Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

G Suite

• 01-02-2019 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

What is the advantage to having G Suite. I pay €15 per month and not sure what it’s for. My web designer set it up when I got a new web site designed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

ChoKuRay wrote: »
    What is the advantage to having G Suite. I pay €15 per month and not sure what it’s for. My web designer set it up when I got a new web site designed
    Likely for email hosting, I use it myself and it's excellent. You can tell my going to https://ail.google.com and logging in with your new domain email address / password.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The main advantage of G Suite is that you get to add email addresses ending in your domain name - i.e. user@mydomain.com, rather than user@gmail.com. Email addresses ending in your domain name are generally considered to be more professional looking.

Aside from that, it's quite a similar service to regular GMail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

This is something I've wondered too and could never really find a good answer. I already pay for Google Drive (100GB) so would there be any advantage to signing up to G Suite?
    PropJoe10 wrote: »
    The main advantage of G Suite is that you get to add email addresses ending in your domain name
    You can do that with Gmail for free already.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Scotty # wrote: »
    You can do that with Gmail for free already.

I thought they'd stopped the custom domains for free apart from legacy accounts.

IIRC gmail with a custom domain is something like €6/month per inbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ChoKuRay

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    The main advantage of G Suite is that you get to add email addresses ending in your domain name - i.e. user@mydomain.com, rather than user@gmail.com. Email addresses ending in your domain name are generally considered to be more professional looking.

Aside from that, it's quite a similar service to regular GMail.

Ah ok so I am paying monthly just to have info@...... and also the two separate email accounts with our name on it. Hmm....Its a lot really for just that facility. I wonder if there is another option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

GSuite comes into its own when you have multiple user accounts and want cloud email with centralised administration. If you're solo and will never have employees, then Gmail might be sufficient as a workaround.

Google GSuite from $5/user/month
    It's "Gmail, but with your own domain name". You can use the Gmail smartphone apps, etc. It's brilliant, it's fast, always up, and if you want rid of technical issues with email, this is my #1 recommendation.

If you want some other options:

Microsoft Office/Outlook/Exchange Online (I'm not sure the correct name for this, I think they've changed it a few times) from $5/user/month
    Good if you use Word/Excel/etc as licence is included in the premium plan

ZohoMail Free (5 accounts, 5GB per user) or $3/user/month for 30GB per user
    I haven't used it but heard very good things about it and free is good.

Rackspace Email Hosting $2/user/month
    Basic but very low-cost, again I haven't used it but heard good things about it

You can read more about cloud email and options here: https://zapier.com/blog/best-email-hosting-services/

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ChoKuRay

Resurrecting this post as I never did anything about changing the website and removing gsuite.
    Now I really want rid of it. My websites WordPress and I am not
    Sure how
    To take it off the website and pop in a regular gmail address. My hosting is with black night. Is this something they can help me with. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

You should not need to lose your email addresses.
    Create the email accounts on blacknight and access them there or forward them to a gmail address and access them via gmail
    You can give gmail control of your email and send from your domain name address info@yourdomain.com via the gmail account.
    Or if you usually use a computer you can access emails with thunderbird, outlook or another email client.
    You will need access to the hosting account and possibly the domain name.
    It is not that difficult to do. (well not after some practice).
    If you need a hand give me a call and I can guide you through,

M.T.D wrote: »
    You should not need to lose your email addresses.
    Create the email accounts on blacknight and access them there or forward them to a gmail address and access them via gmail
    You can give gmail control of your email and send from your domain name address info@yourdomain.com via the gmail account.
    Or if you usually use a computer you can access emails with thunderbird, outlook or another email client.
    You will need access to the hosting account and possibly the domain name.
    It is not that difficult to do. (well not after some practice).
    If you need a hand give me a call and I can guide you through,

I have to say that the email service that comes with web hosting is rarely fit for purpose, including the provider you mentioned, who I use for hosting (mostly legacy accounts), but never for email. It got to the point where I was spending hours every week supporting email issues as a web designer, and those issues were not of my making. I called time, and have only offered Gsuite since. If you want me to give you email with your website, for the last 7 years now it's Gsuite, or on your bike. I no longer have any email customer support tickets - literally none.

Gsuite just works and there's never an issue with delivery or receiving if you set up DKIM, SPF. If mission critical business email isn't worth a fiver a month per email account, it's a bad state of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If you want me to give you email with your website, for the last 7 years now it's Gsuite, or on your bike.

Same policy. Or I'll point MX anywhere you want if you want to do it some other way, but I'm not supporting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I don't find this issue at all with that provider.
    I use free Gmail to pull in and send out emails via that provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

We recently left Gsuite to move to Outlook.

What a f##king nightmare.

I moved everything across for a 10 person company, all fine. But then I cancel the sub to Gsuite. All hell breaks loose on my personal account.

I had set up all my devices with my Gsuite/google apps for business account. I lost all my play purchases, google photos access (how is that a gsuite product- but had them backed up) but most importantly I lost my Google Account that all my devices are signed into.

They said the best thing to do was factory reset the devices but of course after you factory reset it, you are face with 'google verification' which looks for the original account.

Result? Bricked devices. I have 2 tablets, 2 phones and a TV.

If anyone can work out how to change the original google account on an android device, please let me know.

Its amazing, you're a great customer for 7 years and then by pressing the button 'cancel your subscription', you're down €2k. :mad::mad:

Any ideas?

Advertisement