Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof of no convictions in Ireland

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Is this just be unhelpful. How or why did that member help the OP if its such a big deal. Are you likely to get sacked or disciplined for going the extra mile to help someone.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

Yes.

A blanket answer of yes doesn't help im afraid when ive asked:

Is this just being unhelpful?

How or why did that member help the OP if its such a big deal?

Are you likely to get sacked or disciplined for going the extra mile to help someone?

A blanket answer of yes doesn't help im afraid when ive asked:

Is this just being unhelpful?

How or why did that member help the OP if its such a big deal?

Are you likely to get sacked or disciplined for going the extra mile to help someone?

Yes you can be sacked or disciplined for going the extra mile to help someone. This is the real world effect of eroding the power of discretion and proactively disciplining the most minor of code breaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Is this just be unhelpful. How or why did that member help the OP if its such a big deal. Are you likely to get sacked or disciplined for going the extra mile to help someone.

It's not being unhelpful, it's giving the facts. If someone else managed to get one through some other means, then fair play, but what I posted is the truth. Stations do not do Police Certificates for just anyone.

And we're likely to get sacked/disciplined even by posting anonymously on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'm in a similar position to the OP & have found the process thus far to be both frustrating & unnecessarily convoluted.

I'm self-employed, based in Ireland & will be undertaking work for a German firm who require a police certificate / proof of no criminal record to satisfy their own internal procedures. I initially applied in writing to my local Superintendent, but was contacted to say Police Certs are only issued for visa applications and suchlike. I was directed to the Garda vetting unit & explained to them what I required & was advised to submit form F20 (Request for personal Data under Section 4 Data Protection Act 1988 & 2003). I was told to specify on the form that I request a copy of personal data that may be in existence within AGS specifically in respect of any prior convictions.

Three weeks on, correspondence arrives from AGS vetting unit advising that "This search failed to reveal any personal data in relation to you and accoprdingly there is no attachment containing data as required under Section 4 of the Data protection Act 1988/2003".

This is unfortunately preceded by the following in bold:
    This document should not be construed as Proof of No Convictions, a Police certificate, a Garda Reference or Garda Vetting

I'm naturally reticent to forward that form on to the firm I'll be doing business with, though having spoken again with AGS vetting, they're telling me it's not possible to receive confirmation of no previous criminal convictions. That frankly seems odd to me & am wondering how best to proceed (quickly) from here.

Any thoughts or ideas much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position to the OP & have found the process thus far to be both frustrating & unnecessarily convoluted.

I'm self-employed, based in Ireland & will be undertaking work for a German firm who require a police certificate / proof of no criminal record to satisfy their own internal procedures. I initially applied in writing to my local Superintendent, but was contacted to say Police Certs are only issued for visa applications and suchlike. I was directed to the Garda vetting unit & explained to them what I required & was advised to submit form F20 (Request for personal Data under Section 4 Data Protection Act 1988 & 2003). I was told to specify on the form that I request a copy of personal data that may be in existence within AGS specifically in respect of any prior convictions.

Three weeks on, correspondence arrives from AGS vetting unit advising that "This search failed to reveal any personal data in relation to you and accoprdingly there is no attachment containing data as required under Section 4 of the Data protection Act 1988/2003".

I'm naturally reticent to forward that form on to the firm I'll be doing business with, though having spoken again with AGS vetting, they're telling me it's not possible to receive confirmation of no previous criminal convictions. That frankly seems odd to me & am wondering how best to proceed (quickly) from here.

i have used that document as a vetting form before,It states there is no records relating to you,That should be good enough for most employers,If any issue,make them aware that you cannot obtain a standard garda vetting in Ireland and provide evidence of this.

Silly really that no proper system is in place such as the UK CRB/DBS

Yamanoto wrote: »

It just means it cannot guarantee that you have not lied about your identity in the present or past. The document relates to info help on the person whose details were submitted, and this may not be you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

It just means it cannot guarantee that you have not lied about your identity in the present or past. The document relates to info help on the person whose details were submitted, and this may not be you.

Still leaves me in a position where I'm unable to attain a document that's fit for purpose & that should be readily available to anyone capable of establishing their bona fides to an agreed standard.

Just seems like a common sense blind spot in the current system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

glacon wrote: »
    Hi Kosomoko,
    Did you solve your problem? I'm exactly in the same situation. I need a proof of no conviction, I got the same response from the Gadrai and got the useless certificate from the Data Protection Processing Unit. Would be grateful for help.
    I had to call in a favour off a high ranking Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭circular flexing

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Silly really that no proper system is in place such as the UK CRB/DBS

Maybe I'm not reading it right but a DBS check is employer requested.
    Only employers and licensing bodies can request a DBS check. Job applicants can’t do a criminal records check on themselves.

https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/overview

which I think is similar to Garda vetting?

I would have thought the potential employers themselves should be the ones doing the background check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 fisherman_joe

I wish I had seen this before waiting 5 weeks for a document that is essentially useless.

The process here is laughably easy in comparison for getting proof of no criminal convictions.
    I filled out a form, paid it in the afternoon, and had the certificate in my postbox the next morning.

I'm honestly not sure what I should do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I think the DBS in the UK contact AGS on your behalf. That's what I'm lead to belive as I've to fill in one soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

I've done this before and it's fairly straight forward I can't see the confusion. If you require Garda vetting you fill out the form with all your details and addresses. Enter your new employers details and return the form to YUOR employer/HR section. They then forward the form to the Garda vetting unit on your behalf and the vetting unit return clearance to your employer.

My partner used this before when they worked in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kosomoko

Hello,

The OP returns.  I would like to offer some further information and some commentary on the discussion that took place after I left.

Several people have said that either one's employer in the UK or DBS (or UKSV, as it seems to be now) will do the usual Garda vetting process as if they were an Irish company.  I don't know if this is ever true when one needs a UK government security clearance, but it was certainly not true in my case - obtaining SC clearance to work in the nuclear industry.  In such a case, if you are asked for a "Police Certificate", then I don't believe that you have any recourse but to somehow extract one from the Gardaí - attempting to reason with a nuclear industry company or any security/defence oriented company on this matter is almost certainly futile as their rules are even more inflexible and unreasonable than the rules surrounding Garda Police Certificates.

Secondly, I would like to address the comments saying that the member who did it for me could have been disciplined/sacked.  I eventually got the police certificate only after a lengthy correspondance with the Superintendent at the Garda station near my old house, whom I had never met before this.  It is clear that he bent the rule slightly to help me.  However, considering his rank, I'm sure he understood the rules very clearly and would not have put himself at any actual risk.  I also sent him emails between me and my employer which showed that I had done everything possible to try to convince them that a Police Certificate was not the appropriate document.
    -edit-
    I should also make clear that this happened almost three years ago, so the situation may or may not have changed.  If anybody has more up to date information (that you are certain is actually true), I would be very interested in how you fared and your experiences might be very helpful to anybody who comes across this thread - there is hardly any useful information available about these matters.

As circular flexing said above, potential employers should be doing the vetting. What's to stop me saying i'll get my own vetting and create a document that looks official and use that, i could have anything on, or removed from, it. By making the employer get it, the document goes straight from the Gardaí to the employer, no middleman and way less potential for fraudulent documents to be produced by the applicant.

Also, the employer has to be registered with AGS to get the vetting, as not just any company can do it for similar reasons. It's all about data protection and fraud avoidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kosomoko

Do you know if the Gardaí actually have any system in place to allow a foreign employer to request that information?  As far as I am aware, they do not.
    Garda vetting is clearly not applicable - not only was I not working in Ireland, but I was not even doing "Relevant work", as it is defined with respect to Garda vetting.
    I think that it would place a disproportionate administrative burden on an employer in a foreign country to ask that they register with the Gardaí (if this is even possible, which I doubt) and also that they find out how to do the equivalent process with every police force in the entire world.  In the UK, it is not difficult to obtain a document saying that you have no criminal record - it is perfectly natural for a UK employer to suppose that the same is true in Ireland.

I can see why prevening fraud might be the motivation for having the employer ask for the information directly, but I don't agree that there is actually a major risk in having the employee get it themselves.  The employer could simply call the issuing authority to find out if the document is real if they have any concerns.  This is certainly preferable to having no system whatsoever in place!

You're forgetting this is AGS. If there's an awkward and hoop-jumping way of doing things, that's probably the way it's done...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Does anyone have any updates on this, or the best way to go about it. I have just been offered a job in Australia and will need proof of no convictions etc. I rang the e-vetting unit as I thought my employer in Australia could request to register as a relevant organisation (will be working with children in Australia, so relevant), however I was advised to complete the Data Protection Access Request form. How have people got on who have submitted this to their employer - did they accept it in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Went through this recently looking for a list of convictions (if any) for an employer abroad

The Garda on the Blanchardstown public desk got me to complete a form and include a photocopy of my passport. It would then go to the district office. Well that was completely the wrong procedure. The email I got from district office told me the below:

You have to complete form F20 and sent €6.35
    https://www.garda.ie/en/About-Us/Online-Services/Garda-Vetting-unit/F20-Data-Protection-Access-Request-Form-2018.pdf

It goes to Enniscorthy. They have 40 days to reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jasonhptan

Hi guys,

I wonder if there are any further updates regarding this. I recently have been offered a job and require the police certificate. I have submitted a request to the local superintendent and was returned with a reply that they do not give out these certificates for UK or EU and referred to complete the F20 form. Any latest updates regarding this? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

jasonhptan wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I wonder if there are any further updates regarding this. I recently have been offered a job and require the police certificate. I have submitted a request to the local superintendent and was returned with a reply that they do not give out these certificates for UK or EU and referred to complete the F20 form. Any latest updates regarding this? Thanks

Hi Jason

My employer in Australia would not accept the form you get back from the F20 application. It clearly says on that it is not police cleareance (or words to that affect). I ended up going to the garda station and just begging basically, explaining the situation. Luckily i got a sympathic sargent who spoke to the superintendent for me and got it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KatPilar

Absolute joke, you can't get an easy proper police clearance in Ireland to work abroad, despite so many Irish living and working abroad. This is just crazy, I sent on the useless paper I got from the garda vetting office and hope it will be sufficient, but highly doubt it given they write in bold letters that this cannot be used as police clearance. And clearly people have had this issue for the last 10 years and AGS is just ignoring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think if I were pushed around like this with no information and incomplete clearance, I would write to Drew Harris and copy the Minister for Justice.

Then the Ombudsman (can't be done until all other avenues have been exhausted)

It sounds very inept to me and could clearly affect an Irish citizen's right to work in sensitive fields abroad where evidence of no previous convictions is required from the applicant.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

I need this now and it still seems like a big rigmarole to get it....

Thinking of emailing the court house and garda station and asking for a copy of my criminal record....they will reply with something like......'we don't have any'
    That will have to do:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Advertisement