Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ruining a wedding

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Not as amusing as many,but as a child I attended my grandmothers wedding.
    She'd been widowed twice alteady so this was her third marriage.
    My brother ( maybe 6 or 7,and obviously keen to show off his knowledge of history) stood up during a quiet moment of the ceremony and said 'Granny's been married so many times she's like Henry the eighth'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Was at one wedding of a close friend and his bit on the side turned up. We were well aware of the relationship but were floored when we realized he invited her. She was a school friend of ours. Bride didn't cop it anyway and wedding went off ok.

One wedding was ruined though, brides cousin pleaded if she could bring her new boyfriend. Bride fit him in at short notice. He ended up drunk very early, made a show of himself, annoyed loads of us and started a few arguments with other guests. After being told to cop on, he decided he had enough and was driving home. From meath to Waterford! Didn't make it out of his parking space before he hit his first car, then hit 4 or 5 others which included rental cars from people over from u.k.
    This was about 8 or 9 o clock. Anyway, taken out of car, police called, he was arrested and taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

I spilled red wine on the brides dress.

For weeks later I thought it was just a drunken dream and didn't think I did actually spill red wine on a brides white wedding dress, until they said it in passing one day.

They are a sound couple and laughed about it. She said she was on her way up to change anyway.

I'm just glad my memory of that evening is empty

I wonder will there be any dramatics at my wedding? I might need to have a look at the list.

17larsson wrote: »
    I spilled red wine on the brides dress.

For weeks later I thought it was just a drunken dream and didn't think I did actually spill red wine on a brides white wedding dress, until they said it in passing one day.

They are a sound couple and laughed about it. She said she was on her way up to change anyway.

I'm just glad my memory of that evening is empty

Oh yeah plus ones are risky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

A cousin’s wedding around 10 years.

His bride was seriously fit, absolute savage rack. The best man was hammered early on. He referred to the bride as “some ride”, said “I’d love to ride her” and then made reference to the fact that they were living together for quite a while

“at least John has had the benefit of living with Mary for the last year. If it was like the old days, his train would leave the station awful fast later on tonight”

Before making that “0” gesture with his right hand and putting the middle finger of his left hand into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Daragh1980 wrote: »

His bride was seriously fit, absolute savage rack. The best man was hammered early on. He referred to the bride as “some ride”, said “I’d love to ride her” and then made reference to the fact that they were living together for quite a while

“at least John has had the benefit of living with Mary for the last year. If it was like the old days, his train would leave the station awful fast later on tonight”

Before making that “0” gesture with his right hand and putting the middle finger of his left hand into it.

Classy

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Daragh1980 wrote: »

Les Denis anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

About 5 or 6 years ago I was at a wedding where the best man insulted homosexuals and disabled people in his speech. Extremely uncomfortable for everyone in the room that day. Still don't know what he was thinking.

Priest at my brother's reception did something very similar, also threw in a comment about "blacks".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Notmything wrote: »
    Priest at my brother's reception did something very similar, also threw in a comment about "blacks".

Priest at a mates cousins wedding used the sermon to rant about the same sex marriage referendum.

Significant % of the guests walked out and stood outside until the couple came out.

Groom ensured he handed cash to the altar servers, organist etc personally, and asked the priest what the cost for the flowers was. Nothing for the 'expected' amount to the priest.

Priest decided not to come to the reception!

Arguably, not something that unexpected or abnormal for a religious wedding - you should know their rules/beliefs before using their facilities, but a ten minute rant was OTT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

screamer wrote: »
    I can better it, wasn’t at this wedding but here goes. A couple got married on a day when there was a 24 hour fast for charity thing, used to be popular a few years back. Anyways guests arrive to the reception, separated into 2 rooms, let’s say 40% given full dinner etc, the other 60% sat down to a bowl of rice and a note on the table to say that as it was fasting for charity day, 60% of people in the world have less than a bowl of rice to eat everyday and the couple had done this in solidarity and instead donated the cost of their food to the appeal, and they’d have rice only.I sh:t you not.

Surely this is a wind up?

Where did this wedding take place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭gifted

About 5 or 6 years ago I was at a wedding where the best man insulted homosexuals and disabled people in his speech. Extremely uncomfortable for everyone in the room that day. Still don't know what he was thinking.

What a backwards thinking fool. Ignorant people like that should be taken aside and educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I used to work in a hotel that did weddings so I've seen plenty of shennanigans.

I've seen a bride get a box in the face off some guy at her wedding.

I've seen the mother of the bride get totally p1ssed and rip a towel roll thingie off the wall in the ladies toilet.

Here's a good one. I've seen the father of the bride spit on the groom and get up from the top table and walk out of the wedding just as the dinner was being served. Very classy that one.

I've seen another father of the bride get up from the top table and leave because one of the waiters served someone else's dinner to them first before he got his. If he had sat still, he would have gotten his dinner about 6 seconds later. Obviously there must have been more going on there than we knew about.

The best craic I ever had in work was working at a Traveller's wedding. There was murder but it was so much fun to work at. You'd pay to see the shennanigans. No seating plan. Men at some tables and women at other tables. One man refused to sit down for his dinner because "I'm not hungry boss. I ate a whole rabbit in Charlie O'Leary's house this morning". There was loads of boxing at it. People in the holiday homes couldn't get down to their houses because vans were used to block the car park exit while Armageddon was going on. I think that wedding ultimately cost the General Manager his job.

L1011 wrote: »
    Priest at a mates cousins wedding used the sermon to rant about the same sex marriage referendum.

Significant % of the guests walked out and stood outside until the couple came out.

Groom ensured he handed cash to the altar servers, organist etc personally, and asked the priest what the cost for the flowers was. Nothing for the 'expected' amount to the priest.

Priest decided not to come to the reception!

Arguably, not something that unexpected or abnormal for a religious wedding - you should know their rules/beliefs before using their facilities, but a ten minute rant was OTT.

In my brother's case the mass went off without a hitch.

Priest was a family friend so was at the reception, got well into a bottle of whiskey and was asked to a say few words.

Stood up, staggered and sat back down, proceeds to say some nice things. Then he cuts lose, comments how nice it is to be at a wedding for straights not a "queer fest". Mentions both families have good genes as he sees no "retards" or "spastics" in the room.

Finally, he commented that how nice that the only "blacks" he could see were working and not guests. Muttered something about Ireland losing its religion because of the foreigners before the mike was grabbed off him.

For me what was worse was my brother, new sister in law and some of her family cracked themselves up. Her lesbian sister didn't see the funny side.

That was just one thing in a reception that is still talked about.

Oh, I forgot. My own wedding.

This didn't ruin the wedding, it just added to the excitement and memorability but this happened when my best man was reading his speech.

He was doing a grand job, no insults etc. But he had a pile of pages and as he read a page, he discarded it onto the table. But there were tea lights on the table and one of the pages caught fire when it landed on the tea light and set fire to the top table. He put it out in about 1 second flat but it was funny when it happened. Especially as he is a member of the local fire brigade. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I wonder will there be any dramatics at my wedding? I might need to have a look at the list.

We'll all gatecrash roaring drunk and talk about a contentious topic, then start asking for the report button and mods.

Priest was a family friend so was at the reception, got well into a bottle of whiskey and was asked to a say few words.

Stood up, staggered and sat back down, proceeds to say some nice things. Then he cuts lose, comments how nice it is to be at a wedding for straights not a "queer fest". Mentions both families have good genes as he sees no "retards" or "spastics" in the room.

Finally, he commented that how nice that the only "blacks" he could see were working and not guests. Muttered something about Ireland losing its religion because of the foreigners before the mike was grabbed off him.

For me what was worse was my brother, new sister in law and some of her family cracked themselves up. Her lesbian sister didn't see the funny side.

And I thought priests were boring fcukers. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The only things that are ever remembered about weddings are the things that go wrong

We'll all gatecrash roaring drunk and talk about a contentious topic, then start asking for the report button and mods.

Savour looking at all those yellow and red cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Never have a wedding next to a pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I was an altar boy at a wedding where the groom was stood up. Thought the bride was running late and then in came the bridesmaid up to yer man. There was no real dramatics, a bit of noise and everyone just awkwardly wandered off.

This was also one those unusual weddings during school time. So being the trust worthy types we were, we just ran to back to class. Normally our teacher had very little patience for weddings that interrupted our education, but when we got back he wanted to talk about nothing else.

I came in to post something similar. It has to be the ultimate ruining of a wedding. The wedding I was at also had the bridesmaid come in an hour after the kickoff time. The priest was at the door of the church pissed off surrounded by guests having a smoke and a gossip. She ran straight passed him and he ran after her. with the rest of us. A brief chat was had at the altar and then the groom, bridesmaid and priest went backstage. A minute later and the crying screams of the groom were deafening.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I came in to post something similar. It has to be the ultimate ruining of a wedding. The wedding I was at also had the bridesmaid come in an hour after the kickoff time. The priest was at the door of the church pissed off surrounded by guests having a smoke and a gossip. She ran straight passed him and he ran after her. with the rest of us. A brief chat was had at the altar and then the groom, bridesmaid and priest went backstage. A minute later and the crying screams of the groom were deafening.

I'll never understand why they wait until the poor groom is waiting in the church, as least the bride gets a heads up and isn't humiliated like that.

The only things that are ever remembered about weddings are the things that go wrong

Such is life sadly.

Savour looking at all those yellow and red cards.

I, for one, shall indignantly protest my innocence. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Jesus. That brown wedding.

Put it in a movie and nobody would accept it. Extreme.

What is this brown wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My cousins first wedding, she got married to a little 5ft nothing scruffball the image of a younger Bobby Ball, marrying beneath her in every sense..the wedding was a disaster, the best man arrived at the church absolutely hammered drunk, he was sent packing and my dad stepped in to be best man... some of the behaviors of both the groom and his family and friends was shîte quite frankly...

The groom later with a bit of Dutch courage on board decided it would be a good idea at the reception to commandeer the mic and sing and ‘seranade’ his new bride, going right up to where she was sat, down on one knee and belting out everything from Rod Stewart to Andy Williams to Chris De Burgh without so much as a note in his head...or need for a mic for that matter. Band were in creases. It stopped being funny after three songs and everyone just looked in amazement at what a tosser she was marrying...Mental... his father n law eventually got up, ripped the mic off him had a word with him to one side, my uncle Mick would have been a mild mannered well to do kind of man but he was seething and flinging expletives left and right...

Turned into a decent night but a lot of people in the aftermath were saying .. “can’t see that lasting”... lasted 3 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Real life Fr Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

The only wedding I've attended had an Irish bride and English groom. Grooms side of the church was full, brides side almost empty bar her family because the Irish guests hadn't the manners to not stay in the pub during the ceremony.

Said Irish guests had organised a bus to the reception, a 20 minute drive away, which left for the hotel half empty because people just plain refused to go. The bus stopped at every pub on the way and lost a few stragglers at every stop. 10 people got off the bus at the hotel.

The meal was attended by less than 50% of the invited Irish guests meaning wasted food and quite a sad sight on the wedding video of half empty tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Kind of. Twas me that did the ruining. Won't go into any more detail than that. Great satisfaction from it though

go on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Covid. Ruined thousands of weddings.....

Advertisement