Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arms and the man

• 11-06-2019 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct forum but I can't see anywhere else more appropriate.

I was having a late breakfast this morning in a quiet south Dublin restaurant based in a large shopping precinct. In walked two men each carrying what looked like an automatic pistol in a holster on his right hip. They were shown to a table by the friendly waitress and their food arrived shortly afterwards. They were dressed casually in tee-shirts and jeans. Their clothes had no obvious markings to indicate if they were members of the defence forces, gardai, or a private security firm.

Maybe this will turn up on some new version of Candid Camera. Otherwise I'm stumped.

Anyone know what might have been going on. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

I think they were getting breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

source wrote: »
    And 'they' are?

And 'they' are?

Not a clue, and no way of knowing based on your description, but I would hazard a guess that they are plain clothes Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

Not a clue, and no way of knowing based on your description, but I would hazard a guess that they are plain clothes Gardai.
    Thanks. You may be right - I know little about these things.
    I've seen armed police in the UK and they were dressed very differently to these guys who did not have any body armour or stab vests.
    I'm still not convinced it was not some sort of stunt. They looked like they had stepped out of a Liam Neeson movie.

Detectives in Ireland are armed and do not wear the standard uniform.

They were most likely a pair of detectives I would say.

• Advertisement

op says they were having a late breakfast

if the two biys landed in after that it could have been an early lunch

just playing devils advocate

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

op says they were having a late breakfast

if the two biys landed in after that it could have been an early lunch

just playing devils advocate

Brunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mr cowen

Not sure if this is the correct forum but I can't see anywhere else more appropriate.

I was having a late breakfast this morning in a quiet south Dublin restaurant based in a large shopping precinct. In walked two men each carrying what looked like an automatic pistol in a holster on his right hip. They were shown to a table by the friendly waitress and their food arrived shortly afterwards. They were dressed casually in tee-shirts and jeans. Their clothes had no obvious markings to indicate if they were members of the defence forces, gardai, or a private security firm.

Maybe this will turn up on some new version of Candid Camera. Otherwise I'm stumped.

Anyone know what might have been going on. :confused:

private security firm...I'd say......:rolleyes:, they do that al the time and all over the place.:cool:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Armed detectives. No security firm in the ROI can carry firearms. It is unusual to see. If it was a stunt/prank its a serious offense to carry a replica firearm in public in a manner that might alarm people.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mr cowen

Heckler wrote: »
    Armed detectives. No security firm in the ROI can carry firearms. It is unusual to see. If it was a stunt/prank its a serious offense to carry a replica firearm in public in a manner that might alarm people.

REALLY!!!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I remember saying to a couple of plain clothes lads a few years ago that it was nice to see arms on display. It might act as a deterrant if there was a visable display. I was told that generally they had to cover it up as directed by senior managment.

I remember saying to a couple of plain clothes lads a few years ago that it was nice to see arms on display. It might act as a deterrant if there was a visable display. I was told that generally they had to cover it up as directed by senior managment.

True, its the reason for the baton holster and cuff carriers issued. Not supposed to have weapons on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

True, its the reason for the baton holster and cuff carriers issued. Not supposed to have weapons on display.

That is a pity. Now I am not saying that every plod should be swinging a gun all over the place but I do believe that if there was a more visual presence on the streets smaller levels of crime might be reduced.

Advertisement