Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Shipping To Madrid And Back

• 27-05-2019 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I'm doing the Challenge Madrid half in September and looking to avoid the airport hassle with the bike.

Nirvana, ShipMyTriBike etc aren't going there so I'm looking for any recommendations from anywhere anyone else has used in the past

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

You could simply stick the bike in the hold on your flight. Aer Lingus charge 50 euro each way for oversized luggage which is what a bike box is categorised as. Ultimately its the quickest way to get the bike from A to B, yes its more hassle but in the absence of a dedicated transport company it may be the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Thanks, yeah, Aer Lingus aren't too expensive even if you book it as 'sports equipment'

The issue I have is a wife, child, cases and bike box.
    That's why I'm leaning towards dropping the box somewhere and it being in Madrid when I arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 18,849 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks, yeah, Aer Lingus aren't too expensive even if you book it as 'sports equipment'

That's why I'm leaning towards dropping the box somewhere and it being in Madrid when I arrive

Any of the global courier companies will do it. It'll be expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i would suggest if the wife is causing issues here as you descrbibe in problems, you have bigger issues lol (pink )

you should always look for a partner thats at least neutral idealy an asset lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

peter kern wrote: »
    i would suggest if the wife is causing issues here as you descrbibe in problems, you have bigger issues lol (pink )

you should always look for a partner thats at least neutral idealy an asset lol.

Trust me, I've tried but I can't get them into the roof rack.
    The bike must be inside the car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I think it has to be booked as a bike with Aer Lingus and they only accept a certain number per flight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the process with aer lingus is convoluted.

find your flights, but do not book
    call their support line to see if there are bike spots on the flight .
    if there are, go back onto the webpage, book the flights.
    then call the helpline back with your flight booking number and add hte bikes

you can't, or at least couldn't, add the bikes yourself when booking the flights

it's a PITA, but i brought my bike down to Lanza for the IM and it was painless. 2 kids, lots of cases, but it all worked out fine. oh and a wife too.

Advertisement