Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still use Ipods/MP3 player/Walkman etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I still have a pretty big MP3 collection on my home server that I never use any more. I used to keep about 30GB of music on my phone(s) to listen to, but as has been said, I've had absolutely zero issues using Spotify for the last couple of years, so I have no music on my phone now. Spotify buffers quite far ahead, which means any dead spots in coverage cause no interruption.

Haven't had to fly for work in about 6 years, and when you fly with kids you don't get any opportunity to stick in earphones and zone out. But if I ever find myself flying again (sob), I could stick some music on my phone.

My daughter has an MP3 player because they're cheap as chips and she's too young for internet access.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I swapped from MP3 to smartphone when it became difficult to get MP3 players with large storage that weren't an ipod (I refused to be forced to use itunes). I did love my creative zen before that. I still use locally stored music rather than streaming for the most part. Some stuff isn't on spotify and I like to support smaller artists by buying directly.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

i found my old Sony walkman, and a few tapes, connected it to the aux in the car, old school.......

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I was a late adopter of smartphones and persevered for a good few years with my Sansa MP3 player. It's small size was handy for exercise. I used to download podcast files on my laptop (back in the days when podcasts weren't cool) and port them over to the MP3 player via USB for listening when running/walking. A wired set of headphones as well. Christ, it's hard to believe that's only a few years ago. Seems positively antiquated now.

I'd rather use something smaller that a phone but it's just too damn handy nowadays with podcast apps, data connection on the go, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I listen to my 160GB ipod all the time. That and vinyl and cd's are how I listen to music.

Don't think I'll ever use Spotify or stream music until there is no other choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭O'Neill

Don't understand what's so obsolete about ipods or mp3 players in general. Your phone only holds so much storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

O'Neill wrote: »
    Don't understand what's so obsolete about ipods or mp3 players in general. Your phone only holds so much storage.

They don't stream silly! So using a smarphone one doesn't have to use the storage at all.

I was just about to get a 128GB card for my phone (inexpensive nowadays) for music but got Tidal (spotify equivialnt) instead. Thanks Bargain Alerts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Loads of good old music on mp3 discs so i bought last month a new mp3 player to listen them again

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

o1s1n wrote: »
    What's your favourite humming noise?
    It's called "fluorescent lights".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Just Spotify on my phone. Used have iPods etc but not any more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Strumms wrote: »
    Spotify on my phone does me..it never misses a beat on WiFi or 4G... all you can eat data with 3 thankfully ...

When I was living and working abroad I had a decent Sony CD Walkman, I had an hour to travel to and from work and it had me relaxed, just made best of mix cds so I’d have about an hours worth of music.

After that a really brilliant bit of kit, a creative Zen, anybody remember these ? Tiny but some sound.

61BTfyKOs8L._AC_SS450_.jpg

I still have the big brother of that Zen

Creative_Zen_Main.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I still use a CD player. Sounds better to me, I turn everything off and just sit back and listen. I need to have the art lyrics/thanks booklet.

Recently got a record player for the first time. It's great and I love how you are more or less forced to listen to a record from start to finish just a great experience and not disposable like listening to music on a phone. CDs are dirt cheap though so most of the time I'll get the CD but if I really like an album and I don't already have it, I'll get the Vinyl.

Use Youtube to listen to music if I'm curious about new music or if I'm just browsing online.

Best MP3 I had hands down was a Phillips GoGear.
    I agree with every point you make there, even about the Phillips GoGear. :D

This is the model I had:
    550349.PNG

It was a small little thing but the battery would last for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I agree with every point you make there, even about the Phillips GoGear. :D

This is the model I had:
    550349.PNG

It was a small little thing but the battery would last for weeks.

Yeah for the price they were great little units. I had two, the first I had I lost in a house share. I loved how it would finish playing the song before the battery went :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I only got a smart phone in 2016 so used a discman until then when commuting on bus / train.
    My daughter uses it occasionally.
    Been WFH for over a year so most music listening is via turntable or CD player. I still buy loads of both formats.
    If I go out walking, I bring the phone and use Spotify or iTunes.
    Driving - CDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Tork

O'Neill wrote: »

High end phones have loads of space. I have a OnePlus and it has 190GB free.

Tork wrote: »
    High end phones had loads of space. I have a OnePlus and it has 190GB free.

Yes, it's changed in recent years. I have 256GB of which iTunes takes up 90GB. My iTunes on my PC is about 150GB but I rotate what goes on the phone. I use 320 kbps bit rate for the mp3s which is fine for that sort of listening and doesn't take up huge room.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I still use Winamp.
    Have circa 15000 mp3s which the oldest are probably 20 years old now, use them and winamp on the home computer hooked up to speakers and juts put it on random...never found anything to better it.
    Spotify, streaming etc, I never bothered with...why would I pay for something that I already have?
    Never listen to music when walking/running/cycling, have a 2gb USB stick in the car with mp3s that I can play though the radio.
    Have a few old mp3 players lying about, a project in the back of my mind is to bring them back to life and use, some of them are gorgeous pieces of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭sxt

Your not a music fan if your best source of listening to music is a phone and phone earphones

sxt wrote: »
    Your not a music fan if your best source of listening to music is a phone and phone earphones

I was recently told that "Anybody who purchases CDs or still has them in their collection can't call themselves a true music fan."

The guy who said it to me was a 100% Born Again Vinyl Junkie who ignored the format until recent years.

I've bought vinyl since 1981, CDs since 1986. I love both formats. But the increasingly popularity of the former has really brought out a weird form of snobbery and oneupmanship that wasn't there in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,694 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I was recently told that "Anybody who purchases CDs or still has them in their collection can't call themselves a true music fan."

The guy who said it to me was a 100% Born Again Vinyl Junkie who ignored the format until recent years.

I've bought vinyl since 1981, CDs since 1986. I love both formats. But the increasingly popularity of the former has really brought out a weird form of snobbery and oneupmanship that wasn't there in the past.

The vinyl junkie is ok, but the vinyl snob like the one you mention is a weird dickhead specimen.. they think they are some hard boiled muso.... and everything and everyone is wrong for playing CD’s and listening to Spotify... :rolleyes:

A fella I worked with years ago was one.. a total zzzzzzzz with him. A borefest of a human, they all are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Psychlops

I have & still use an Ipod shuffle, I fondly remember using the Walkman in bed listening to Oasis around that era (Im 38) & then the jump from that to a Sony Discman!

The joys of the discman until maybe one day you dropped or bumped it off something & from that day forth it would skip.

Remember I used to walk around Galway City & if I put one foot wrong it would skip :mad::pac:

On the Ipod shuffle I still have all my old stuff, Oasis,Pulp mixed in with the Strokes/Metallica & some rap, new music is no good these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm still using one of these.

Sansa1.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Livewire anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Livewire anyone?

Limewire

jesus those were the days, remember another service starting with a K (cant think of the name). Some stressful time putting artwork/sorting tracks and then the bloody computer viruses

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Livewire anyone?

My oldest mp3s are from Napster and Limewire. I think some of my older mp3s have been on the go since 2000. Still have some of them on my phone.

Strumms wrote: »
    The vinyl junkie is ok, but the vinyl snob like the one you mention is a weird dickhead specimen.. they think they are some hard boiled muso.... and everything and everyone is wrong for playing CD’s and listening to Spotify... :rolleyes:

A fella I worked with years ago was one.. a total zzzzzzzz with him. A borefest of a human, they all are.

Yeah, vinyl junkies are fine; I am one. It’s the new breed of snob I can’t figure out. It’s like they’re over compensating for not buying records in the lean years. To them, it’s actually all about the format, not the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Still use an iPod, having migrated from Creative Zen in the day (and from minidiscs before that). When my last iPod bit the dust, I went with Spotify, but it didn't really suit. Was paying the subscription to listen to stuff I already owned, as well as finding it annoying when the WiFi went down, or a song/album was withdrawn from the service (or was never put up there in the first place). I still use it to check out new music though, it's handy enough for that.

sxt wrote: »
    Your (sic) not a music fan if your best source of listening to music is a phone and phone earphones
    That isn't what this thread is about. It was asking if anyone still uses an MP3 player. Portable audio when you're out and about isn't the same as what you'll use at home.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I'm still using one of these.

Sansa1.jpg

I had one like that and it was a great little player until I left it behind me in the college library. Never saw it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Tork wrote: »
    I had one like that and it was a great little player until I left it behind me in the college library. Never saw it again.

I still find it great. I use a different firmware on it called Rockbox. It allows for a much better range on the GQ and gives me the ability to create the kind of sound I want. I tend to prefer a warm, full, sound with a lot of bottom end to it and I've never been able to get another player that has equalled it. They're nearly all mostly mid range and treble orientated and I hate that.

TBH, I can't imagine being without it. I might get another one off eBay, just to have a spare when the current one croaks it.

I honestly cannot even contemplate walking around listening to music on my phone. The battery would be dead in an hour.

Advertisement