Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lizard?

• 01-03-2016 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Just found this guy in the kitchen. Size is reflected on a standard terracotta tile.
    Any idea what it might be or how common.

Thanks.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yea that's a common or viviparous lizard, relatively common across the country but not often you see them. I've only ever spotted them a couple of times basking on rocks in the summer during good weather. Our only native repltile if I'm not mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Mickeroo wrote: »
    ... Our only native repltile if I'm not mistaken?

I think we have slow worms as well, and they're reptiles.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think we have slow worms as well, and they're reptiles.

Pretty sure they ain't native though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Pretty sure they ain't native though?

You appear to be correct: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_reptiles_of_Ireland

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

...are we sure that's a Lizard and not a Newt?

• Advertisement

...are we sure that's a Lizard and not a Newt?

Huh, you could be right actually. I thought it didn't look small or "shiny" enough if you get me but there's nothing there for scale bar the tiles.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

It doesn't look scale-y at all, and proportions look OK for Newt?

Kilnababe - did it have an obvious scale-y appearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Kilnababe

Thanks everyone. Yes it definitely did have a scaley appearance.

I'm still going with Newt tbh - I asked a friend and they agreed. Lizards, being cold blooded, are probably unlikely to end up in the house. Was this pic taken at night by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Kilnababe

Yes it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Yep newt for me

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Eric Marley

lizard of course. No doubt.

If you look at the picture at the below link you'll see the first picture of a common lizard picture, taken by Pat Somers in Wexford.

It is very obviously scaley, has very long fingers on its front hands, and has a distinct blank line on an otherwise green/yellow scaley back. The eyes even look lower-set than the OP's picture here.

I've also never heard of a lizard turning up outside very specific habitats, whereas I know that Newts go wandering a lot at night at this time of year.

http://www.rte.ie/news/galleries/2015/0529/704613-ireland-pictures/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

lizard of course. No doubt.

I would seriously doubt it. It's a newt. Look at the broadening of the tail and the splay of the legs for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Its a dried up newt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

Looks like the newts I see around my driveway at night. same shape, skin seems to be similar also but just a little darker than the ones I have

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

It's a dry smooth newt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Or a smooth dry newt.... in need of a drink.
    The smell of an open bottle of Jack Daniels will lure them into the house :pac:

Advertisement