Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's the etiquette here??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

As I explained above, it's not really a question of whether YOU have an issue with the doorman approaching them, or whether the manager has an issue with the doorman approaching them. The question is whether the person themselves has an issue with the doorman approaching them, and the most likely answer is 'Yes, they will have an issue with being singled out'.

Any business that doesn't realise that it's not 1978 where good people wear suits and bad people wear jeans and chooses to single out any of these is not really for its own successful future.

?width=630&version=2420674
    DaithiDenoglaYouTuber_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-865384
    https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Falisoncoleman%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F03%2FWyldsson-CEO-Dave-McGeady-1200x797.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRLBWVpryVtp2y97Y0qN0rSMsmnDGsKVKbIQTynOb9qeXoTkbL
    maxresdefault.jpg

I wouldn’t let Paddy Cosgrave in because he’s a festering bellend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I wouldn’t let Paddy Cosgrave in because he’s a festering bellend.

You're just part of the massive government conspiracy against poor Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

As I explained above, it's not really a question of whether YOU have an issue with the doorman approaching them, or whether the manager has an issue with the doorman approaching them. The question is whether the person themselves has an issue with the doorman approaching them, and the most likely answer is 'Yes, they will have an issue with being singled out'.

Any business that doesn't realise that it's not 1978 where good people wear suits and bad people wear jeans and chooses to single out any of these is not really for its own successful future.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Falisoncoleman%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F03%2FWyldsson-CEO-Dave-McGeady-1200x797.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg

Oh come on now, it’s great that those guys are, I’m assuming, successful but they certainly don’t look it and a hotel with standards can’t go letting in any pudgy poorly dressed guy with bad hair in just because there’s 5 or 6 out there who match that description and are loaded.

No one who looks like that should be surprised by a hotel doorman asking them what their business is in the hotel.

I really dislike getting into these excessively pedantic arguments with people like you, seems to be a lot on here. Now, please, just let it go, you’re getting yourself worked up.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Oh come on now, it’s great that those guys are, I’m assuming, successful but they certainly don’t look it and a hotel with standards can’t go letting in any pudgy poorly dressed guy with bad hair in just because there’s 5 or 6 out there who match that description and are loaded.

No one who looks like that should be surprised by a hotel doorman asking them what their business is in the hotel.

I really dislike getting into these excessively pedantic arguments with people like you, seems to be a lot on here. Now, please, just let it go, you’re getting yourself worked up.

What benefit does a hotel (or any business) get by excluding good customers? Why would you assume that anyone in a suit has legitimate business and anyone in a t-shirt doesn't?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

The three lads down the bottom could be brothers. I wouldn’t be letting the sweaty pederast at the bottom anywhere near the jacks of any establishment I was working in being honest. He looks just like the type that would be getting up to some of the toilet action discussed in detail earlier.

• Advertisement

TomasMacR wrote: »
    The three lads down the bottom could be brothers. I wouldn’t be letting the sweaty pederast at the bottom anywhere near the jacks of any establishment I was working in being honest. He looks just like the type that would be getting up to some of the toilet action discussed in detail earlier.

They do look a bit “off”, T. Like the kind of creep who’d be heading off over to Thailand for “the golf”.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He wanted to eject some gooey brown stinky sticky compacted off smelling goodness in nostril shot of you..and you are complaining.

Strumms wrote: »
    He wanted to eject some gooey brown stinky sticky compacted off smelling goodness in nostril shot of you..and you are complaining.

Go to bed, pal, you’re either drunk or stoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Go to bed, pal, you’re either drunk or stoned.

Neither you can be assured, bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Stop talking about doorman and lads being presentable or not and get back to talking about scuttering all over nice fine pewter.

• Advertisement

They do look a bit “off”, T. Like the kind of creep who’d be heading off over to Thailand for “the golf”.

Indeed, big piece of skinned ginger root hanging out of his back pocket and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

maxresdefault.jpg

while it might be too much to expect all in Gieves & Hawkes, a modicum of sartorial standards should be expected, but for gods sake man, one of those is wearing a hoodie.

Might as well make a deposit in an alley if that's tolerated.

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    Stop talking about doorman and lads being presentable or not and get back to talking about scuttering all over nice fine pewter.

I had to go down two floors today, the other toilets stank of rotten bbq and cheap lager. It was the type of stink that you can taste, especially the onion.

I was close to wretching.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

On top of the shıt?
    Whatever you're into man, who am i to judge

Good one Rog.

You fairly pinned me to the wall with that riposte.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Went in there earlier and there was an oul fella on his way out. Bald, in his 60s, skinny with I'd say lots of vegetables in his diet.

Mother of God the bang off the bowl when I went in, eye watering stuff. Brown streak speed-lines from the water line all down the U bend. Didn't help how warm it was and how "fresh" the crime scene was.

Also noticing lots of lads leaving a few brown pebbles floating about, what's the story with that? Stronger flush needed me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

System all over the place after the long weekend plus off yesterday. Normal 10-11am evacuation spilled into 3pm. Was simmering away from about 1:30 but as it is pissing rain I didn't want to make the trek to Tesco.

Our Accounts lady was in today so the men's at work was off bounds due to her close proximity the other side of the stud wall (about 2 feet). But she finishes at 3pm so decided to hang tough.

Fantastic evacuation- hit that sweet spot all out in one go but unfortunately it took three flushes (yes three) to get that bad boy down including a friendly helping nudge from the toilet brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

System all over the place after the long weekend plus off yesterday. Normal 10-11am evacuation spilled into 3pm. Was simmering away from about 1:30 but as it is pissing rain I didn't want to make the trek to Tesco.

Our Accounts lady was in today so the men's at work was off bounds due to her close proximity the other side of the stud wall (about 2 feet). But she finishes at 3pm so decided to hang tough.

Fantastic evacuation- hit that sweet spot all out in one go but unfortunately it took three flushes (yes three) to get that bad boy down including a friendly helping nudge from the toilet brush.

:(

Nothing worse then having to use a toilet brush, hate the ****ing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Technically speaking I didn't flush it down at all as the toilet brush sent it on its way. The third flush was just to clean up the residual skid marks and to rinse the toilet brush.

I have to admit I got a little emotional looking at the turd coming back and bobbing its head back at me. I felt like I was pushing away a lost puppy. A bit forlorn looking actually. Christ above hormones must be at me.

Jesus, leaving it on the clutch for that long is a very dangerous activity - arrogant even. It assumes that a number of important variables are in place - that the sample is made up almost entirely of solids, that there isn’t a build up of liquid or gas behind the head of the turd, that you won’t inadvertently unclench your arse and hoop while having a smoke and coffee, that facilities will be available when you need them.

The arrogance of youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Jesus, leaving it on the clutch for that long is a very dangerous activity - arrogant even. It assumes that a number of important variables are in place - that the sample is made up almost entirely of solids, that there isn’t a build up of liquid or gas behind the head of the turd, that you won’t inadvertently unclench your arse and hoop while having a smoke and coffee, that facilities will be available when you need them.

The arrogance of youth.

Or the confidence of youth

• Advertisement

Or the confidence of youth

It’s all well and good to feel confident - until you feel gouts of hot scour running down the legs of your easy-fit chinos.

This is a perfect example of what this thread is about, etiquette. This is the height of it. Refusing to let slip the dogs of war within earshot of, what I can only assume is, a pretty lady. Or maybe she handles payroll. Either way, way done sir. That level of over-boiling can only lead to cramps, disgusting farts and an unpleasant release. A true sacrifice.

They really are disgusting. I mean, who cleans them? Anytime I’ve used one I just used it, swished it in the flush and put it back. Hardly a deep clean for the brush itself.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I’m sure the staff would be informed if there was such a person coming to speak. They’d probably told to question, in a polite manner, anyone who looks like a beggar.

Some places still have standards, regardless of wealth.

Always an "easy out" to bluff the doorman in these establishments.
    Phone to the ear and as you approach the door you say " yeah I'm just here now...I can meet you in the lobby or we can grab a coffee in the bar". A polite nod to the doorman as he opens the door for you.
    This allows you to enter unhindered and the glorious joy that comes with coiling one out cannot be beaten that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,034 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

This is a perfect example of what this thread is about, etiquette. This is the height of it. Refusing to let slip the dogs of war within earshot of, what I can only assume is, a pretty lady. Or maybe she handles payroll. Either way, way done sir. That level of over-boiling can only lead to cramps, disgusting farts and an unpleasant release. A true sacrifice.

They really are disgusting. I mean, who cleans them? Anytime I’ve used one I just used it, swished it in the flush and put it back. Hardly a deep clean for the brush itself.

Well there’s the opposite ‘etiquette’ in these situations .Like you need to back a load out.

Into the stall, spool up and blow the fcuking lot out like a flock of pidgeons taking off.

Then out, look your one in the eye and say “Those sardines revived when they hit the water,love, I’d wait a while”

mfceiling wrote: »
    Always an "easy out" to bluff the doorman in these establishments.
    Phone to the ear and as you approach the door you say " yeah I'm just here now...I can meet you in the lobby or we can grab a coffee in the bar". A polite nod to the doorman as he opens the door for you.
    This allows you to enter unhindered and the glorious joy that comes with coiling one out cannot be beaten that day.

Very true but if you look like a scruffy little creep your chances are diminished.
    Then out, look your one in the eye and say “Those sardines revived when they hit the water,love, I’d wait a while”

I guess it can be a two way street. She needs to move her desk as it’s easier than moving the facilities. Quite rude of her to be listening in.

Unless she’s a looker, then you’re on your own.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 27,153 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

while it might be too much to expect all in Gieves & Hawkes, a modicum of sartorial standards should be expected, but for gods sake man, one of those is wearing a hoodie.

Might as well make a deposit in an alley if that's tolerated.

It could be worse, I saw a doorman of one of our better hotels admitting a lad in cycling gear. Standards are slipping everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Very true but if you look like a scruffy little creep your chances are diminished.

I’ve popped in there unshaven and unsuited. Like many.

Not to just take a sh1t though.

I’m amazed how many (*cough*) posters here have such scatalogical tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

maxresdefault.jpg

I really don't think you understand this thread Andrew?? It's funny. A joke thread like.

Get a life, you seriously need to look at yourself and whether you understand jokes?

This is a perfect example of what this thread is about, etiquette. This is the height of it. Refusing to let slip the dogs of war within earshot of, what I can only assume is, a pretty lady. Or maybe she handles payroll.

Agreed in principle but some more detail is needed from partyguinness, this could be down to self-preservation. if Brenda from payroll is some dog rough mid-fifties 18 stone salad dodger who has had four helpings of Easter dinner followed multiple chocolate eggs and has tactically decided to drop the mother load of ‘Barry Whites’ in the office full of lads she rarely sees then I’d be quite happy to sh*t myself at my desk then risk going into jacks and be sat next to that plasterboard divider and listen to her arsehole give birth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,034 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

BBFAN wrote: »
    I really don't think you understand this thread Andrew?? It's funny. A joke thread like.

Get a life, you seriously need to look at yourself and whether you understand jokes?

Its no joke

Advertisement