Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Climate Politics / denial

Options
  • 16-10-2019 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, this is a bit tangential, so maybe mod might remove, but Naomi Klein just on with Adam Boulton was utterly riveting interview. She just destroyed him on climate change, Boulton strikes me as a bit of a climate sceptic and clearly despises Extinction Rebellion, but Klein was just too smart and knowledgable for him. A must see interview.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Sorry, this is a bit tangential, so maybe mod might remove, but Naomi Klein just on with Adam Boulton was utterly riveting interview. She just destroyed him on climate change, Boulton strikes me as a bit of a climate sceptic and clearly despises Extinction Rebellion, but Klein was just too smart and knowledgable for him. A must see interview.

For anyone interested here is a youtube link to the live Sky News stream. At the moment you need to go back about 15 minutes, seems the interview started around 9h40am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg_YUu2JzEA

Edit:

I understand the interviewer needs to question the point of view of the person being interviewed, but Boulton just seemed to be more invested in questioning her and her view. I am not a big viewer of Boulton so not sure if he is usually so dire mumbling but it didn't look like a good style from his side.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Moved from the other thread. There is another thread about the reaction to Greta Thunberg and media reaction tk her, so perhaps a new thread is more suitable for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Mod note:

Moved from the other thread. There is another thread about the reaction to Greta Thunberg and media reaction tk her, so perhaps a new thread is more suitable for this.

Thanks. I knew it didnt really belong in other thread, so shouldnt have posted it there.

As for Adam Boulton, I would be a fairly regular viewer. He got very snippy with Polly Toynbee earlier too and declared himself very sniffily to be an "impartial reporter". But to my mind, he comes across quite regularly as being quite far to the right on all issues from brexit to the climate. I seem to remember he was being touted as a replacement for Alastair Campbell under the blair regime, so whatever that suggests, i'm not sure. His quite, mumbling style, as you put it, can occasionally work well, but just think the mask slips all too often and he gets too heated in his questioning. Klein was clearly a bit taken aback by the aggressiveness of his approach - seemed to suggest the protests were some kind of marxist conspiracy at one point - but was far too clever to be rattled and handled him with some aplomb i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

His facile arguments that they are making things worse by inconveniencing people making their commute is just so reductive and pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Its fine him asking the question about people being disrupted going to and from work, its the vehemence with which he pursues this line which disturbs me. It was there in the Klein interview and with Polly Toynbee earlier and i've heard him close to losing his rag about it several times over the past few weeks/months. It's as if he takes it personally in some way. Reminds me a bit of Pat Kenny a few years back when his usual professionalism sometimes went out the window on the climate issue and he'd start getting lippy with the likes of John Gibbons and other climate change campaigners. Not sure where Kenny stands on it these days, though, as dont tune in to newstalk very often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,016 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Boulton always struck me as someone who only looks intelligent beside her works for sky.

Whatever you think about Extinction Rebellion, climate change deniers are somewhere between creationists and flat-Earthers in terms of logical debate.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement