said on board. The OU is looking pretty decent to me overall so far. Just hope the price doesn't increase drastically over the years for whatever reasons.

The OU is funded by the UK exchequer, so there is indeed an element of subsidy for fees, in the same way as there are no fees for OU study in the UK if your family income is below £30k, it's social policy to encourage part-time learning, the RoI has always dealt part-time students a raw deal on that score.

A 60pts course is €1444 at todays exchange rate, as 120pts is equivalent to one year of full-time study that is just under €3000 for a year - including materials, tuition etc and no registration or exam fees, not bad really.

I think when people start to see the figures for tutition fees for full-time study, the OU may look even more competitive.

When people say the OU is expensive, I do wonder if they have looked at fees charged by other colleges for part-time degrees. In my experience the OU is on par and sometimes cheaper when you factor in materials and no requirement for attendance a few nights a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AdvancingOn

The Coach wrote: »
    Do you think the OU degree is worth it as something to help build a career on as opposed to a normal degree here in some college in Ireland??
    :)

Hi, I found this particular post by Boardie's http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055320288 to be the most informative when i was in the process of changing over to the OU ...from a course in Oscail DCU

Hope This Helps though i am sure there are plenty of posts on OU recognition by search
    AD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ciderboy

I am looking to upgrade to a level 8 Honours degree, i currently have a diploma in electronics which i completed in 94.
    I am hoping to get a BSc hons degree and i'm considering the below courses.
    T307 Innovation: designing for a sustainable future
    T325 Technologies for digital media
    T324 Keeping ahead in information and communication technologies.

Has anyone here studied these courses, if so how tough are they. Is there any prep work i could do to prepare for these? The courses do not start until Feb 2010.
    Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement