Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catering van in need of a spot to trade

• 29-04-2015 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I have a food van and am looking for a spot to trade sat- Tuesday, it could be a bar or any premises with a decent footfall in the Galway and nearby areas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 grey_area

When I was in the US, a food truck used to come to our business estate and serve the hundreds of workers in the various offices there. I always thought it would work well in the Business Parks where all the medical device factories are located in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 betzy2011

yes so did I, but most of them have canteens and its difficult to get in contact with the right people. a lot of them said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

betzy2011 wrote: »
    yes so did I, but most of them have canteens and its difficult to get in contact with the right people. a lot of them said no.
    What kinda food do you serve?
    If it's fast food then that day is well and truly gone when people will have burgers for lunch. Have you noticed the rise in fitness/healthy eating?
    If you're selling fast food then you will be lucky to sell a meal to the same person twice in one week.
    If it's in lower class estates, you'll be selling more. If your selling proper, healthy cooked dinners then you could be on to something

im selling modern irish food like BOXTYS, chOWder, loaded FRIES. im at a couple of markets and do a lunch shift at zenimax but need something to fill the rest of the week and keep me going during the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Forget the big employers - as you say they have canteens. Though you might be surprised and find that some of their workers come out once a week to get something different.

Look for estates where there are groups of smaller companies and few other options. Down the bottom of Parkmore West springs to mind. So does Ballybane Industrial - there are some cafes there, but it's pretty basic. Maybe the Monivea Rd side of Mervue industrial estate. Maybe Oranmore Business Park (I'm not sure what the competition is like there.)

There's a list of all the industrial estates here, in case it's any help.

• Advertisement

yep ive looked into all of them, you need permission from land owners to trade. its not that simple im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

Go out to the green brier pub and set up doing breakfasts for the construction workers on the m18 project. If I had your business I'd be there.

yep ive looked into all of them, you need permission from land owners to trade. its not that simple im afraid.

Chance your arm until you are ran anyway sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Park up by Galway Technology Park with some tasty healthy options and you'll be in business. Table Talk have the market cornered for those that don't want to spend half their lunch in traffic. Lots of small/medium businesses with no (food serving) canteens.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭puddles59

There are also a good number of workers in the IDA in Dangan ....might be worth a try

• Advertisement

yeah the IDA said no to any site they have anywhere!!

id need to know who owns the park there in order to get permission to trade.i had thought about it. I'm on the hunt now to find out, spar and table talk wont be happy but hey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Sometimes it's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

dilallio wrote: »
    Sometimes it's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Indeed. Ask Rome, and Rome will answer...

hmmm I mite chance my arm and see what happens. tired of playing by the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

One thing I learned in life is those who succeed rarely followed the rules. Don't let the man keep you down!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

I have a food van and am looking for a spot to trade sat- Tuesday, it could be a bar or any premises with a decent footfall in the Galway and nearby areas.

Oldenbus industrial estate is full of small businesses with limited facilities.

oldenway you mean, I'm looking into it thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Falf

I used to see a chip van at cuniffs in clonboo but not anymore, you could ask owners could you pitch there, I'd imagine it wold be good spot... Pat mc donnagh of supermac's has ruined it for small traders like your slef with chip vans, you always see supermac's at every festival or even small dog shows, he a greedy man in my opinion in not giving the small man a chance....

• Advertisement

Falf wrote: »
    I used to see a chip van at cuniffs in clonboo but not anymore, you could ask owners could you pitch there, I'd imagine it wold be good spot... Pat mc donnagh of supermac's has ruined it for small traders like your slef with chip vans, you always see supermac's at every festival or even small dog shows, he a greedy man in my opinion in not giving the small man a chance....

Totally.i dispise him.he is half the reason the council wont let anyone trade In Eyre square. I'll look into clonboo cheers ðŸ»

Advertisement