Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

popsy09 wrote: »
    recently i was short 50c cent in subway while on lunch with a friend , i asked him for the 50c and his reply was "ill give ya a fiver as ya wont give me back just 50c ":eek:

I laughed at this. Your friend is actually a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

bluewolf wrote: »
    Ah that's not so bad though

Nice of him
    Morbid, but nice

I know a guy up in Walkinstown. He's in his 70's, was a carpenter all his life and he made the two coffins for himself and his wife.

His logic ?

"I worked hard all my life, had no cash when I was young, material cost me €500 and I'm buggered if €4000 of my life savings are going on something that I can build myself. The kids and grandkids can enjoy the money".

Perfectly sound logic in my book, he made the coffins about 5 years ago, they're wrapped up and stored up in the rafters of the garage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Coffins and funerals are too darn expensive anyway. I'd hate the thought of somebody spending a couple of grand on something that was just going to be covered in 6 foot of dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,895 ✭✭✭thesandeman

fussyonion wrote: »
    I laughed at this. Your friend is actually a genius.

I do that all the time. It's a lot easier to pursue somebody for a twenty than for the 'can you get me two pints and I'll get you next time?' line.

My current balance is -30 which I know I will get back in a couple of days as the borrowers don't want me asking for it back in public.

I occasionally get a pint as interest as well so everybody's happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

seanbarrow wrote: »
    The father of a friend of mine once put 50c of petrol into a car before selling it, after running out close to the petrol station

It has been 2 euro minimum charge at petrol stations for at least 10 years, must have been a while ago?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HarryLime

Red Kev wrote: »
    I know a guy up in Walkinstown. He's in his 70's, was a carpenter all his life and he made the two coffins for himself and his wife.

His logic ?

"I worked hard all my life, had no cash when I was young, material cost me €500 and I'm buggered if €4000 of my life savings are going on something that I can build myself. The kids and grandkids can enjoy the money".

Perfectly sound logic in my book, he made the coffins about 5 years ago, they're wrapped up and stored up in the rafters of the garage.

My father knows an elderly lady who has lived in Dublin most of her life, but is originally from the same small townland down the country that he is from. Both families have ‘family plots’ in the local graveyard. A few years ago he was telling me that when a family member of that lady had died a short while previous to that, when the gravestone on the plot was being updated with the recently deceased’s details, this lady had them also engrave her name and details (with just the year of her passing being left out obviously) on the gravestone. Apparently because it was just more ‘cost effective’ to do it all in one go!

I didn’t believe that story when I first heard it, but the next time we happened to be in that graveyard we went up to have a look. Name and birth year on grave stone, but no year of death. A bit too morbid for me I think, to see your own name on a gravestone anytime happened to visit the family grave!

And yes, the townland is in Cavan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I don't know if I have posted this before but my wife's grandad was an notorious stingebag.
    He was obsessed with keeping the heating off and electricity/water use to a minimum to keep bills down,
    the first thing he ever said to me was "Did you use the shower this morning ? "
    I asked my then gf what the hell he meant by this and she told me cos it was of the cost of the hot water.

You'd see him creep around the house at night like a ghost turning off the heating - in the middle of winter.
    He lived in the most basic depressing room which consisted of - A bed that was probably bought (or found) back in 1936
    A very basic rickedy small table and chair.

A crucifix on the wall.

Nothing else, no carpet just basic tiles, no curtains, just these shutters that houses are built with here.

The clothes he wore looked 30 years old.
    He died at 97 , he avoided a lot of tax during his life (working for cash mainly) so had a very basic pension.

He still left €120,000 in his will.

True Story.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 seanbarrow

M5 wrote: »
    It has been 2 euro minimum charge at petrol stations for at least 10 years, must have been a while ago?

Well spotted, i meant 50p. Was in the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

the_monkey wrote: »
    ...The clothes he wore looked 30 years old.
    He died at 97 , he avoided a lot of tax during his life (working for cash mainly) so had a very basic pension.

He still left €120,000 in his will.

True Story.

Leads a stingey miserable existence to save the pennies everywhere.

Dies and it goes to someone else anyway.

Kind of sums up the futility of being a stinge bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

No he is a bo***x , the same guy who used to wait for free food came home one evening delighted , he had went into a phone box and found a burger, came home and heated it up, he also used to buy a bag of potatoes and count them out 3-4 each day for a week, haha imagine living with that, some crack watching him,

I feel the thread skipped past this.

Where is this wonderful Burger generating phonebox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Triangla wrote: »
    Leads a stingey miserable existence to save the pennies everywhere.

Dies and it goes to someone else anyway.

Kind of sums up the futility of being a stinge bag.

Exactly !!! he was rich, but lived a poor mans life.

he really was a miserable c*nt, all the way to the end he'd lambast them for having the lights on , heating etc .... did he think the afterlife is a stay in a 7 star hotel or what ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭SG8

Awh I love this thread(s) :) haven't read it in about 4 weeks, the best thing about that is you can skip through all the unnecessary bull**** and just read the posts with a decent amount of 'thanks' knowing that they're going to be as stingy as my effort to read every post. So thanks guys :)

Anyway, only something small to contribute but I was boredly flicking through the unknown channels of Sky today when I came across a programme on TLC called 'Extreme cheapskates'. Has anyone ever seen it? I imagine some of the things in it belong in here. Only seen the last 5/10 minutes of it but just seen a few clips of the Mother of the family haggling down the price of a few tees for her daughters in a charity shop. She expressed how if she misses out on an opportunity to save even a small bit if money it could make or break her mood for the week. Finally all birthday and Xmas gifts in the house must be homemade (fair enough) It then showed the family going out on a day together along some road to search for roadkill to use the fur of dead animals for material for making clothing/earring feathers etc...

Guess that's just the way they do things and hey they definetly save a lot of money I wish I had to spend haha. But the main point of this overwritten post is to bring up the topic of this show. I'd say some of the stingy people talked about in this thread have the box set of this programme... provided they got it free... as a present from a relation... who they'll give it back to in return as a Xmas present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I lived with a mate who use to give out about filling tne kettle too much as he use to tell us it cost more when full.He use to measure the cups when filling it

Same mate never showered in the day as electricity was cheaper at night

Third and last he use to ask for drinks at maccy d's without ice as they he claimed the drinks were all ice and no coke

Well AH have you met people like this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

You got a problem with the stingy people thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I do 2 of the 3 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

specialun, you should talk to ivabigwun

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I bet you don't complain when the esb bill arrives ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Specialun wrote: »
    I lived with a mate who use to give out about filling tne kettle too much as he use to tell us it cost more when full.He use to measure the cups when filling it

Third and last he use to ask for drinks at maccy d's without ice as they he claimed the drinks were all ice and no coke

He's dead right about maccyD's, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

He's being smart with his money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

He is right with No 1 and No 3...and there is electricity providers, that have the same tariff 24/7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭geckovision

pablo128 wrote: »
    He's dead right about maccyD's, by the way.

Sacrificing an ice cold drink for a few extra ml's of warm coke? That's just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

too mean to contribute to the stinge thread are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

People think they can live forever, my opinion is you can't take it with you so you may as well enjoy it while you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Sacrificing an ice cold drink for a few extra ml's of warm coke? That's just stupid.
    Stupid is paying for a medium Coke, only to find it's half Coke and half frozen water.
    And how long would you have to leave it sitting there for it to warm up? This is Ireland, not feckin Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

WikiHow wrote: »
    People think they can live forever, my opinion is you can't take it with you so you may as well enjoy it while you can.

Your children might not be happy, if you don't leave anything behind for them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

He is right with No 1

That depends on how often you boil the kettle as it uses less energy to reheat boil water thats already warm rather than starting from ice cold - personally I overfill at the start of the day.

If he was really that stingy though he'd invest in a big thermos - big savings ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

He is right with No 1

That depends on how often you boil the kettle as it uses less energy to reheat boil water thats already warm rather than starting from ice cold - personally I overfill at the start of the day and add enough for a cuppa everytime (which is every half hour).

If he was really that stingy though he'd invest in a big thermos and boil the water on nightsaver rate the night before - big savings ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

I ask for no ice aswell, the drink is chilled from the machine its too cold with ice and you get more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

He's right not to fill the kettle when the whole lot of the water won't be used. Boiling water, and that quickly, is very heavy on electricity.
    I wouldn't be arsed measuring the cups though, a guess is enough!
    That's ok so long as the person doesn't need a shower during the day.
    Nothing too bad there either.

I wouldn't view the above as on a par with people e.g. magically "disappearing" when it's their round.

Advertisement