Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Open a webpage using a batch file

• 05-12-2005 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if you know the code to open you browzer (firefox) and automaticaly open say 1 or 3 webpages in the tabs to my favourite pages.

SO when i click it it opens firefox with 3 tabs and 3 pages that i can change

thanks

Jonny

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" "www.site1.com|www.site2.com|www.site3.com"

If you installed firefox somewhere else, change the path as appropiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Thats great thanks only problem is that it finds my cashed site so it dosent update everytime i open it up. any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

Look up WMI classes on MSDN, using VBScript, can do almost anything.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

In XP all you have to do from the command prompt...

start http://www.google.com

will take your default browser and even open in a new tab if you have your browser set that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

MrPinK wrote:
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" "www.site1.com|www.site2.com|www.site3.com"

If you installed firefox somewhere else, change the path as appropiate.

Thats cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

$ausage$ wrote:
    Thats great thanks only problem is that it finds my cashed site so it dosent update everytime i open it up. any ideas?

Change your browser settings..

Also, if this isn't just for you:
    I'd recommend hardcoding the browser path to FireFox (or Opera,etc. that has tabbed browsing) but also code a start (See: Hobbes' post above) as a fallback to cater for different browsers/machine setup.
    This is where batch file solutions obviously fall short - the code gets longer.. VBScript may be a better way of approaching this if there are possible differences..

Start should handle every browser you have installed as long as they launch webpages from double clicking. You really don't have to get into that fancy programming. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Hobbes wrote:
    Start should handle every browser you have installed as long as they launch webpages from double clicking. You really don't have to get into that fancy programming. :)
    But IE doesn't handle | / tabbed browsing -so he'll have to cater for this exception... As it seems preferable (i.e. was in the OP) - it's best to explicitly specify browsers that can handle it first.

IE7 is supposed to. but point made. :)

Advertisement