Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lidl

• 12-04-2019 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

This is interesting and impossible to fathom without access to the relevant corporate accounts!

For the first time that I have seen, Lidl are stocking Scheppach without rebranding.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?id=780&week=2

To date most of the Parkside stuff that I own is Einhell when you read the small print, and an Einhell table saw that a friend gave to me is in turn a rebadged Scheppach. In fact it's the one visible in the set of offers linked above. Do NOT buy it - it's trash.

The exception is the Parkside bench grinder I bought that is Grizzly Tools in the small print.

Most of Aldi's Workzone stuff is Scheppach too of course.

So with Lidl stocking Scheppach directly, this looks to be a relatively significant licensing change. Probably tax routing or to simply ensure that profits appear on the right set of books!! .. who knows, may be even Brexit related if one of the above has its company for the UK and Irish markets registered in the UK.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this post:

- is it a question?
    - is it a statement?
    - should we all be confused?

Probably.

The track saw is reasonable value!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

Great to hear. Thanks for posting. I have a fair amount of Scheppach kit and I like it.
    That's a fine pile of tools and equipment landing in Lidl on April 18th. I will be stocked up with even more junk I don't need ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Their table saw isn't great. Mine burnt out in short shrift and parts were hard to come by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

This just means Scheppach are box shifters when they are rebadging cheap chinese tools.

Its another tweak in Lidl's sales plan when we have seen all this chinese stuff before.

Some of its is good, some ok and some total rubbish, the name on the side of the box or the tool is mostly irrelevant its still from Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭brane.nikic87

Is that bandsaw any good? I am kinda tight with money at the moment and not sure should I stretch and get or should I wait for a Workzone one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

Those Lidl/Aldi Bandsaws are terribly light.

Almost-best money I spent was on a Scheppach Basata Vario Bandsaw, about 205mm depth of cut.

From McQuillans in Capel Street. Now that's a Bandsaw! And I bought a rake of blades from the place in Malahide Road Industrial Estate that make them to order.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,233 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a cheapo workzone bandsaw. it's better than nothing, but as a friend predicted, just serves to make you realise 'i should have spent more money on this thing'.

i got it reduced to €50, so no major blow to the wallet; but the build quality is kinda laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Is that bandsaw any good? I am kinda tight with money at the moment and not sure should I stretch and get or should I wait for a Workzone one?

Peter Millard has done a whole series of videos on cheap bandsaws (including the Workzone - which I believe is the same Scheppach) which was very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_3HsujJgZE&list=PL7S6M0i1Mz9r3-9wmNhCSUU2aI7UCk9Iq

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭brane.nikic87

Yes, I have seen that but I am not sure that Workzone one is Sneppach as cutting height is 80mm max and Sneppach base 1 is 100mm. Also as I can remember those Workzone ones were around 80-100€ and Sneppach one is 150 in LIDL so big price difference.

Yes, I have seen that but I am not sure that Workzone one is Sneppach as cutting height is 80mm max and Sneppach base 1 is 100mm. Also as I can remember those Workzone ones were around 80-100€ and Sneppach one is 150 in LIDL so big price difference.

You'd need to check the manual for the exact model to be sure. This review of a 2017 Workzone bandsaw says that his Workzone manual includes a 3 year manufacturers warranty covered by Scheppach, so I expect it's the same: https://cianoflynn.github.io/aldi-2017-bandsaw-review.html

Part of Peter Millard's series is about highlighting the huge price differences that the brand name makes - he calls out the Scheppach/Workzone mini dust extractor in a couple of videos that is the same device with some minor cosmetic and perhiperhal differences, and a substantial price difference, so price isn't really a good means of deciding whether or not like and like are being compared unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kite Runner

Would you have the contact details or name of the place that makes the bandsaw blade up. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Would you have the contact details or name of the place that makes the bandsaw blade up. Thanks

Easy enough https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=bandsaw+blade+hbs20&i=diy&ref=nb_sb_noss.

This Amazon listing has the full range and cheap postage (£7.50 no matter how many blades you order).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Peter Millard has done a whole series of videos on cheap bandsaws (including the Workzone - which I believe is the same Scheppach) which was very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_3HsujJgZE&list=PL7S6M0i1Mz9r3-9wmNhCSUU2aI7UCk9Iq

https://www.axminster.co.uk/media/downloads/102266_manual.pdf

Link to setup manual he discusses.

I picked up the Scheppach Innovation BS today in Lidl.
    Have not opened it: anyone any thoughts on it for light work?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I picked up the Scheppach Innovation BS today in Lidl.
    Have not opened it: anyone any thoughts on it for light work?

Interested to hear how you get on with it!

listermint wrote: »
    Their table saw isn't great. Mine burnt out in short shrift and parts were hard to come by.

Which one did you buy: the recent scheppach offering?
    Interested to hear how you get on with it!
    was hoping someone would give some feedback before I open it!

was hoping someone would give some feedback before I open it!

.. when I get a new piece of machinery home from the shop I'm tearing open the box like a kid on Christmas morning!!

Joking aside, I'm not sure what you're hoping to gain by waiting since you've already purchased it. It's a budget saw and has published capacity (motor power, cutting throat and cutting height). You've watched the reviews on YouTube so you wouldn't have bought it if you expected to be sawing 6 inch high hard wood veneers with it.

Perhaps someone else will come on and say it's the best saw in the price range that they've ever purchased but you'll never know that they only use it for 6mm MDF so maybe it won't work out for you. Or perhaps someone else will come on and say that it's terrible having melted a few blades trying to resaw some illegal amazonian hardwood when it might work fine for your needs .. so It's really all about your own intended use for the saw.

Since I don't have this one I can't comment on it but I can say that I've got several tools from Lidl (Einhell and Grizzly Tools under the Parkside labels) in my workshop; they're all a bit **** but they all do the job until I can afford something better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Anyone know what size the bags of bark are and the price?

Can't see anything on website garden section

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Anyone know what size the bags of bark are and the price?

Can't see anything on website garden section
    60L 4 euro

Advertisement