Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

Options
  • 29-07-2011 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

These are the people who will make up the High Flying Birds, when they hit the road in October beginning at a as yet unannounced venue in Dublin...

David 'Macca' Donald
    Guitar

He let slip that he'd joined up back in January, during an interview to promote The Sand Band's debut album.

He has also played guitar for 'The Coral', when Bill Ryder-Jones left mid Tour.

He has also played on Richard Ashcroft's solo material.

Russell Pritchard
    Bass

Former Zuton who Noel says "just called me up one afternoon and said, 'Have you got a bass player?" Russell was the last to join the Flying Birds.

Mike Rowe
    Keyboards

In his recent Press conference Noel said that Mike had played with Oasis on the Be Here Now tour, in fact his live appearances go back to Maine Road and Knebworth, where he played harmonica. He also appeared on both 'Be Here Now' and 'Heathen Chemistry'

Jeremy Stacey
    Drummer

Twin brother of longtime Noel associate Paul 'Strangeboy' Stacey who has contributed to a number of Oasis records. The pair were in a 90's band together called 'The Lemon Trees' that group featured Guy Chambers who co-wrote a number of songs with Robbie Williams.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Mojo Magazine previews of "If I Had A Gun..." and "AKA... What A Life!"

"If I Had A Gun..."
    An emotional ballard, touches of Wonderwall in it's arm-waving sense of togetherness and ode-to-a-loverlyrics like, "If I had the time, I'd stop the world and make you mine/And everyday would be the same for you." It's an affecting song people will get married to, and buried to.

"AKA... What A Life!"
    Now we're off into another place entirely. And that place - there's no other way to describe it - is the disco. What A Life! has a pounding piano reminiscent of early house music, and the four-to-the-fall beat that belongs under a gliterball. It's in a cloak of acid rock too, with squealing guitars and Sympathy For The Devil-style whoo-hoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I'm probably lucky the tickets for the Olympia haven't yet went on sale.

I just chucked up over 65 for my RHCP ticket today so the fact we are still waiting will give me time to work more so that I will have money for the show.

So far I've heard;

The Death of You and Me
    (I Wanna Live In A Dream In My) Record Machine
    If I Had A Gun
    Stop The Clocks

All fantastic tunes, can't wait to hear the rest:D

karaokeman wrote: »
    So far I've heard;

The Death of You and Me
    If I Had A Gun
    Stop The Clocks

Don't forget "Everybody's On The Run"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

I'm probably lucky the tickets for the Olympia haven't yet went on sale.

I just chucked up over 65 for my RHCP ticket today so the fact we are still waiting will give me time to work more so that I will have money for the show.

So far I've heard;

The Death of You and Me
    If I Had A Gun
    Stop The Clocks

Where have you heard the other songs apart from the single?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

niallo24 wrote: »

Old Demos of the songs are on Youtube.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

'I wanna live in a dream in my record machine' has being doing the rounds since 2005. It was originally supposed to feature on Don't believe the truth.

niallo24 wrote: »

They leaked a while back.

I could spend my whole life listening to Stop The Clocks, that song is pure genius and it will be immense when played live in the Olympia.

If this keeps up I could possibly see Noel becoming bigger than Oasis on his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

He played 'Stop The Clocks' in the Zanzibar club many moons ago.

ooops double post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

If this keeps up I could possibly see Noel becoming bigger than Oasis on his own.

That will definitely not happen. Oasis have sold 50 million albums +. Noel will be popular in Ireland, Britain, Japan and then maybe some parts of Europe if he's lucky. He's not going to have another Morning Glory selling album though!

• Advertisement

That will definitely not happen. Oasis have sold 50 million albums +. Noel will be popular in Ireland, Britain, Japan and then maybe some parts of Europe if he's lucky. He's not going to have another Morning Glory selling album though!

Well its certainly more likely than Beady Eye becoming bigger.

Liam keeps harping on about how Beady Eye will top Oasis' success but with the poor sales of their album I would be surprised if they are even bigger than Boyzone let alone Oasis.

Well its certainly more likely than Beady Eye becoming bigger.

Liam keeps harping on about how Beady Eye will top Oasis' success but with the poor sales of their album I would be surprised if they are even bigger than Boyzone let alone Oasis.

I wouldn't doubt that much.

Ticket prices are €49.65 - €54.65 which is an absolute bargain for Noel Gallagher in an intimate setting.
    Considering two years ago he played in a Meath field to 100,000+ people these are gold dust

A preview of the track widely believed to be "A Simple Game of Genius", which is track 11 in the exclusive download only deluxe version of the album. It sounds very similar to parts of the 18 minute long jam recorded at the soundcheck in Hong Kong in 2009, where coincidently Noel can be heard singing something very similar to the tracks title on three seperate occasions.
    So here's hoping for an epic album closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

[SIZE=-2][SIZE=-2][SIZE=-2]'You dress me down when you call me up so don't call me alive...'

Check out the first play of 'The Good Rebel', b-side of 'The Death Of You And Me', tonight on Zane Lowe's Radio 1 show between 19:00 and 21:00. Listen live here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

If you missed it; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrSg6ENswyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Has anyone found anywhere we can preview the album or is it being kept locked up until release :P

Edit: Besides the songs already on youtube

Definitely being kept under lock and key until the last moment!

If I Had a Gun is rumoured to be released in America in September so that might be the next track we hear.

There's a good interview with MOJO here which is a great read; http://imageshack.us/g/143/ccf1208201100000.jpg/

After what happened with the Beady Eye album previewing on iTunes in France a few weeks before release I dont think they will make this mistake again.
    It's interesting that the release date in Japan is 12/10/2010, whereas Britain is 17/10/2010. Normally in Ireland you can get these albums on the Friday because our chart stats on the Friday so that gives us a release date of 14/10/2010

• Advertisement

Even if it leaks Im waiting for the official release which is something I
    rarely do!

Temaz wrote: »
    rarely do!
    I've generally always tried to do that with Oasis releases, the way the internet is now when albums leak it's near impossible to avoid. You nearly have to find a rock and climb under it

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Good read from a recent Noel Gallagher interview about the new stuff, the Oasis break up, etc.

Noel Gallagher is worrying about his first solo tour.

"One of two things is going to happen," he says.

"Around the 12th gig, I'll be sat in the dressing room, dripping with sweat and thinking, 'I'm easily as good as Elvis. Hey, I'm up there with The King!'

"Or, I will be sat in the same dressing room, going, 'This is sh*t and I don't even know why I left Oasis. Why did I leave that band? We were f**king great'."

http://oasisnewsroom.live4ever.us/2011/08/noel-gallagher-talks-oasis-and-more.html

This came to my inbox!!
    LIVE WEBCHAT WITH NOEL THIS MONDAY!

As mentioned at the launch of the website Noel will be doing a live global webchat giving fans the opportunity to question him about Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, his forthcoming album and live dates, or anything else they've always wanted to ask.

The global webchat, compered by friend Matt Morgan, is scheduled to broadcast this Monday 22nd August from 19:00 (UK time).

Temaz wrote: »
    rarely do!

I'm not waiting! The second this leaks I'll be listening. We've waited years for this. I know a lot of people want to wait but if its on the internet it will be very hard not to listen to it.

Four or five Oasis tunes in the new setlist according to Noel on his
    webchat.

NME reporting the single will reach the top 10 in the UK.

Can only be good news. Apparently Dublin stores were only selling the 7". No CDs to be had

1. Everybody's On The Run

A rousing opener. Epic in nature, recalling the grandeur of George Harrison's All Things Must Pass, with soaring background vocals and heart-tugging strings that blend for a massive dramatic sweep. Throughout, Noel sings like a desperate, impassioned soul, weaving melodies that swirl around one's head but stick like glue. The bridge has a classic rock feel, a symphonic build-up. Acoustic guitars overwhelm and lead into the last resounding chorus. Gradually, the music drifts away, leaving Noel, alone on a hilltop, singing the title hook. That's one smashing song!

2. Dream On

No, not a cover of the Aerosmith classic, but on first listen it's a big-time sing-along. A jaunty, pounding beat joined by briskly strummed acoustics, it's something of a more aggressive She's Electric, but Noel, in a more throaty vocal, brings a new kind of charm to the proceedings. Brass dominates the middle section, with a trumpet solo that transports one to New Orleans. "Dream on/ shout it out to me," Noel pleads in the final chorus as drums and brass build, only to be overtaken by electric guitars that conclude the song with a rocking flourish.

3. If I Had A Gun...

Ever since leaked soundcheck demos of this song appeared on the internet, much interest has attended its studio rendering, and the results don't disappoint. After a bare bones, acoustic-and-vocal, quasi-Wonderwall opening, the song blossoms into just what might become a modern-day rock standard. Gallagher's vocals are emotional but never mawkish. The bridge and solo sections are stirring, with acoustic guitars and strings piling up. But it's Noel's double or triple-tracked harmonies, haunting and vulnerable, that really hit the target. Hands-down winner on this one.

4. The Death Of You and Me

Being that it's the first single from High Flying Birds, the capoed acoustic intro that ushers in Noel's gentle falsetto is already familiar to millions. The overall mood is laid-back, '70s era Kinks, with a melancholy Gallagher singing, "High time, summer in the city/ kids are looking pretty/ but isn't it a pity in the sunshine." And, of course, he draws out that last word, making it almost a sneer - "sunshiiiiine." While the track bears an unmistakable resemblance to The Importance Of Being Idle, it gradually takes on its own form, looming larger, with another taste of New Orleans-style brass creeping in.

5. (I Wanna Live In A Dream In My) Record Machine

An endearing, wondrous cut. Over an acoustic guitar and a Phil Spectorish jingle stick, Noel begins singing what might be his own teenage symphony to God. Bass and electrics climb aboard, with Noel's double-tracked voice becoming mega. And then there's strings as he sings the title big and bold in a chorus that is bound to stick - we're talking cell-phones in the air. Whether it's an homage to the Wall Of Sound or not, the sonics increase, and before long Noel is at the top of his lungs, open-hearted and open-throated - it's a delirious feeling. After a brief, gentle break, the song breaks away into a grand gallop. Here's one pony that can't be tamed.

6. AKA... What A Life!

A four-on-the-floor tom beat drives this incessant rocker. Noel, cynical and evil, sings with a world-weariness, and as he hammers home the chorus he again draws out the last word, making it "liiiiiiife." Piercing guitars link the verse and chorus sections, but it is with this song that an honest-to-goodness six-string solo finally breaks out - and it's ripping, barking and snarling. A final elongated verse ends the song on an ominous note, but it's one that leaves the listener breathlessly waiting for more

• Advertisement

Noel gone in at #35 this week in Ireland.

Advertisement