Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

eagle eye wrote: »
    We needed a corner so we can put McCourty full time at safety.
    We needed a RB to replace Jeremy Hill.
    Cajuste is a good pick. He could turnout to be a great tackle but if not he is able to play guard too.

I really excited about Winovich, his measurables mightn't be great but he is a football player and a leader of men as you said. If he is up to being on the field he will improve everybody around him by being that great leader. I was sure he would have went in the first round.

Which McCourty? We have J Mac, Gilly, Jackson and Jones at corner, with Harmon, D Mac and Chung at safety. Spending a 2nd round pick there seems a bit excessive especially considering we've big needs elsewhere.
    Likewise at RB, we have White, Michel, Burkhead and Bolden.
    That being said I'm not complaining. I trust BB a lot more than I trust myself lol.

It would just be nice to pick up a LB or 2 along with a TE and DT. They seem to be the obvious areas of need for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Which McCourty? We have J Mac, Gilly, Jackson and Jones at corner, with Harmon, D Mac and Chung at safety. Spending a 2nd round pick there seems a bit excessive especially considering we've big needs elsewhere. Likewise at RB, we have White, Michel, Burkhead and Bolden. That being said I'm not complaining. I trust BB a lot more than I trust myself lol.
    It would just be nice to pick up a LB or 2 along with a TE and DT. They seem to be the obvious areas of need for us.
    Devin spent a lot of time at corner last season.
    Bolden is basically a ST's player. We need cover for Michel.
    We have a lot of picks left and I'd be confident that some of them will be spent on linebackers and maybe a QB.
    I expect we will spend a pick on Terez Hall out of Missouri, we spent a lot of time in him.
    Blake Cashman is another LB we spent a hold bit if time on.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Devin spent a lot of time at corner last season.
    Bolden is basically a ST's player. We need cover for Michel.
    We have a lot of picks left and I'd be confident that some of them will be spent on linebackers and maybe a QB.
    I expect we will spend a pick on Terez Hall out of Missouri, we spent a lot of time in him.
    Blake Cashman is another LB we spent a hold bit if time on.
    Didn't realise Devin played a bit at corner.

Just selected another o-line man. Didn't think our o-line needed so much draft capital.

All the "draft experts" are saying we've had an excellent draft thus far so hopefully it'll continue. TE surely has to be addressed in next few picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Jared Veldheer, Ben Watson and Dontrelle Inman all picked up by the Pats in the past week or so. Three decent signings at this time of year. I wonder if we're interested in Kyle Rudolph at all? Vikings shopping him around according to reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭me89

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Jared Veldheer, Ben Watson and Dontrelle Inman all picked up by the Pats in the past week or so. Three decent signings at this time of year. I wonder if we're interested in Kyle Rudolph at all? Vikings shopping him around according to reports.

Also in talks with Jamie Collins about a return

• Advertisement

me89 wrote: »
    Also in talks with Jamie Collins about a return

Well that would certainly help with our LB needs. Apparently he's signed a 1 year deal but I can't see it on any legit sources.
    I wonder where Bill plans on playing him. He's a better OLB, but he played mainly at ILB when at NE iirc. Our current ILBs aren't great in pass coverage so he would definitely be an improvement there, however we do have more of a need at OLB.

Regardless, I'd be much happier with him on the team as we lack consistent play-makers in our front 7. Hightower isn't what he used to be, and Van Noy, while very good, isn't top class (although both players were immaculate in the post-season earlier this year). Obviously with Flowers gone our D-Line looks decidedly average, but I'd be confident BB will take care of that. I just think our front 7 will cost us a few losses in the regular season again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Collins was a mixed bag, his athletic ability covered up a lot.
    Dont get me wrong, I think he'd be a good signing and an upgrade, but that's moreso due to our lack of depth & talent we have rather than him being a superstar

Confirmed on NFL.com now that he has signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

BizzyC wrote: »
    Collins was a mixed bag, his athletic ability covered up a lot.
    Dont get me wrong, I think he'd be a good signing and an upgrade, but that's moreso due to our lack of depth & talent we have rather than him being a superstar
    We don't need superstars we need competent LB corps, that BB doesnt have to gameplan around as much.

Rarely is it the patriot way to sign superstars, moreso folks that can add value.

2 year contract extension for Jules, he deserves every penny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

me89 wrote: »
    2 year contract extension for Jules, he deserves every penny.

Amen to that. Minitron has been a stud since day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I remember BB talking about why he was kept around when he didn't seem to be doing much in those early seasons. What a fantastic decision it was to keep him on the roster etc back then, look how he has repaid the faith

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Allen Hurns hitting the FA market...
    Not a top talent by any means at this stage, but he could be a useful body to bring in and compete for a roster spot.

Wouldn't be mad about Hurns. Mike Wallace and Brandon LaFell are both looking for new teams, might be worth a look at camp at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Would love to see both of those Wr getting a tryout

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Surprised there's been no discussion of the Brady extension, coupled with him putting the house up for sale. Could really be the last year for the GOAT as a Patriot this year.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭ Davina Many Ignoramus

Surprised there's been no discussion of the Brady extension, coupled with him putting the house up for sale. Could really be the last year for the GOAT as a Patriot this year.
    The extension was always gonna happen, so not a big deal really. It's a year by year thing at this stage, everyone is probably aware of that. Brady gets paid, and we get cap relief.

It might be the last year, or it might not. I'm really easy about it to be honest. Brady is 42, we've gotten a hell of a long time out of him. It has to end at some point, and Brady has had 31 teams waiting for him to exit for a long time already :)

In saying that, he's still one of the best QBs in the game, and I'm hopeful for this year. Worried a little by the WRs options, but if there's a QB who'll find a way to win, then it's Brady. Should win the division, which means they'll be in the playoffs and so another shot at the SB.

Selling the house is not a big deal. His wife is too big of a deal to live in Boston full time. Giselle needs to be in New York for media purposes. It might simply be a situation where she was spending too much time flying to New York and maybe missing her kids too much.

Of course it could be just what you are seeing but I think it's less likely than it is that they are moving for family and business reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Josh Gordon is free to join squad practice.......

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1162494426301849600?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Fantastic news. The WR group needed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Hnnng

This team is potentially shaping up to be an all time great. If Harry can click, I could see us eclipsing 2015 (pre injury apocolypse) dominance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Might go over for a long weekend this year, and go to a game. Any of you regulars any advice for:
    • Where to stay?
    • Best place for tickets, and how much should I expect to pay?
    • Other things to do in the greater Boston area?

Looked briefly there at tickets through NFL.com, very expensive for Cowboys and Browns, actually appeared to be reasonable enough for the Chiefs. As in less than $300......:D

• Patriots starting center David Andrews hospitalised with blood clots in the lungs. Date of return currently unknown. He had missed the last 2 practice sessions.

Patriots brought in two OL additions, Jermaine Eluemunor from the Ravens and Korey Cunningham from the Cardinals. Both have started for their previous teams but were currently backups.

Gordon back in action tonight and has a reception under his belt in the final preseason game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Gordon back in action tonight and has a reception under his belt in the final preseason game.

Bay Bay caught 2 TDs. Wonder does he make the final roster

paulie21 wrote: »
    Bay Bay caught 2 TDs. Wonder does he make the final roster

I'd be surprised if he didn't after last night, he looked good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Brian Hoyer released...

Brian Hoyer released...

Stidham has looked very good in preseason. I thought 3 QBs would be carried this year so it sounds like Belichick and McDaniels like what they see in Stidham.

Imagine if he was the heir apparent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Lack of depth at OL positions could've weighed in the decision to let Hoyer go. He'll find employment fairly quickly I'd say.

Advertisement