Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flickr fraught situation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

They have allready doubled the price from $25 to $50 a year , they seem desperate, I guess they lost an absolute fortune when they decided to give unlimited space to free accounts a few years back.

crazy move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

It really is the best platform for photographers. It's such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

TomSweeney wrote: »
    They have allready doubled the price from $25 to $50 a year , they seem desperate, I guess they lost an absolute fortune when they decided to give unlimited space to free accounts a few years back.

crazy move.

I've had the pro package for quite a number of years and in fairness it's been improved a lot over those years. I have 100,007 items up there, ( a small few are doubled up as in Small sizes for public display and the Large file set to private) and for roughly 50 quid a year that's great value.

The unlimited for free packages is gone now as far as I remember which was kind of to be expected. I think it's 1,000 photos now or something like that, which is decent enough to be fair.

IMO it's the best platform out there for what I want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have it too. It was near the 1000 so i just deleted half the stuff and made more room.

I do still miss Pixie .... that was the best space for Photographers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I hope enough people upgrade to pro to save the company.

So I can keep my free account. And there’s the problem with the business model.

• Advertisement

• Like Smyths having taken over Hamleys and running them on their own terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Lucy Swift Cradle

I got an email today and renewed my membership.

Code 25in2019 gives you 25%off.
    I used a US zip code and it cost me $40./€36.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I got an email today and renewed my membership.

Code 25in2019 gives you 25%off.
    I used a US zip code and it cost me $40./€36.

Eircode works as well.

It really is great value.

Hopefully their marketing plan works as I run a work account through it as well (also Pro Account) and it works very well. Used to use Dropbox but that was disastrous because of the fellas that couldn't figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

CabanSail wrote: »
    I have it too. It was near the 1000 so i just deleted half the stuff and made more room.

I do still miss Pixie .... that was the best space for Photographers.

Pixie was promoted by Boards- had a sticky posted by a mod - and then left us all high and dry without even a chance to recover our photos.
    The worst and most devastating 'photo related' experience I had.

Really sorry I ever touched it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Pix.ie went out of business.

Surely you would only have had copies of images on the site, so nothing should have been lost.

I think Boards supported Pix.ie as it was an Irish based site and worked really well when it was going. It was done according to all the policies at the time.

• Advertisement

Surely you would only have had copies of images on the site, so nothing should have been lost.
    Have to agree with you on this one. I wouldn't even commit all my photos to Flickr.
    Have backups of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I've no interest in photography but I just thought I'd let you know Google photos could be a good option, Something like €2 per month per 100GB. With the first 15GB free. And they also have unlimited free storage at a maximum of 1080p/16 megapixels. Resolution on the paid plan has no max.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I have a free account, but I don't put that many pictures online. I much prefer Flickr to Instagram, but most people have moved over so there's less engagement on Flickr. I signed up to Google drive to backup all my files (a giant backlog of RAWs to be edited). It was never clear to me whether Flickr could do that or not. And now it's too late, I've bought into Google.

As for the email, I had to check it want from Wikipedia. It seems a bit much when their service isn't as important as wiki and the community has shrunk over the Yahoo years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If this site is on the ropes it would be prudent to ensure that you also have copies of your work stored elsewhere.

Did everyone remember to download their files from Irista?

• OK.

I'm not being a fupping hypocrite here: I have 998 photos on my free flickr account...................................but if they are suddenly vaped by flickr then it's MY OWN FAULT.

Take care folks. Happy Christmas. Whatever you expect that big fat red mug to bring you tonight ;}

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭victor8600

Flickr is likely to close at some stage unless they invent some way to generate money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

I think Boards supported Pix.ie as it was an Irish based site and worked really well when it was going. It was done according to all the policies at the time.

I was a lot less clued-in back then than I am now.

I foolishly thought that a photo storage site recommended by Boards and its mods might actually store your photos for you and thus allow you to delete them from your PC to save space on your C drive.

Given some of the anguished posts I saw on the what happened to Pixie threads here after it unceremoniously closed its doors - I don't think I was the only one to fall into that trap.

• See my thread has been PROMOTED to Photography! Trivial Stuff that makes ye happy. :) Actually, I do have some film photos on flickr too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,005 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Have to agree with you on this one. I wouldn't even commit all my photos to Flickr.
    Have backups of everything.
    Surely this is the whole point of paying for a service like Flickr - to allow you to move your archive from local storage into the cloud?

• Advertisement

Surely this is the whole point of paying for a service like Flickr - to allow you to move your archive from local storage into the cloud?

Keps took that attitude with pixie and look what happen him :)

Can Flickr even handle backups in a logical manner?

• McGaggs wrote: »

Good question. Other poster mentioned concerns about storage on hard drive. Why not think about solid state hard drive in this context?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Had a Flickr Pro account but deleted it after the Yahoo data breaches and poor handling of it.

I can't see it continuing. Lost its way long ago.

McGaggs wrote: »
    You can set any smart device to automatically upload photos to Flickr. Is that what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You should have local storage, off site storage and cloud storage. Anything else you risk losing data.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I hope Flickr remains part of the online photography platforms - I pay for the Pro, given costs of everyday living, such as rent - its not much, and so much better than 500px or Facebook, hopefully it rides the storm and continues. It has been the best online hosting service community by miles. B

Del2005 wrote: »
    You should have local storage, off site storage and cloud storage. Anything else you risk losing data.
    Does anyone (or everyone) realistically do this for family use? Not a professional (or even a very serious/good) photographer - just the family archive. It is of course precious and priceless in it's own way, but there has to be a reasonable level of cost/benefit too.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    i use it for family photographs and videos

is there a better alternative
    Just to be clear, are you saying that you use Flickr or that you use the belt-and-braces approach suggested above (local storage, off site storage and cloud storage.).

• Advertisement

• OmegaGene wrote: »
    i use it for family photographs and videos

is there a better alternative

I now use Google Photos.

the pros: free

the cons: very very messy/ I don't really understand how to use Google Photos even after 2 years.

verdict: Strictly YMMV

Advertisement