Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State Benefits with Hearing Loss

• 01-10-2019 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hi all, I’ve hearing loss in both ears, severe in my right and moderate in my left, caused by otosclerosis which has affected the right nerve too, so surgery probably not an option for me.

I’ve been finding work more difficult, communication is stressful, with my hearing aids communication it’s ok in a quiet environment for one on one communication, and if the person is facing me. My audiologist told that this is the best i’ll probably ever get at this stage.

My contract will be up for work soon, and I’m concerned about finding work elsewhere and think I might have to retrain. I’m thinking about applying for illness benefit rather than jobseekers as I feel I’m quite restricted in what I can do and don’t really want to carry on in my previous type of work.

Has anyone any experience of applying for benefits with hearing loss? I feel anxious about it all and what my future holds as my hearing loss is still progressing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

Not sure if Illness Benefit is the same as Disability but as far as I know your hearing loss has to be Profound to qualify. Also it could take a few years to be assessed via the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Terminator wrote: »
    Not sure if Illness Benefit is the same as Disability but as far as I know your hearing loss has to be Profound to qualify. Also it could take a few years to be assessed via the HSE.

Thanks for the reply. 👠I’ve already been assessed by the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tugii20

hi dear

have your application been approved for disability allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've known people that are in security or say night positions where they are minding buildings in the city for example or factories etc...

CCTV monitoring and such....

Could be worth a look.

5 months old thread woops

Advertisement