Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Park Life - which side of the path?

Options
  • 30-03-2020 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

A question about walking in the park (on the path).

So now that so many are out and about in the parks on foot, or jogging, pushing a pram or cycling, what's the etiquette as to which side you stay on?

Do you keep to the left or right?

I was out for a jog in Blackrock park last week (I tried to keep left) but everybody coming towards me was also on the left, so I gave up and stayed right!

Is this a new thing or was it always this way?

Maybe there's no etiquette and you just meander on paths?

What say you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Everyone should stay left side in a country driving on the left. That's how the trains run, most escalators etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I myself walk on the left, but it's not uncommon for people to walk on the right.
    Why right, god knows..

There used to be a rule that if you walk on a road you should walk so you are facing the oncoming traffic. Perhaps this still sticks when people walk on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Interesting .....

I thought it was the left, that's why I'm surprised as to how many 85% approx walking on the right!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

My local greenway has "keep left, pass right" signs posted every so often along the entire route, with handy diagrams. People still don't follow it.

Thoie wrote: »
    My local greenway has "keep left, pass right" signs posted every so often along the entire route, with handy diagrams. People still don't follow it.

Hey, where is that if you don't mind me asking.

I'd like some of those signs for our park.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Left is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

Left would be the obvious side I would have thought, then overtake right as per road rules. Cycling along canal banks I've seen couples walking taking both sides of the path then when I ring my bell they BOTH swap sides ending up walking into each other ðŸ˜.
    Another lady who was walking on the right with her buggy whilst I cylcled left decided to do a blind u turn right in to my path! Panic faces all-round!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I think whoever is facing oncoming traffic should be closest to the edge of the path.

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I think whoever is facing oncoming traffic should be closest to the edge of the path.

You mean when on a path (in a park) walk on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Poochie05

You mean when on a path (in a park) walk on the left.

Yes., keep left. I’m speculating on the logic for that, talking about on a footpath with a road running beside it. The people closest to the edge will have a view of traffic coming their way and know if it’s safe to step out if there’s not enough room.

• Advertisement

So we need some signage in our local park, maybe some arrows painted on the path, or stand alone signage, otherwise it's a 'free for all' with people, joggers, cyclists & prams going any which way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thoie wrote: »

They could do with them on our roads. Was dropping supplies to my parents yesterday and even though the M50 was empty the morons kept to the middle lane.

A lot of companies have a keep right policy for their staff, especially foreign head quartered ones, that could be part of the issue. Along with a lot of people being morons, look how they didn't do social distancing.

Hey, where is that if you don't mind me asking.

I'd like some of those signs for our park.

It's the Passage Railway greenway in Cork. I'll grab a photo next time I'm allowed out for exercise ;)

They look like this - the one here is advising cyclists to ring their bell. There's a few different ones - ring your bell, watch dog leads, keep left pass right, one or two others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.8955737,-8.3926494,3a,50.3y,352.53h,69.64t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAF1QipMKu0vlWBJdpFEZS3i7gcPT-juNFrRrYFgkoPZf!2e10!3e11!7i3840!8i1920

I've heard some people complain about cyclists ringing their bells, but I like it when they do. A quick ding ding is good warning that someone's coming up fast behind you. Haven't heard anyone doing it aggressively.

So we need some signage in our local park, maybe some arrows painted on the path, or stand alone signage, otherwise it's a 'free for all' with people, joggers, cyclists & prams going any which way :)

I've occasionally thought of chalking arrows on the path for the benefit of idiots, but I'd need a lot of chalk, and a good back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So now that so many are out and about in the parks on foot, or jogging, pushing a pram or cycling, what's the etiquette as to which side you stay on?

I was out for a jog in Blackrock park last week (I tried to keep left) but everybody coming towards me was also on the left, so I gave up and stayed right!

What say you?

Do you pass many who insist on sticking to the middle of the path and make no effort to move to either side when you approach? I'm meeting loads of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

for me its simple - if someone is walking towards you and is coughing & sneezing....then wide berth and feck which side of the path

On a road without a footpath I walk on the right so you are facing oncoming cars - I would apply the same rule when on a path for consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lughan

My instinct is always to walk on the right as that's what you do when on a road with no path (i.e. walk against traffic). In parks I would do the same because of bikes. I don't want anything coming up behind me at speed, especially if it can be difficult to hear like a bike.

On a road without a footpath I walk on the right so you are facing oncoming cars - I would apply the same rule when on a path for consistency.

I do the same when walking on country roads with no footpath, but on a dedicated pedestrian/cycle way that includes signage, I keep left like it says. I like consistency, but I can distinguish the two different circumstances.

For the same reason if I'm driving in France I don't drive on the left "for consistency".

But that is not the tradition in Ireland.

Tradition says that when on a path (not connected to the road) then you walk, push a pram or cycle on the left.

A different rule applies to walking on the roads, where you always walk (towards) and on the same side as oncoming traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

Tradition says that when on a path (not connected to the road) then you walk, push a pram or cycle on the left.

A different rule applies to walking on the roads, where you always walk (towards) and on the same side as oncoming traffic.

No, drive or cycle on the left, walk or run on the right. It is not walk on the left some places, and on the right in others.

Liam28 wrote: »
    No, drive or cycle on the left, walk or run on the right. It is not walk on the left some places, and on the right in others.

So when on the path (in the park) you say, always walk or run on the right. :cool:

Liam28 can you please tell us how you came about this theory, as it seems to be at odds with most contributors on here.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Del2005 wrote: »
    A lot of companies have a keep right policy for their staff, especially foreign head quartered ones, that could be part of the issue.

Yeah, some American companies here keep with the policy that they have on their sites back in the US.

Shouldn't be beyond people though to keep left when in public.

And for any couples/families to keep to single file when somebody is passing, bit of courtesy wouldn't go amiss. :rolleyes:

What is tradition though?
    You say walking on the left in the park is tradition but you were walking against the flow so your conclusion is that everyone else was wrong?

It sounds like the old joke where a man asks his friend if he saw the lunatic driving on the wrong side of the dual carriageway that morning.
    His friend answers there wasn't just one there were hundreds of them.

What is tradition though?
    You say walking on the left in the park is tradition but you were walking against the flow so your conclusion is that everyone else was wrong?

It sounds like the old joke where a man asks his friend if he saw the lunatic driving on the wrong side of the dual carriageway that morning.
    His friend answers there wasn't just one there were hundreds of them.

Well then I guess myself Hamsterchops, Atlantic Dawn, SQ2, Thoie, Poochie05, Zebra3 are good old fashioned traditionalists :)

Left right whatever you're having yourself ...

Would be nice to have a bit of conformity though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Caquas

Most paths in parks and most footpaths are not wide enough for people to pass while both stay on the the path. Someone has to get off the path to keep 2 metres distance.

On a public roadway the person facing the oncoming traffic should get off the path, all else being equal. This evening I met only a few walkers who understood this. And a lot of people ignored the golden rule which applies in all cases - when someone yields to you, acknowledge this courtesy. A simple nod will do.

Otherwise, you’re just an arrogant pr**k who thinks the world bows to you. Sadly, not uncommon in Ireland these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Urethral Buttercup

I walk on the the right. Everyone else can walk on the dark side of the moon for all I care.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Yes. It kinda depends on the situation. If we all seem a bit unsure I try to just look where I'm going and we usually sort ourselves out.

In Western Europe we tend to pass on the right of people coming towards us when walking, so most places kind of stick to this informal rule. It gets complicated by some parks/greenways (especially when there's cyclists involved) posting 'keep left' signs, which goes against people's natural bias. It's further complicated by non-nationals, because Eastern Europeans (and Asians iirc) tend to pass on the left. I'll have another little rant below, but I think we should all agree to one rule - pass on the left. Hopefully in time it'll start to feel natural.

Actually sod the rant - I'll just say the 'pass on the right' bias doesn't always seem to work, and watch out for kids and dopes who don't look where they're going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

What say you?

I also find this very disorienting. I drive on the left and I walk on the left. I don't know why people coming towards me on the road seem to walk on their right. I don't think it's any safer to be honest.

Advertisement