Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the chances of a coup in Britain?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭joe40

its happening before your eyes, a democratic vote result is being ignored, a unelected panel of judges has now decided that the politicians are not in charge , that is now the unelected judges role.

Politicians including PM are subject to the law like everyone else. The supreme court has asserted the law.
    A government not subject to law is called a dictatorship.
    The supreme court decision was a victory for democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

its happening before your eyes, a democratic vote result is being ignored, a unelected panel of judges has now decided that the politicians are not in charge , that is now the unelected judges role.

Aren't British judges for British problems part of what Brexit is all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

The British Army are loyal to the Queen but take orders from parliament, its drummed into the officers that go through Sandhurst military academy. The Army are also very conservative, all the big pay rises are from Tory governments. After each labor government the army got in the region of a 14% raise. A lot of the senior military commanders are Oxford/Cambridge educated.

Only chance of a coup in the UK is if labor are in government or the greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Why do people keep starting these dumb threads. It's not some african dump there isn't going to be a coup.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

MadYaker wrote: »
    It's not some african dump...

I think that's why - exactly because it isn't a likely candidate country for a coup - that makes it an interesting topic for discussion.
    And given the chaos that's reigning down upon them at the moment because of Brexit, if there isn't going to be coup, it's interesting for those of us less informed to hear why there won't be one.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭sandbelter

Peregrinus wrote: »
    You're assuming that a coup has to be led by the Queen?

It would be inconceivable to the officer class for them to act without royal consent, not only are the Sandhurst trained but have served with, or know of the service in the armed forces of Princes Harry, William and Charles. They are royalists to the marrow.

It's as unlikely as a coup in Ireland and the chances of both are zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

One very slim possibility is a “minor” coup is for the Scottish Command (military) to take over Scotland to break away from Brexit and support Scottish Independence. In my days in the British Army only the Scottish servicemen and their regiments paid what I would consider “lip service” to the queen. They were often quite vocal after a few beers about their history.

All they would need is the support of one nuclear capable submarine and they would have a good foundation for success.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

MadYaker wrote: »
    Why do people keep starting these dumb threads. It's not some african dump there isn't going to be a coup.
    The reason that there are "African dumps " is because they were plundered and pillaged by the likes of Britain and other colonial powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Vote was not ignored even though the winning side cheated its just petulant whingers saying so because parliment has not been presented with a deal that is palatable or one that doesnt screw so many people over.

As for unelected judges they were highligted to be appointed by the government's before and under May even. This *unelected* reasoning is just looking for an excuse to hate for the sake of it. The simple truth is those saying this are only saying so because they refuse to accept the truth that theyre wrong, that theyre in the wrong and they have no facts to back up their arguments so they cry because they're too deluded to accept reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

nil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭20silkcut

The reason that there are "African dumps " is because they were plundered and pillaged by the likes of Britain and other colonial powers.

More to do with being an isolated continent south of the massive physical barrier of the Sahara desert and dense impenetrable tropical jungles with strange diseases and insects and malaria.
    British and European colonialism was a very recent short lived phenomenon.
    Africa was a dump for many hundreds of years and will continue to be. Long after colonialism is a far distant memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Xander Shaggy Starfish

Unlikely to see a coup in 'Britain', but somewhat likely to see the actual end of the 'UK'.
    Scot indie is more than likely (1.83 odds), if(when) a vote is presented for it.
    NI will likely follow given the context, even Wales may decide they can go their own way.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the big business interests in Britain are not going to stand idly by while Boris/Dominic Cummings drive them over a cliff. While it may not be called a coup it will have the same end result and restore some order and sense into British politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the big business interests in Britain are not going to stand idly by while Boris/Dominic Cummings drive them over a cliff. While it may not be called a coup it will have the same end result and restore some order and sense into British politics.

You do realise that many big business interests are in the "leave" camp?

From what I can see it's quite the opposite. Pretty much every business organisation has come out against Brexit!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What Dan says. There are some businesses or business owners who are prominent in support of Leaving, but they are definitely a minority. And the general and sectoral representative trade and industry bodies are mostly sceptical of Leave, and nearly all warn against a no-deal Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

I personally have no plans for a coup in Britain. That narrows it down slightly.

Hobosan wrote: »
    I personally have no plans for a coup in Britain. That narrows it down slightly.
    Ah, but anyone who did have plans for a coup in Britain would certainly say that they did not. So you saying that doesn't really narrow it down at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What exactly could they do though?

Other than upping and leaving.

NIMAN wrote: »
    What exactly could they do though?

Other than upping and leaving.
    They can encourage moderate elements in the Tory party to assert themselves and rein in Johnson by pointing out the likely consequences for the Tory party's main source of funding - namely, donations from businesses - if this is not done.

• Advertisement

Reece-Mogg and Boris will be retired on fat pensions when the grand kids on the dole queue are saying "tell us again about the time we told the EU to f**k off"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

What are the chances of a coup in Britain?

Extremely low. Lower than the chances of one happening in Ireland in the post crash period anyways.

I thought Melanie Phillips of the Times summed up the unrest and bitterness and division that is now in Britain very well on Ouestion time last night. And of course the playwright Bonnie Greer was excellent as usual particularly when she pointed out that Ireland owes Britain nothing and that the USA -despite Trump-will always side in favour of Ireland .

I thought Melanie Phillips of the Times summed up the unrest and bitterness and division that is now in Britain very well on Ouestion time last night. And of course the playwright Bonnie Greer was excellent as usual particularly when she pointed out that Ireland owes Britain nothing and that the USA -despite Trump-will always side in favour of Ireland .

What have the Romans British ever done for us - apart from stopping the country being invaded by the Nazis and providing employment opportunities for generations of Irish people etc.,etc....of course Ireland owes Britain nothing.

Never heard of Bonnie Greer before but I don't think that I've missed much.

Del.Monte wrote: »

What have the Romans British ever done for us - apart from stopping the country being invaded by the Nazis and providing employment opportunities for generations of Irish people etc.,etc....of course Ireland owes Britain nothing.

Never heard of Bonnie Greer before but I don't think that I've missed much.
    Employment opportunities! Most of those "opportunities " involved Irish men and women being worked to the bone and treated little better than serfs. As for WW2 you seem to be unaware that it was the Allied Forces that defeated Germany not Britain. Your sounding like one of those rule Brittainia football supporters!

Employment opportunities! Most of those "opportunities " involved Irish men and women being worked to the bone and treated little better than serfs. As for WW2 you seem to be unaware that it was the Allied Forces that defeated Germany not Britain. Your sounding like one of those rule Brittainia football supporters!

You seem to be unaware that it was Britain who stood alone against Germany until the US belatedly entered the war in December 1941. You sound like somebody who needs to do some research.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Del.Monte wrote: »
    You sound like somebody who needs to do some research.

Be civil please. And, back on topic please. WW2 is not the topic.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement