Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Card verification risks due to sloppy system design by Irish banks

Options
  • 03-04-2017 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

The way Irish banks have implemented verified by Visa and 3D secure is defective and no more than an attempt to do a liability shift to the cardholder for online fraud.

Eg A ‘hacker’ could set up a website offering new iPhone 7+s for EUR 199, and when it comes to completing the transaction, divert the victim to a ‘verified by Visa’ page of his own making – ie not the bank’s website. During the process s/he would have collected the card number, expiry date, CVV code, cardholder name, billing address and static verified by Visa code. It is an easy matter to copy a logo of a card issuing bank and use it on your own website.

The ‘activation while shopping’ process is a further weakness, because it allows the merchant to ask all sorts of questions (which the victim will think are coming from the bank) eg DoB, mother’s maiden name, etc. Allowing them to build up a marketable database of identities to sell on the darknet for XBT (Bitcoins).

A better way of doing it would be when a cardholder makes an online purchase, and when they are taken to the ‘Verified by Visa’ page, to send them a text message on their mobile phone with a say 6 digit code number which is valid for 1 minute. The user then enters this second factor code taken from the text message into the web verification page presented to them. This code would be locked down to the merchant ID and transaction amounts – to prevent a keystroke logger from taking and fraudulently using it for another transaction with some other merchant within the 60 secs validity period.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

AIB seem to be just letting all my transactions through now without any verification.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

AIB seem to be just letting all my transactions through now without any verification.

I've noticed too with Ulster Bank. Stopped being asked around November

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

OU812 wrote: »

I've noticed too with Ulster Bank.  Stopped being asked around November
    For every site? Not all sites actually sign up to use the verify facility.
    Impetus wrote: »

A better way of doing it would be when a cardholder makes an online purchase, and when they are taken to the ‘Verified by  Visa’ page, to send them a text message on their mobile phone with a say 6 digit code number which is valid for 1 minute.    The user then enters this second factor code taken from the text message into the web verification page presented to them.    This code would be locked down to the merchant ID and transaction amounts – to prevent a keystroke logger from taking and fraudulently using it for another transaction with some other merchant within the 60 secs validity period.
    That's a really good idea.

The verification starts as you get a message saying it's connecting to your bank much like the usual verified by Visa stuff, then you're just approved without entering anything.

It's like the verified by Visa is just setup to pass you through without checking anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Another weakness is the fact you can just enter the DOB and credit limit to get around it and make another password. Now it's not easy info to get but if you remember that everybody's forgetting there password because it's use is so patchy they are typing in that info every time so it's more information to be compromised by keyloggers, fake sites etc. It's an awful system, SMS verification would be far far better. The biggest problem is the fact they wash there hands of liability if you use it, as if it can prevent fraud.

• Advertisement

yup. Every site, even ones I used to get asked for it on.

yup. Every site, even ones I used to get asked for it on.

It's like it's just been turned off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

testicles wrote: »

True but there are multiple ways of implementing it, like pushing a verification message to your mobile banking app or as an SMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Old article on Krebs site about it. Scary that it hasn't changed since...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

AIB at least supposedly replaced the old Verified by Visa functionality (for debit cards only at the moment) a good while ago by a system that sends you a text message with a code. It's apparently not done for every transaction (why not?), but just "occasionally" although I've yet to see one on a site/app I use regularly (justeat) that uses it. Until then it always asked me for 3 random letters from my password. Whether it just doesn't work, or if their definition of "occasionally" is a bit broader than mine. I don't know.

I've never received a text

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Should all be linked with your fingerprint within 10 years, Android and Apple pay have already started it and Macs now have touch ID on the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Should all be linked with your fingerprint within 10 years, Android and Apple pay have already started it and Macs now have touch ID on the laptop.

What do you do then when your finger print is hacked?

You can have infinite passwords, you have finite fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

hurikane wrote: »
    You can have infinite passwords, you have finite fingers.

If you have some evidence of hacking fingerprints on a phone then I'd be interested to hear. Though I do foresee a future where being mugged means they take your phone and force you to unlock it with a knife pointed at your throat.

As for verification, I think the likes of KBC using 2FV in sending a transaction code to your phone is much better, is fairly secure for now.

I have though complained to KBC that it would be in their interests to send app notifications to your phone when transactions occur to reduce fraud. Instead you might, as has happened to me, just randomly decide to have a look only to find fraudulent transactions.

Having said that, I've worked in IT in a financial institution where I suggested implemented such measures only to be told no, it's not a 'project' priority.

Alun wrote: »
    AIB at least supposedly replaced the old Verified by Visa functionality (for debit cards only at the moment) a good while ago by a system that sends you a text message with a code. It's apparently not done for every transaction (why not?), but just "occasionally" although I've yet to see one on a site/app I use regularly (justeat) that uses it. Until then it always asked me for 3 random letters from my password. Whether it just doesn't work, or if their definition of "occasionally" is a bit broader than mine. I don't know.

Literally just got this for the first time five minutes ago while paying a bill by debit card

A client of mine asked me to research whether it was a good idea to replace normal passwords with fingerprint scanners on their new laptops. I did a demonstration where I lifted the prints from the CSO's laptop and used them to unlock his laptop. Biometrics is a fun, even sexy topic but the reality is you leave your fingerprints everywhere you go. Most people don't leave their password everywhere they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

A client of mine asked me to research whether it was a good idea to replace normal passwords with fingerprint scanners on their new laptops. I did a demonstration where I lifted the prints from the CSO's laptop and used them to unlock his laptop. Biometrics is a fun, even sexy topic but the reality is you leave your fingerprints everywhere you go. Most people don't leave their password everywhere they go.

But it would be two factor authentication and the fact that it is decentralized makes fraud more difficult. I don't disagree with your point but in the long term it definitely has its place in a good verification system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

verified by Visa has some bespoke text written by the customer right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

That reminds me of this:

I'm sure things have improved since then (it was 11 years ago)! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

But it would be two factor authentication and the fact that it is decentralized makes fraud more difficult. I don't disagree with your point but in the long term it definitely has its place in a good verification system.

Well what good is two factor auth if you leave one of the factors everywhere you go?

Theres much better technology coming than fingerprint scanners. Theres lots of other things which are unique to you which are harder to spoof. A former employer of mine was working on guns which only their registered owner could fire. It didn't work on the palm print, instead it created a signature for how each person holds the gun. Turns out two different people, even of similar size and strength hold it differently. Theres similar research in typing patterns. Instead of remembering 200 passwords, to login wouldn't it be great if you just typed in some random text and the authentication system identified you by your typing habits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

My understanding is that you get a text when the transaction is highlighted as suspicious or, in some way, worthy of attention and confirmation.

I got one of these a few days ago and it was, indeed, a fraudulent transaction. Having responding negatively I got a call a short time later from the bank and they went through a number of transactions with me, most of which were fraudulent. The card was cancelled and a new one arrived 48 hours later and all fraudulent transactions were reversed. So I have to say - Kudos to AIB/Visa for their prompt detection and action.

Still on-topic because it relates to sloppy design. This is how I believe my card details got snaffled and how I dealt with it.

I was abroad for a weekend break very recently and I did use my credit card a few times although I don't believe I ever let it leave my sight. Nor did I use it in an ATM.

I understand, from a recent conversation I had, that card details (card number and expiry date) can be retrieved from a card terminal that processes your purchase. The only other item that's needed to carry out Cardholder-Not-Present transactions is the CVV (3-digit code) on the back of the card.

It's a very simple thing for a dodgy waiter (for example) to casually hand you back your card face-down so that he can see the CVV while handing it back to you. Now he has everything he needs to go shopping or to sell the card details on.

The lesson is now learned. My new card, and my other debit cards, now sport a little piece of paper with some scotch tape which covers the CVV on the back of the card. I didn't want to go the whole hog and actually permanently remove or obscure the number so this is a good compromise.

It doesn't interfere with any processing but no-one can now read the CVV.

The sloppy design element is that knowledge of the CVV is supposed to indicate that you are in possession of the card. However, if the CVV can be taken during a normal transaction then that kind-of defeats the "in possession of" element of the design.

"Sloppy" might be a little harsh. Although, if the card issuer could come up with a design where the CVV was not so visible then this would harden the process somewhat.

Literally just got this for the first time five minutes ago while paying a bill by debit card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

testicles wrote: »

I was not criticizing Verified by * (I am not that dumb or insular, and don't live in IRL) - I was criticizing the way Irish banks have implemented it. a) It is a basis for second factor authentication via the mobile phone and b) Irish banks generally have no way to go to the bank site to register your V by V code. Instead they delegate it to retailers or American or British companies who can't display an AIB or BoI security certificate. You therefore don't know who you are talking to during the V by V set-up process when you are identifying yourself and setting up the verification code.

The verification code should only be done directly on your card issuers site showing their security cert to you on your browser. And ideally the code should be random eg via mobile phone. If you regularly buy say on Amazon, and do not change delivery address, this verification process does not have to happen every time - just when it is initiated or changes occur to your address or delivery instructions.

The verification starts as you get a message saying it's connecting to your bank much like the usual verified by Visa stuff, then you're just approved without entering anything.

It's like the verified by Visa is just setup to pass you through without checking anything.

I have an AmEx platinum and it does the same thing - sort of goes through a verification process, then moves on and approves the transaction without entry of extra authentication codes. I suspect AmEx have far a far better software algo to analyze patterns of usage and detect fruad than your typical Visa or MC bank. AmEx limit your liability to EUR 50 in the event of fraud. And they answer within 1 second if you need to call them.

Unlike Visa or MasterCard, if you are in a hotel or other predicament and have a problem or your card has been stolen, you can speak to AmEx directly (not like with some bank using the Visa brand), and once you have answered ID questions, they will give the hotel authorization to charge your AmEx card - even if you don't have the card to showdue to theft etc. It also gives travel insurance, and points for expenditure which can be used for goodies or to pay the annual fee.

Large Irish retailers like Dunnes Stores and similar take Amex - but smaller ones don't and when you complain, they claim AmEx charge them more. Which is untrue, because these charges are limited by EU regulation and they charge the same as Visa and MC in most countries. When AmEx see you are a good payer (I have given them a SEPA DD on a bank account in another European country), they do not limit your spending. The chip on the AmEx card uses DDA (unlike Irish Visa and MasterCards) which is copying British low standards, use SDA. DDA chips randomly vary the card's electronic signature every time. DDA cards cost about 50c more to buy. Most banks in Europe use DDA for all cards.

AmEx have to work with dumb Americans many of whom one suspects couldn't remember a PIN, not to mention a verified by visa code. As a result they have had to adapt to the issue by making their transaction validation process extremely intelligent.

imitation wrote: »
    Another weakness is the fact you can just enter the DOB and credit limit to get around it and make another password. Now it's not easy info to get but if you remember that everybody's forgetting there password because it's use is so patchy they are typing in that info every time so it's more information to be compromised by keyloggers, fake sites etc. It's an awful system, SMS verification would be far far better. The biggest problem is the fact they wash there hands of liability if you use it, as if it can prevent fraud.
    I don't use verification by * codes which are not random codes sent by SMS by a bank - if a code is asked for I either cancel my order or use a different card which uses SMS Verification or AmEx which requires nothing, and limits my liability for fraud to EUR 50. The name "Verified by Visa" is a misnomer. The cardholder is never in direct contact with Visa or MasterCard. It is just a liability shifting potential fraud on cardholders that dumb governments have allowed to happen. In the case of Irish banks, it is "Verified by some Joe Bloggs website" which is the worst case scenario. There is no guarantee that the window you get on the 'joe bloggs.com' site is a secure link to your card issuer. Irish bank security is lacking (under statement).

Why not every time? There are a few reasons - if you are an established Amazon customer, and just order something for the usual address why bother? In my case, my Visa Debit card was getting grubby, and I went into the bank website on Thursday and ordered a new card. It arrived on Saturday (we, like 98% of the rest of Europe have post on Saturday), and I used the card to pay my mobile phone bill and fiber optic bill online on two different websites within five minutes. Their computer algo said to itself (my guess) we sent him a new card - did he really get it? Two charges in quick succession. My first charge did not require the SMS, only the second. So it was 'suspicion driven' in my view. There is no difference in risk between me and my mobile phone co and fiber optic service - I pay them with the card every month. Which highlights the repeat nature of the risk assessment for the second payment.

In this country at least it is cheap for companies to send large volumes of text messages. You just need contracts with all mobile phone networks and to send textos via the direct connections to each these networks. if I was in Ireland they might have to pay 3c or so to send the text message - which is far cheaper than eating a fraudulent card charge.

It is dumb in my view to use selected characters from a password. These could potentially be turned into the full password by a patient keystroke logger that monitored multiple transactions. Most British banks do not use multi-factor authentication calculators - except for corporate/big customers. Instead asking for the 3rd, 4th and 6th characters of some secret word. This involves the same patient keystroke logger risk.

With the big continental banks you can transfer any sum of money, or even say 20kg of gold (if you had it in your account) (eg to pay for a house) online with multi factor authentication, (which involves login authentication and transfer authentication separately - the second code being based on part of the IBAN of the recipient and the amount - both of which have to be entered into the multi-factor authenticator - which uses a smart card which you probably keep separately and securely). 1kg of gold is worth EUR 37'820 at the moment.Your bank account can also hold shares and investment funds (unlike Irish bank accounts). As well as foreign currencies - all in one account. The absence of this facility from Irish banks has been a big contributor of the property crash. In Ireland, the banks are focused on lending for property and little else.

Irish investment is limited to property and anglo-saxon/Irish shares - for the majority. Asia is growing rapidly. This is a huge financial risk for the country by focusing on a single asset type. We are in the Eurozone. There are zillions of funds and shares denominated in EUR involving world class companies - better than anything America or Asia has to offer for Irish people to invest in. The absence of them on a typical Irish online bank account menu is perhaps not an IT security risk, but is a massive savings / pension risk for the country. Online bank accounts should also provide lots of investment research guidance to their customers and allow them to view/download funds into a spreadsheet to assess performance. You can only offer these services with serious multi-factor authentication security. Reducing/eliminating the need for a time wasting call-back etc. Ireland's government seems to me to want to keep people as dumb as possible in the education system. The plot seems to be 'let's breed ejits'. The banking system needs to create a bullet proof customer relationship that educates customers on how to invest in a wide range of soundly engineered financial products - mainly theme and other funds. And to enable them to transfer money and other assets in specie to other IBANS of entities and people who customers want to do business with. Securely.

Well what good is two factor auth if you leave one of the factors everywhere you go?

Theres much better technology coming than fingerprint scanners. Theres lots of other things which are unique to you which are harder to spoof. A former employer of mine was working on guns which only their registered owner could fire. It didn't work on the palm print, instead it created a signature for how each person holds the gun. Turns out two different people, even of similar size and strength hold it differently. Theres similar research in typing patterns. Instead of remembering 200 passwords, to login wouldn't it be great if you just typed in some random text and the authentication system identified you by your typing habits

Most biometric stuff is crap in terms of 100% black and white validation. In terms of a bank account the best is probably the need for possession of a multi factor calculator and a card (kept separately) with a long PIN and a separate account login process to the authentication process required for a discharge/payment of assets to another party - ie the second process needs to vary depending on asset amount, asset type, part of the destination iban, as well as your PIN sign-off to be input to the MF calculator to create a code. The authentication process should be locked to the transaction (source, beneficiary, amount) in question to avoid replay attacks from a keystroke logger type situation. And of course the bank system should be designed to detect the flag potential replay attacks.

Advertisement