Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting a taxi in eyre square after a night out?

• 03-05-2015 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

I've never actually done this (I've never gotten a taxi alone full stop, I normally just walk everywhere as where I live at the moment is very close to eyre square and shop street - I should add I don't walk anywhere alone at night) and I normally stay with a friend after a night out. However, just in case I ever do get one at night alone..

Are the taxi drivers in Eyre Square (I know that's where they queue) generally reliable? How much does it cost? I live in the salthill area.

I have a question about booking cabs in advance and I've read that this is more advisable. I've heard good reviews about Cara Cabs. Is it correct that you can ring them up at any time and they will send one of the drivers to collect you wherever you are?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Is it correct that you can ring them up at any time and they will send one of the drivers to collect you wherever you are?

Yes, this is pretty much the definition of how taxis work.

If you summon them thru Hailo, or thru the Galway Taxis app if you want to "keep it local" (yech!), then you don't pay a call-out fee.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of assaults on women happen in the own homes, carried out by people who know them. I'm not suggesting that you go out of your way to make yourself a target - but don't be scared of being alone, either. In fact, being scared makes you more of a target than if you're just confident and non-aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

There's a procabs office on eyre square next to charcoal grill. They're usually a bit cheaper than a rank taxi. You can call them to pick you up too without a callout charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Why would you go to eyre square to get a taxi why not use the rank at bridge street or any of the apps you could just flag one down as well. From the bottom of quay street to salthill your looking @ about €8

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

where I live at the moment is very close to eyre square

I live in the salthill area.

You might want to figure out where you live before ordering a taxi... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Put Hailo on your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

You might want to figure out where you live before ordering a taxi... :pac:

only about 5 minute walk though? it's lower salthill :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

You must have really long legs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I thought Olive Loughnane lived in Cork?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I live in lwr salthill an i walk fast enough it's a 15-20 min walk more 15. But a taxi from the square is about 6-9 euro depending on route taken and lights hit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

h2005 wrote: »
    You must have really long legs.

oh god that was meant to be 15 :blush::blush: haha the opposite :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

oh god that was meant to be 15 :blush::blush: haha the opposite :p

You have 15 legs?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Get a Procabs if you are Eyre Sq end. Claddagh Cabs if the other side of town (but sure you're nearly home then!) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Hard to believe the poor misfortunes of yesteryear had to tackle daunting tasks such as getting a taxi, without the assistance of the internet. OP I hope everything goes smoothly for you during this arduous time.

Advertisement