Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clothing 101- recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thanks for the updates, folks. Good to know about the repair service, but it makes me feel like I did something wrong. I didn't come off the bike, and I don't recall anything that would account for unusual wear and tear. I'll check in with Gabilier and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

fwiw, I've had those types of issues with (non-galibier) gloves that were just slightly too small. I seem to be between sizes in all clothes, accessories and footwear!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Antipathetic

Sorry if this has been mentioned already in the thread somewhere but as someone who is just getting back into cycling after a very long hiatus and wants to get some proper clothing, is there a good guide somewhere on what I should look to buy especially to account the different weather conditions?

At the moment I mainly cycle on Zwift on my bike using an old pair of Aldi or Lidl cycling shorts and when the weather suits I venture outside on my mountain bike. Just wearing casual clothes, although I have noticed the saddle gets uncomfortable after a while I have a fairly decent road bike. I'd love to get outside with more now there is more daylight in the evening time and the weather is supposedly getting better.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The Aldi shorts presumably are padded but not in any great way. As they are old, the effectiveness of the passing would decrease. I'm not sure if you use these at all when out on the road.

If you bought a better pair of padded shorts, you'd find that you can stay out innthr saddle for much longer.

There are loads of brands with varying prices available online or from your local bike shop. However, I and many others happily use this Irish company...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yep same as Seth is saying, I've 3 pairs of these by now

To the rest of your question.

Clothing wise, once you have a helmet and a decent pair of bibs I'd be getting out on the bike.

I would sort out a puncture repair kit though unless staying very local.

2 tyre levers, 2 spare tubes and a frame pump. How you carry is up to you. I prefer a saddle bag.

Lastly a bottle cage and a bottle.

• Advertisement

Haven't the money to test them at the moment, but last I looked, Galibier had some shorts in the outlet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The thing about bib tights- its the one area that is in contact with the bike and will cause you discomfort

A half decent pair and some chamois cream will do you a full year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

Or even a half decent pair and no arse cream😀

Never gone for chamois cream (eczema sufferer so have to be extra careful anyway), and haven't run into "issues" with decent shorts. Actually, generally don't have issues with cheap shorts either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭secman

What's the sizing like on the Galibier ?

• Advertisement

Best I could say is the sizing guides on the website are accurate. I've followed them for each piece I've bought, and haven't had to exchange anything

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Same for me. Everything is as described and I've had no sizing issues with loads of purchases

Thanks for all your help everyone managed to have a rummage through my wardrobe and discovered I had two pairs of bibs one from DHB and the other from planet x although just my luck I'm right on the border between size small and size medium. I presume I should size down from now on?

Anybody here switch from Speedplay pedals over to Shimano I'm considering switching to their SPD system on all my bikes. Plus in the future I'd love to get a pair of Asioma Shi power metre spindles at the moment on my exercise bike I have dual stages power metres so in the future would like to have that out on my road bike with the possibility of swapping to my mountain bike when I feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I've bought multiple items from them. Initially I emailed them with my exact measurements & asked for their recommendation.

Good to know that the sizing is accurate on their website. However, unfortunately I still haven't gotten round to ordering anything you think finding a tailor's tape measure would be easy, but no, it's something you have to go off to Amazon to get

Anyway, I have another question, although I suspect this one is like asking how long a piece of string is, but what temperature would you consider switching from bib shorts to full bib trousers even when you wear arm and leg warmers with your bib shorts and short sleave jersey.

Just wondering if it's worth my while ordering a pair of bib tights just yet or leave it closer to autumn and winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd definitely go for bib shorts with leg warmers at this time of year. Should get you through to October at the very least.

You will need something over the short sleeve jersey and arm warmers though. A Galibier gilet (and rain jacket) might be a great investment

To take the conversation away from the "Tell me about your cycle" thread, I'm looking to replace an Altura Pocket Rocket that is light, waterproof, but not breathable. I've been looking at the Galibier website (surprise), but I'm not sure which jacket would be most suitable. Anybody got first hand experience?

I already have a Mistral foul weather jacket, so not looking for that, or anything similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

I have both the Tourmalet aand Tempest pro jackets here, the big difference being the Tempest is more packable whereas the Tourmalet would be the one to take if it was going to be wet all day. Both decently breathable. Go up a size from your Mistral.

I also have the graand tour, a lighter version of the Mistral

The usual offer to come have a look if you want applies.

How packable is the tempest pro? Fit handy enough in jersey pocket? Got it's own pouch to pack in to?

I've the Ventultra. It's packable and breathable, definitely not waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

Yes to both, it has a pouch attached that it packs into and it fits handily enough into a jersey pocket.

It's light but puffs up a little so you'd know it's in the pocket. I've folded up my Tourmalt and got it in a pocket but that would be much bulkier

• Advertisement

Thanks nilhg. I'll actually take you up on it this time 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

Again over from the "Tell me about your cycle" thread, I've just taken delivery of the Tempest Pro this morning, so will be trying it out tomorrow. It looks to be quality. Packs down neatly into it's attached baggie as nilhg says and come ups maybe about 10cm in length, 5 across, so should fit nicely in a rear pocket. It's race cut and doesn't stretch, so on the advice of Galibier I sized up and it fits perfectly for my purposes (I wanted a more relaxed fit - I probably could have just about got away with the normal size)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 DrumcDub1

Good summer/warm weather jersey recommendations?

Sorry, I meant to reply sooner. I presume when you say summer you mean an Irish summer in terms of temperature, rather than continental Europe.

The other day I was able to get out for a two-hour spin wearing the Sentinel Jersey along with a base layer I found it perfect, although times I did feel like I could have done with my Gillet and arm warmers. 

I'd highly recommend it for the Irish climate. During the late spring and summer seasons.

https://www.galibier.cc/product/sentinel-waterproof-cycling-jersey/

There's a few Sportful ones on www.probikekit.co.uk

They're pretty reasonably priced

They've Castelli Perfettos on there as well with decent discounts bringing them to the "expensive" rather than "eye watering" range

[Edit] Sorry, my bad - the Perfettos are actually on https://www.sportpursuit.com/

They've also an altura jersey with a marino mix? Might be worth a punt at €24

(link not working, you've to be logged in)

They're somewhat of a pain alright - you need to give them your email address before they'll let you see anything. I'll also come clean and say I haven't bought anything from them personally, I've been tempted on several occasions, but I've been on a bit of a Galibier binge over the past few months, so decided to behave.

Re the Altura stuff - it could well be worth a punt. One of my favourite pairs of shorts is from Altura which I picked up from Halfords a few years ago for I think €5 (that's not a mistype). I hadn't been expecting much from them but they turned out to be "just right" and got worn on 5-6 hour+ spins. I've also got a few Altura long sleeve jerseys and they're grand

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Looking to grab another gilet for the summer something light as most of the ones I have are heavy for this time of year.

I have this Endura Hummvee Gilet - black | BIKE24 and its grand does the job perfectly so looking for something similar.

Got one from Siroko delivery was really quick but the gilet itself was tiny. I sized up got a large but it was far to short and way to fitted plus the materiel was wafer thin cant imagine it would last very long. Anyway still looking for one somewhere preferably dark and wont break the bank. Any ideas? Cant find anything decent in a Medium or Large anywhere.

Post edited by How Soon Is Now on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

Galibier do a Vent Ultra , have one, very light and packable (very) and it’s survived stuffing into my pockets over the last 4 yrs

Advertisement