Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What kind of person beeps a learner driver?

Options
1235»

Comments

Jequ0n wrote: »
    She froze for a whole year?

Yep. Sometimes it only takes one bad experience to destroy someone's confidence.

Even I was shook at the aggressive way she was beeped, and I've been driving for over twenty years, including 3 of those on a motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

cgcsb wrote: »
    The person in question didn't just break the law (most people will at some point) but attempted to murder me. We have an unjust society so depending on the courts wouldn't have given me any satisfaction. The wing mirror did though and in a way was probably a better deterrent for future behaviour than any court could administer.

Criminal damage is not self defence. Next time hit him! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

gypsylee wrote: »
    My son is a learner driver (cos its taking forever to get a test date at the minute!) and drives to work in his own car. I have to go with him and drive the car home. It's great seeing all the frustrated white van men on the motorway when I am driving back home cos of the L plate on the back window. Like a red rag to a bull!

When I was learning I had a little Micra. My partner had to borrow it on occasion. He found other drivers were downright dangerous towards him. Driving right up behind him, overtaking him on bends etc. Far worse then he ever experienced driving his own car.

When I was learning there was one I was turning left onto a busy road. No break in traffic and after about 30 seconds a car came flying up from behind me and pulled beside me to my right (wrong side of road). I realised he had his left indicator on. My instructor told me to let him off first as driver is such a danger it’s safest thing to do. So the guy took his left turn and I am sure felt like a big man doing it. It’s one thing to beep a learner but some drivers are actually dangerous towards then on the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

it amazes me the rage people get themselves into for the sake of a minute or two extra having to wait it's unreal.
    It's why i always laugh when some pig head beeps and someone stops their bike or car and confronts them,
    i always think to myself, good on them i would do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Criminal damage is not self defence. Next time hit him! :)

Reminds me of people who feel entitled to damage cars who they perceive to be parked incorrectly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Learner drivers who take it upon themselves to cut away all the white part of their L plate should be beeped mercilessly.

As should people who affix them backwards or upside down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Do you drive much, I find people will beep because I won't enter a yellow box and block it for example. I was probably exaggerating when I said 'all the time'. It's not all the time, but certainly a weekly event.
    I'm on the road on a daily basis and have been driving in general for thirty plus years, a mix of urban, suburban and rural on different roads, though I generally try to avoid the city centre tbh. Well it was OK during lockdown. And I honestly can't recall the last time I was beeped by another driver. Hell, I can't recall the last time I beeped the horn myself(missus!). For all I know it's stopped working again. Actually now that I think of it... around this time last year. Stopped at the lights on a slight incline, driver in front started to roll backwards and seemed oblivious. So horn blast. Twice, because they didn't cop the first time. Luckily I tend to keep a decent gap between me and the car in front at lights.

Otherwise nope. No beeps, most certainly not on a weekly basis. That's crazy. I doubt I'd be alone in this either. And again I generally take my time and don't speed. I'm that guy on motorways doing 90kph in the inside lane. Take it handy on B roads too, unless the road is empty and I have a clear line of sight and know the road in question. Still no beeping or tailgating.
    He had already attempted and failed to mow me down and I doubt he'd lift his foot high enough to kick anything without some sort of cardiac episode. He remained in the vehicle and was much safer in doing so.
    It's still twattish behaviour and given your description of the driver you felt emboldened enough to push your luck. I'd bet you'd be a lot meeker in the presence of someone who would be on more equal physical terms.

Thankfully I've only been in two fist fights as an adult and the last time was when a cyclist came flying down the wrong way on a one way street and ran into the front of my car(I was barely moving as I'd just come out of a side road). Bit of a shock and an initial and natural concern that they were hurt. I got out of the car to make sure he was alright. This propeller head then got aggressive with me oblivious of his own wrong doing and kicked the front of my car and then went to go for me. After his cough was softened I drove off and actually took care to not run over his bike, because I'm not a twat. Now as it happens I give cyclists a wide berth and am very aware of their vulnerability on our roads so the chances of me cutting one off would be slim, but if anyone kicked my mirror off I wouldn't hesitate in pointing out the error of their ways in no uncertain terms and if they pushed it I'd have no hesitation in responding in kind. I'm not aggressive by nature at all, but...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

it amazes me the rage people get themselves into for the sake of a minute or two extra
    Agreed. What's the mad rush? In my entire life I've had two situations where I actually needed to get somewhere quickly. Luckily both in the middle of the night when the roads were almost empty and I didn't spare the horses(allegedly) that's for sure, but otherwise? Relax the kacks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

same with old folks.. I would never beep at an old folk driving slow.. I might want to - but I wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 13,737 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I wish everyone on the roads would just take a deep breath and ask themselves why they're in such a rush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

mohawk wrote: »
    You learn some great lessons out on the road making errors such as cutting out etc.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

GT89 wrote: »
    The test is not in deserted industrial estates. How are you supposed to get used to driving in different conditions if you've only ever driven in a deserted industrial estate. Think about it.

Sorry, I'm being too cynical.

I've absolutely no doubt that all the provisional drivers on the roads are reluctantly and diligently putting in the bare minimum of hours on public roads in order to sit their tests at the soonest opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

REading this thread has me reminiscing about my own exploits as a learner.

My instructor was a guy called Herbie and he drove a yellow car with the engine in the back. I think it might have been some sort of Renault (Dauphine sound familiar, anyone?). The boot was in the front and it always had a couple of big concrete blocks in it. He said it was to give a more solid feel to the steering. We were three lads who were mad keen to drive and all being 17, weren't drinkers so I spent my £2 pocket money (which I kept back from my wages of £9, giving the rest to Mammy) on driving lessons and cigs. Lessons were £1 an hour, so the three of us would book 3 lessons of an evening and then change places throughout the evening, ostensibly to learn from one another's mistakes. But in reality, the thrill of the driving was the thing, even if you weren't the one behind the wheel.

Herbie got us to drive in all sorts of environments from the beginning. I remember one evening I was behind the wheel on Coolock Lane when it actually was a lane, and the speed limit was 40mph. I was a bit nervous on the bends and tended to ease off the accelerator, but realised the car didn't slow down. Herbie was pressing the duplicate accelerator to keep the speed up :eek: This was probably why I was never beeped to get a move on :pac::pac:

He said I needed to get used to driving at the proper speed. I later checked, and he had 2 pedals on his side - an accelerator and a brake with rods connecting them to the real ones on the driver side. I often wondered if he had made them himself.

(bolded bit above keeps me on topic:D)

Yeah, beep louder and more frequently, that will definitely help to solve the problem and get you to the back of the next queue of cars quicker.
    :rolleyes:

no need to be polluting the busy roads at peak times when they can't even start a car and move away over multiple (5 or 6) attempts on a flat road - do that on a quiet road or car park or industrial estate as said by others.

pure muppetry going out asking for trouble when the most basic of basic skills of actually moving a car is not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Sexually frustrated people beep more.
    And road runners. beep beep
    And sexually frustrated road runners beep a lot.

I would get my meat and 2 veg on a regular basis, and I like to beep ?

Dual control cars do not have an accelerator on the passenger side.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Dual control cars do not have an accelerator on the passenger side.

They don't ?

Doppelbedienungen-fuer-Ihren-Fahrschulwagen.jpg

That's a conversion kit for a German driving instructors car. They most certainly do.

What would be the point of having a dual "control" car when all you get is brakes and clutch ...not much control there.

BTW...these things also have a sensor on the instructor's side. That gets switched on during your driving test. If the instructor only so much as touches one of their pedals during the test, a light comes on and you've failed :D
    You're also not allowed to take your test in your own car (or any other car than an instructor's car inclusive of instructor and dual controls) over there.

OK, typically, they don't.
    Really.

https://www.occars.ie/car-adaptations/dual-controls/

Yeah, the one and only time I was in an instructors car he only had a brake and clutch on his side. Granted this was so long ago there was a lad walking in front with a red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Dual controls are fitted to driving school cars so that the driving instructor can stop the car in the event of a safety critical incident.

Geeez ..the Irish system of driving instruction is even weirder than I thought.
    I never knew that all an Irish instructor gets is a way to stomp on the brakes.

You live and learn...Thanks for pointing this out.

I'm quite glad to have had my driving lessons in a dual control car with all the pedals.
    Especially during the first few lessons, the instructor could give you a helping foot with gas and clutch control (mostly without you even realising that this was happening) to take the edge of overwhelming situations, build your confidence and let you focus on the traffic and road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

It's training them for the real world of driving! People do get beeped at. I'm doing them a favour. I usually beep a 2nd time just as they re start the car for some extra teaching.

Pavlov's horn

• Registered Users Posts: 28,365 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

glasso wrote: »
    no need to be polluting the busy roads at peak times when they can't even start a car and move away over multiple (5 or 6) attempts on a flat road - do that on a quiet road or car park or industrial estate as said by others.

pure muppetry going out asking for trouble when the most basic of basic skills of actually moving a car is not there.

Always funny to hear drivers being concerned about the pollution coming from others, but regardless, none of this is an excuse for beeping. It doesn't help, and will almost certainly lead to further delays by flustering the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

hahaha, that photo* make the car I was in look like the Flintstones car. Definitely Herbie only had brake and accelerator, which i remember being amazed at - I had to master the clutch on my own. But in reality I'd messed about enough in the old man's car to be able to operate a clutch. The three of us started doing things like taking our foot off the accelerator to see if he was pressing it...

I often wondered if Herbie made and fitted the controls himself, it was just two bars bracketed to the floor - there was no transmission tunnel. Still at £1 an hour I wasn't complaining.

Does anyone else remember him, I think he was from Portmarnock? 1971.

edit: *of the dual controls

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm on the road on a daily basis and have been driving in general for thirty plus years, a mix of urban, suburban and rural on different roads, though I generally try to avoid the city centre tbh. Well it was OK during lockdown. And I honestly can't recall the last time I was beeped by another driver. Hell, I can't recall the last time I beeped the horn myself(missus!). For all I know it's stopped working again. Actually now that I think of it... around this time last year. Stopped at the lights on a slight incline, driver in front started to roll backwards and seemed oblivious. So horn blast. Twice, because they didn't cop the first time. Luckily I tend to keep a decent gap between me and the car in front at lights.

Otherwise nope. No beeps, most certainly not on a weekly basis. That's crazy. I doubt I'd be alone in this either. And again I generally take my time and don't speed. I'm that guy on motorways doing 90kph in the inside lane. Take it handy on B roads too, unless the road is empty and I have a clear line of sight and know the road in question. Still no beeping or tailgating.

It's still twattish behaviour and given your description of the driver you felt emboldened enough to push your luck. I'd bet you'd be a lot meeker in the presence of someone who would be on more equal physical terms.

Thankfully I've only been in two fist fights as an adult and the last time was when a cyclist came flying down the wrong way on a one way street and ran into the front of my car(I was barely moving as I'd just come out of a side road). Bit of a shock and an initial and natural concern that they were hurt. I got out of the car to make sure he was alright. This propeller head then got aggressive with me oblivious of his own wrong doing and kicked the front of my car and then went to go for me. After his cough was softened I drove off and actually took care to not run over his bike, because I'm not a twat. Now as it happens I give cyclists a wide berth and am very aware of their vulnerability on our roads so the chances of me cutting one off would be slim, but if anyone kicked my mirror off I wouldn't hesitate in pointing out the error of their ways in no uncertain terms and if they pushed it I'd have no hesitation in responding in kind. I'm not aggressive by nature at all, but...

Ok. Good for you buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

glasso wrote: »

If lessons are being conducted by an instructor they take you out on the main roads from the very first lesson. Regardless if you have ever driven a car or not before.
    My sisters first lesson and first time in the drivers seat of a car was in merchants road in galway city. Straight off into eyre square no excuses.

Always funny to hear drivers being concerned about the pollution coming from others, but regardless, none of this is an excuse for beeping. It doesn't help, and will almost certainly lead to further delays by flustering the driver.

polluting the road in the sense of polluting the roads by their presence if they can't even move off a car over multiple attempts - at least get to that level
    sammyjo90 wrote: »
    If lessons are being conducted by an instructor they take you out on the main roads from the very first lesson. Regardless if you have ever driven a car or not before.
    My sisters first lesson and first time in the drivers seat of a car was in merchants road in galway city. Straight off into eyre square no excuses.

I meant private accompanied learners here - not professional instructors giving lessons. the instructors usually have dual controls so can mitigate the 6 stall in a row at a busy intersection situations.

Advertisement