Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you still use Ipods/MP3 player/Walkman etc

Options
  • 15-04-2021 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭

Do you still use an Ipod/MP3 Player/Walkman etc or with the arrival of easy to access streaming services/mobile data do you exclusively use your phone ?

Nowadays i would use my phone to listen to music 90% of the time (Spotify mostly with a few mp3's) but still keep my Ipod touch updated and bring it along when i'm on trips to save battery on my phone/on planes etc

Wireless bluetooth buds are also a life saver, had 2 pairs of galaxy bubs and have an older sport ones (bubs with a short chain/magnet)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,668 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tell us more about things you used in the olden days, grandad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Tork

Not for years. I took my iPod out of a drawer a while ago and charged it up for old time's sake. The iPod click wheel was a really nice navigation system in its time but I've been spoiled by phone touchscreens. My phone has far more spare space on it than the iPod ever did but I have never bothered to put much music onto it. Mostly I use Spotify. If I'm going to be out an about for the day and plan to use my phone heavily, I bring a power bank with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

My old classic ipod, battered and bruised as it is, is connected to the car stereo and gets used daily. Will stay that way until I get a car with wireless android auto.
    The prices for ipod's is extortionate on ebay at the moment so still most be plenty of demand.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Just remember if we'd spent the same amount of money on Apple shares at the time we'd be rich.. But yes, have a few iPod's etc sitting around that have not seen light of day in long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Still carry a boom box on the shoulder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

My phone has a high end audio chip thus is way better than any mp3 player I previouly owned. So no, but I still have a few mp3 players that still work, 5 or so. I'm loath to bin them. Actually the odd time I'll take the mp3 player when out jogging, say if my phone is low on power. I still have a Sansa Clip that works, it's an inch in length. iPods were my least favourie mp3 player incidentally. I didn't like that circle navigation thing at all. Cowen's had the best sound quality followed by Sony, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I recently bought a turntable and a cassette converter.
    My vinyl has been stored away for too long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I recently bought a turntable and a cassette converter.
    My vinyl has been stored away for too long

2 x SL1210's still in situ.. give them a spin every now and then. A fairly large vinyl collection of 1990's club music. Can't beat vinyl for true authenticity

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

iPod? Pah.

?width=375&version=1561581

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Me. Earlier.

depositphotos_12301321-stock-photo-listening-to-gramophone.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I can absolutely see why people prefer the ceremony and sound of physical music like vinyl or CD but using MP3 players over streaming seems almost wilfully retro.

Each to their own obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Use my phone for streaming audio, and my turntable when listening at home.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I remember saving for what seemed like ages in the mid 2000s from my college job to save for an iPod Nano. I spent ages ripping all my cds. I loved the click wheel on it. Before that I had been using a portable cd player that ate batteries before upgrading to a mini disc.

I still have my mp3 collection from 15 odd years ago (and all my cds, haven't touched them in years) but these days I just use Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Pamsteer

I use my phone exclusively. I tend to stream podcasts but when I get some time I plan to download a lot of them so that I don't have to listen to ads or have to listen to a particular sequence, especially when driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I still use a CD player. Sounds better to me, I turn everything off and just sit back and listen. I need to have the art lyrics/thanks booklet.

Recently got a record player for the first time. It's great and I love how you are more or less forced to listen to a record from start to finish just a great experience and not disposable like listening to music on a phone. CDs are dirt cheap though so most of the time I'll get the CD but if I really like an album and I don't already have it, I'll get the Vinyl.

Use Youtube to listen to music if I'm curious about new music or if I'm just browsing online.

Best MP3 I had hands down was a Phillips GoGear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Still listen to Mp3's but just use a USB to transport them, Ipods & Iplayers were a nightmare, made sorting out music feel like a chore which it shouldn't & they only played a certain format which didn't work on other media players. Wav files had the best sound of any digital format but they were also about x5 times bigger than a mp3,wma acc etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Spotify on my phone does me..it never misses a beat on WiFi or 4G... all you can eat data with 3 thankfully ...

When I was living and working abroad I had a decent Sony CD Walkman, I had an hour to travel to and from work and it had me relaxed, just made best of mix cds so I’d have about an hours worth of music.

After that a really brilliant bit of kit, a creative Zen, anybody remember these ? Tiny but some sound.

61BTfyKOs8L._AC_SS450_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I can absolutely see why people prefer the ceremony and sound of physical music like vinyl or CD but using MP3 players over streaming seems almost wilfully retro.

The music from streaming sites is butchered with compression, once you hear the difference its hard to go back, I'd rather just listen to Radio Nova or 4fm than try to ignore that tinny weak Spotify sound.

I use a Sansa Clip Zip on the go, replaced all my mp3s and cds with FLAC versions for lossless audio a while back, it's the size of a postage stamp but takes a 128gb sd card and is known for its amazing sound, I don't know what I'll do when it dies, I'll be lost without it. At home I still output Winamp to a massive Sony hifi that's nearly 20 years old now.

zip2-1-320x187.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Strumms wrote: »
    Spotify on my phone does me..it never misses a beat on WiFi or 4G... all you can eat data with 3 thankfully ...

When I was living and working abroad I had a decent Sony CD Walkman, I had an hour to travel to and from work and it had me relaxed, just made best of mix cds so I’d have about an hours worth of music.

After that a really brilliant bit of kit, a creative Zen, anybody remember these ? Tiny but some sound.

61BTfyKOs8L._AC_SS450_.jpg

I remember that one, never owned it though. I had quite a few Creative mp3 players, the Zen Micro being my favourite. It had a whopping 4gb of hard drive memory which I swapped out for a 16GB compact flash card, which was quite the upgrade at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Anything I’ve had manufactured by creative was very good, their outlier headphones are on right now, superb..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not even heard of most of those things. And I don't have TV or radio just a simply pay as you go phone and youtube. .

Silence, and the ocean wind, my music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I've got a Astell & Kern AK70II which was a pretty high end DAP a few years ago. I can't listen to streaming music for some reason. Maybe its psychological but I don't feel anything when I hear it. Can beat the feeling of listening to your favorite CD's and Vinyl on a Hifi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Use an ipod touch as i listen to a lot of podcasts and have big playlists on spotify which eats into a lot of the memory

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Not since the Sony Ericsson K750/W800 phones were released. I've been copying that ever growing music folder between phones for quite a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I just hum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

CD is digital, same files as the MP3 player just in more awkward form. As for streaming, not much use when a good 1/3 of my rail commute has no signal, I'll have my local media, thanks.

Yes, mostly for travel though. Cheap mp3 clips on and if it breaks / gets lost it's not a big deal.

And when you are 30000 feet in the air? Or going through a tunnel? Or outside Europe?

Lots of occasions where there's **** all signal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Still use my iPod Touch 3rd Gen as there are albums I have on it that aren't available on Spotify (eg. XTC - Apple Venus)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

biko wrote: »
    I just hum.

What's your favourite humming noise?

Advertisement