Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

About the Spanish concern, maybe being a weekend in Lent there would be more than a few people planning to go on that famous walking trail ? Is it called Compostela? Perhaps someone in the know on that could enlighten us. By northwest Spain standards it is going to be quite cold with this strong wind, but as stated by GL they get a lot of that being in that exposed position.

I was really getting ready for the Ellen angle, now this. After Humberto I suppose the law of averages means this will be Big Wind 2.0.

(please tabloids I am sort of having a laff there, but there are a lot of isobars on the 06z GFS, enough for everyone to have their own personal one.)

You mean the Camino de Santiago, 500 miles from St Jean Pied de Port ending in Santiago de Compostela. And yes, a very important pilgrimage at this season of Lent . Most take a full week over it. And the pilgrims will take the weather literally in their stride.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS going for 70 to 110km/h winds generally, maybe higher off western coasts.

60-289UK.GIF?27-6

Arpege generally similar but some much stronger gusts off the west coast with 140km/h possible.

arpegeuk-11-65-0.png?27-12

Icon is as usual over the top and showing red warning levels of 140 or 150km/h. They have way over estimated the past few storms so I wouldn't take this chart seriously, just like I wouldn't take the euro chart seriously for snow.

iconeu_uk1-11-58-0.png?27-10

will have to wait till tonight and see what the Hirlam brings. Probably will be something more sensible in line with the GFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭flazio

R.F. wrote: »
    I have no doubt someone has already answered. But I was looking at storm names the other day. And J was meant to be Storm Jan.

And another thing! What the heck happened to Storm Ellen, Gerda, Francis and Hugh?

The serious answer here is that the storm formed off the Iberian coast and therefore they got to name it. Storm Ellen has not hit yet. Last weekend didn’t get a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭endainoz

I didn't mean it was hyped for us, only Spain.

Ah apologies, I read your post wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Absolutely glorious day on the West Coast ( lovely bright sunny Spring day) thanks to MTs early warning post this morning...I made sure to get a nice 2 hr coastal walk done before I heard the Met Eireann warning on the radio.

Looks like a trip to Lesureland in Salthill will have to postponed for a third time on Sat :(
    God I'm sick to death of these storms. Its feels like the whole month of Feb has been one continuous rain and wind fest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's as if the storms and crap weather are doing it on purpose.
    "Oh so you want a nice weekend? Here's a storm for you.The rest of the week,be grand. Why don't you have another storm next weekend again".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

At a glance appears like most direct and impactful storm of season.

No hype either, Saturday will be a day for indoors

Maybe a grand finale?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Maybe a grand finale?

A farewell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

pauldry wrote: »
    Why Jorge?

In honour of the pope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

flazio wrote: »
    The serious answer here is that the storm formed off the Iberian coast and therefore they got to name it. Storm Ellen has not hit yet. Last weekend didn’t get a name.

It hasn't formed anywhere near Iberia. It's still way out east of New Foundland, at around 47N 37W (the unmarked low developing to the south of that 1002-hPa low).

ukmo_nat_fax_2020022712_000.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

So I think what you are saying is that its probably not a good day to have a rugby match in Westport? :cool: 3rd cancellation in a row, tough spell of weather for field sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

A farewell.

AH yes; much better word! thank you..I am so tired I cannot even raise any reaction etc to this one. In between storms, high winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looks like a total nothing for Spain, why are they getting in on the act?! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Looks like a total nothing for Spain, why are they getting in on the act?! :mad:

Our fish for years, now stealing our storm naming rights.. the bas*ards!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

IMO

ECM o6Z and GFS 12Z quite similar in bringing the center of the Storm closer to the W and across the NW / N

Showing 50 kt mean barbs and 70 Kt gust barbs along the coasts from Kerry up to Galway. Winds gusting up around 110 km/h overland.

Possible or fairly probable frontal snow event Saturday morning, very wintry at least for a time. Looks like accumulations inland but details will firm up more tomorrow re this.

Thinking this has increased wind speeds over the last few runs, ECM ,UKMO and GFS quite bunched in track and strength, ARPEGE and ICON have the system a bit further North so keeping the strongest winds to the W.

Thinking that it wouldn't take much more to make this a red warning for Kerry and Clare going by the current ECM and GFS. I think the GFS at close range is quite reliable and that is a fairly severe chart just out. More counties will probably go into the Orange wind warning category .

anim_zby3.gif

85TjWGf.png

ay70Fmi.png

anim_pox0.gif

k2EOlOO.png

FdG25Dr.png

vjaXVJG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ChristyM

I see the National Emergency Coordination Group is to meet tomorrow in advance of Storm Jorge

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0227/1117923-weather-warning/

PS That's a nice photo of Fenit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

George Lee nailing it all “The Spanish noticed it first”

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

IMO

ECM o6Z and GFS 12Z quite similar in bringing the center of the Storm closer to the W and across the NW / N

Showing 50 kt mean barbs and 70 Kt gust barbs along the coasts from Kerry up to Galway. Winds gusting up around 110 km/h overland.

Possible or fairly probable frontal snow event Saturday morning, very wintry at least for a time. Looks like accumulations inland but details will firm up more tomorrow re this.

Thinking this has increased wind speeds over the last few runs, ECM ,UKMO and GFS quite bunched in track and strength, ARPEGE and ICON have the system a bit further North so keeping the strongest winds to the W.

Thinking that it wouldn't take much more to make this a red warning for Kerry and Clare going by the current ECM and GFS. I think the GFS at close range is quite reliable and that is a fairly severe chart just out. More counties will probably go into the Orange wind warning category .

anim_zby3.gif

85TjWGf.png

ay70Fmi.png

anim_pox0.gif

k2EOlOO.png

FdG25Dr.png

vjaXVJG.png

How much precipitation are we likely to get between tomorrow morning and Sunday evening.
    Is the Shannon going to get worse with flooding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭endainoz

bazlers wrote: »
    How much precipitation are we likely to get between tomorrow morning and Sunday evening.
    Is the Shannon going to get worse with flooding?

I'm fairly sure more rain is due later tonight, so I'd say there could be a good chance of more flooding. Todays break from the rain was badly wanted

endainoz wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure more rain is due later tonight, so I'd say there could be a good chance of more flooding. Todays break from the rain was badly wanted

Heavy rain just started out here now. West mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Graces7 wrote: »
    Heavy rain just started out here now. West mayo offshore

Just a passing shower Graces7

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Met É have released a commentary on their thoughts for Storm Jorge.

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/meteorologists-commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

easypazz wrote: »
    It will be another non event. I am calling it now.

What a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

5wind.png

The commentary Sryanbruen mentions includes this Harmonie map

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

That's a fairly large swathe of 80km/h+ mean winds just off the coast. Can understand the warnings.
    (The orange is 76km/h +, red is 89km/h + . 80km/h + over land is a red warning criterion).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

No mention of snow in the forecast for Saturday. Just sleet and hail...

Looks severe but not end or worldly.

Once in a season type storm
    Take care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

pad199207 wrote: »
    George Lee nailing it all “The Spanish noticed it first”

What an utter clown!!

Advertisement