Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommendations for VW conversion?

Options
  • 22-06-2019 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

I'm considering buying a VW Caravelle or Transporter SWB and getting it converted into a camper. Any recommendations? Ideally no more than 5-6k, including the usual sink/cooker/storage/R&R bed etc.

It doesn't have to be a company, anyone good who can demonstrate previous work I'd be happy to use.

Many thanks, E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Hooked

Get yourself over to FB, a group called 'self build campervans ireland'.

I completed a T5 build earlier this year. My first build. By doing ALL of the work myself, and shopping in the UK for windows, carpet, insulation, etc... I saved a fortune.

I made my kitchen and bed, RNR style, but as it's DIY, it's not belted. So cannot carry passengers.

Be advised... the revenue are quite particular about what's required. An SQI (engineer) will need to sign it all off, and VRT will have to be paid (13.5% of van value plus build cost) and is only applicable in the case of a commercial vehicle. Not a caravelle (private use).

All that being said, it's very doable... I was a complete newbie!

Oh - and without an expensive 'pop top' roof, you'll have to join a camper club, and use their insurance scheme. Low roof vans are near impossible to insure direct. My insurance is 419. And road tax on a motor caravan is '102 euro'. Yesss!

Is the 5-6k budget for the conversion only? You'll be hard pushed to get a decent T5 and all the required fit out, for that money.

As an aside... I'm not sure how or why people use SWB vans? LWB all the way!

ac2a0f80-5260-42e5-878b-94a454c55656.jpg

There she is in all her glory!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Hooked wrote: »
    Is the 5-6k budget for the conversion only? You'll be hard pushed to get a decent T5 and all the required fit out, for that money.

Caravelle can make sense on a tight budget because VRT is already paid but I agree I'd take lwb van any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

Thanks all, @Hooked that's fantastic! Way beyond my capabilities I'm afraid. I think I've found someone to do it for me.

SWB because it's much easier in the city and parking at my place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

SWB because it's much easier in the city and parking at my place.

You'd be surprised. It's only 400mm longer and turning circle isn't that much bigger. I live on an annoyingly narrow road with alternating parking spots with a narrow gateway and it would fit here no problem. Can think of a couple of multistorey that would be a problem but doubt the SWB would be much fun in those either.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

You'd be surprised. It's only 400mm longer and turning circle isn't that much bigger. I live on an annoyingly narrow road with alternating parking spots with a narrow gateway and it would fit here no problem. Can think of a couple of multistorey that would be a problem but doubt the SWB would be much fun in those either.

I totally get the appeal of the LWB for space etc. but I've travelled a lot in a SWB and it suits me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

I've had both and don't find the difference to be all that much. I have been using the SWB T5 since 2013 and no complaints at all. Even VW's own California is a SWB. Having said that, the LWB was a fine job too !

I've had both and don't find the difference to be all that much. I have been using the SWB T5 since 2013 and no complaints at all. Even VW's own California is a SWB. Having said that, the LWB was a fine job too !

We’ve 2 Siberian huskies, so the XXL crate that they travel in ‘just about fits’ in the LWB. And if we are sitting in the van with the 2 dogs (eating, drinking tay, etc...), those extra 400mm are badly needed! 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

We’ve 2 Siberian huskies, so the XXL crate that they travel in ‘just about fits’ in the LWB. And if we are sitting in the van with the 2 dogs (eating, drinking tay, etc...), those extra 400mm are badly needed! 😂

Ah I understand. Lovely dogs by the way !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 VanPercy

Get yourself over to FB, a group called 'self build campervans ireland'.

I completed a T5 build earlier this year. My first build. By doing ALL of the work myself, and shopping in the UK for windows, carpet, insulation, etc... I saved a fortune.

I made my kitchen and bed, RNR style, but as it's DIY, it's not belted. So cannot carry passengers.

Be advised... the revenue are quite particular about what's required. An SQI (engineer) will need to sign it all off, and VRT will have to be paid (13.5% of van value plus build cost) and is only applicable in the case of a commercial vehicle. Not a caravelle (private use).

All that being said, it's very doable... I was a complete newbie!

Oh - and without an expensive 'pop top' roof, you'll have to join a camper club, and use their insurance scheme. Low roof vans are near impossible to insure direct. My insurance is 419. And road tax on a motor caravan is '102 euro'. Yesss!

Thanks for the info... so if you wanted to carry 2 belted passengers in the back; what additional measures would be required. And in relation to the SQI ; is it easy to find one that would sign off on a self build conversio? Any chance you could share the approximate fit out costs you had; and the steps you had to take to do it?

Thanks
    Van Piercey

VanPercy wrote: »
    Thanks for the info... so if you wanted to carry 2 belted passengers in the back; what additional measures would be required. And in relation to the SQI ; is it easy to find one that would sign off on a self build conversio? Any chance you could share the approximate fit out costs you had; and the steps you had to take to do it?

Thanks
    Van Piercey

Like I said Above.. self build campervans Ireland is a great resource (Facebook group)

lots of DIY builders nowadays, and plenty of SQIs about as a result

You'll need a proper crash tested, belted, 'rock n roll' style bed which can cost 2000 Euro upwards. Then... you'll need a bed for those extra 2 people. Another 2500 or more (for a pop top roof with double bed).

My conversion, pictured above - set me back approx 2K. All DIY. Bench at the back cannot carry passengers and my roof is LOW. So I had to join the camper club and avail of their insurance scheme.

Advertisement