Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trivial things that make you happy - Part 3 - The Happyning

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The cat carried the kitten into my office and settled down with him at my feet. Beyond adorable!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I saw a mama duck with 11 brand new ducklings swimming along with her.
    Little balls of fluff they were.
    Soooo cute! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Littlest munchkin getting a negative covid test result :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

One more day until the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Two weeks food supplies safe in and stowed away. Cupboards and freezer blessedly full... and meds will be here today. The simplest of pleasures.... Huge bag of compost and seeds too so a very pleasing time ahead. Complete with the cats.

Life in a layby is a happy place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Walking past a construction site and a chap was on his own carrying stuff about the place

Singing away to himself at the top his voice not caring what anyone thought of him. And he is right

Yaaaay for random silliness

• Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭Archeron

I'm going to see the sea tomorrow for the first time in over a year. I don't care if its raining, I'm building a sand castle come hell or high water :o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

High water may be a problem...

Not having anything to be unhappy about is the best happy..

A rare blossom.....

But there if you seek it quietly.

Like a snowdrop behind a stone.

Just waiting quietly to be noticed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Playing fetch in the garden with the wee terrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Graces7 wrote: »
    Two weeks food supplies safe in and stowed away. Cupboards and freezer blessedly full... and meds will be here today. The simplest of pleasures.... Huge bag of compost and seeds too so a very pleasing time ahead. Complete with the cats.

Life in a layby is a happy place.

Graces when I read your posts I always want to just move to an island (with all my pets of course). I remember I lived in a little country studio for a while, it was an old cottage that had been renovated inside with a loft bed etc. Very small, but everything I needed. There was nothing I liked more than having all the food (and wine!) in, having the stove going with a basket of logs beside it and invariably the dog and several cats would all find places to snooze. Extra cosy when there was a gale bashing outside. There was only one door in and out, so it always felt safe somehow. I lived alone there for two years but it was one of the times I was at my happiest to be honest :)

Antares35 wrote: »
    Graces when I read your posts I always want to just move to an island (with all my pets of course). I remember I lived in a little country studio for a while, it was an old cottage that had been renovated inside with a loft bed etc. Very small, but everything I needed. There was nothing I liked more than having all the food (and wine!) in, having the stove going with a basket of logs beside it and invariably the dog and several cats would all find places to snooze. Extra cosy when there was a gale bashing outside. There was only one door in and out, so it always felt safe somehow. I lived alone there for two years but it was one of the times I was at my happiest to be honest :)

Thank you for this. And yes to all of it. I tried island life way back in Orkney but there were too many people etc and it was not... right. It gets just like mainland life!

Much older now and five years on I have my niche out here. And as a pensioner and with all the welfare help etc? No worries as there would have been a couple of generations ago... Abed just now listening to heavy rain with one of the cats on my shoulder and I am at peace.

So blessed I am! Just blessed. Sure there is illness etc but that is fine too. Love it out here! I made it home! YAY!

Starting a three day weekend. Also, when I was driving home from work earlier Seal - Kissed by a Rose came on the radio. What a song!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

This thread is lovely

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Live Snooker on television every day for the next 17 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Another thread here reminded me of this.
    One positive out of covid for me is all the bakery stuff in the supermarkets now is wrapped in plastic/paper so at least you know it's not being pawed by everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Another thread here reminded me of this.
    One positive out of covid for me is all the bakery stuff in the supermarkets now is wrapped in plastic/paper so at least you know it's not being pawed by everybody.
    Or a toilet for flies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Huge contradiction as I just whined and moaned about doing this very thing over on the trivially annoyed thread.

But I was moaning about how my phone has now started showing signs of obsolescence (in the eyes of phone companies anyway) and that I hate being forced to buy a new phone.

But, nevertheless, my sister showed me a phone that does everything most of the new phones do but at a fraction of the price, and looking at the specs and technical details - it suits me down to the ground. She loaned me money to buy it and I'll pay her back when my next wage comes in.

Long story short, I upgraded myself to a brand new phone - something I haven't done in about 8 years. (The last phone I legitimately bought brand new in its box was a Sony Xperia. Every other phone I had since were either hand-me-downs or bought used)

Five of the six sunflower seeds I planted in 2 big pots in the kitchen have germinated.

Last year the single sunflower I succeeded in growing, and I started much later than this, was hailed as a sheer wonder! ( No one else gardens at this end of the island and it was a mass of brambles and nettles when I came) See photo..

So this year I have chosen a variety called KONG!

It grows up to 14 feet tall and is multi branched! Some amazing photos online!

Where I grow them is visible from the lane to the pier! I am planning to enjoy this summer!

Happy thoughts!

Long story short, I upgraded myself to a brand new phone - something I haven't done in about 8 years. (The last phone I legitimately bought brand new in its box was a Sony Xperia. Every other phone I had since were either hand-me-downs or bought used)

And you're not telling us what phone it is?!? Bad form, Gamer Bhoy. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Getting to a garden centre outside of my 5k (whoop :) ) and spending waaaaaay too much money on plants for the garden. But happy as larry driving back with them in the boot of the car. They are lined up in the hall waiting to be planted tomorrow. Garden looks very forlorn this last while so can’t wait for the makeover!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I was at the wake of a relative earlier. The brother and sister-in-law of the deceased, both in their eighties, just sitting holding hands. It was moving to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Did something slightly risky for the first time today: a "fret job" on one of my guitars. Some were sticking up, and I ended up filing most of them down to make them more even. Lots of potential for it to go wrong, since it's easy to file off too much metal and leave yourself with a low fret. It came out OK, thankfully: not a professional job, not perfect, but much better than before.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I'm incredibly good looking

giphy.gif

My first marigold ( calendula to be formal) is opening; one of last year' s plants.

Such a lovely glowing smile on a dark day ….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

New Home wrote: »
    And you're not telling us what phone it is?!? Bad form, Gamer Bhoy. :D

I originally didn't want to because I know well there'd be people telling me "ah that phone is shíte" or some negative jargon to try put me off it. There is always one.

In any case, it's a Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite. I had a Samsung Galaxy S6 for about 3 and half years (thought it was less than that but I found photos taken with it from 2017 so I had it a good while longer than I thought). Still getting used to the larger screen and whatnot but I love how responsive it is. And it's Android v11 so it'll do me a long time now, hopefully.

Fresh TH since last weekend. Got all my Guitar Hero guitars and games out of my mother's attic and it's all I've been playing the last few days. These games were so fun back in the day - shame they're nowhere near as popular nowadays.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

A takeaway coffee, a bunch of tulips and a scented candle (or two) :D well they were buy one, get a second half price. Couldn't resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

At 9pm last night we opened a window and sat listening to two blackbirds singing to each other . The male called in a beautiful voice and the female answered in her quieter way . Its was mesmerising and beautiful to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Goodigal

Similar to you Hilda, a bunch of tulips for myself when I went to Tesco for bread this morning! Love them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I randomly got an old song in my head the other day,
    - Spaceman by Babylon Zoo -
    and remembered having the album on cassette! I had a stereo that when it got to the end of side A, would automatically play side B - seemed like witchcraft at the time! :D

Advertisement