Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

So if someone is cycling along the road, they're not going along the prom? Yeah, right.

Jesus wept :rolleyes:

promenade
    noun [ C ]
    UK /ˌprɒm.əˈnɑːd/ US /ˌprɑː.məˈneɪd/
    (informal prom)

a path for walking on, especially one built next to the sea:

We strolled along on the promenade eating ice creams.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok folks, bring it back up. Too much quarrelling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

Disappointingly busy when I was cycling past today (work related). I don't like how Coco are exacerbating the situation by still serving takeaway coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

topcat77 wrote: »
    Disappointingly busy when I was cycling past today (work related). I don't like how Coco are exacerbating the situation by still serving takeaway coffee.

Drove by it today at around 3 or 4 and I was happy to see it was very quiet.... obviously wasn't so all day.
    A queue of people alright around Coco. They were closed I thought but back open again by the looks of it. Can't see how coffee is essential but there ya go. Personally I'll be doing a Da Roberta's on them too now. Won't be in there again after this all.blows over.

Drove by it today at around 3 or 4 and I was happy to see it was very quiet.... obviously wasn't so all day.
    A queue of people alright around Coco. They were closed I thought but back open again by the looks of it. Can't see how coffee is essential but there ya go. Personally I'll be doing a Da Roberta's on them too now. Won't be in there again after this all.blows over.

I wouldn’t have any issue with a place opening for take away coffee, plenty of people still out and about for work/essential reasons. and need places open. Wouldn’t see it as any different to any takeaway food place being open.

I’ve a family member who is a health care worker (in the community) and they appreciate being able to pick up coffees during the day etc.

Solving people walking the prom is easy, guards or army just need to patrol it hand out large fines/night in a cell for a few people to make an example and people will stop when the word gets out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is the Centra around the corner still open? Are they serving coffee? What's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Is the Centra around the corner still open? Are they serving coffee? What's the difference?

They certainly are open and serving coffee and tea and deli food, the Government never said they were closing takeaways just sit down restaurants can't understand why Supermacs and Mc Donalds closed their takeaways surprised at the fuss about Coco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Storm 10 wrote: »
    surprised at the fuss about Coco

If its unnecessarily causing people to crowd at the store and bringing people to the prom then it's an issue. It's not an essential service by any means so if it's helping to spread the virus then it should be closed.

If on the other hand they have found a way to avoid crowds gathering then brilliant but people should be avoiding these types of places for their own good.

As for centra around the corner, yes it sells coffee but also sells a range of essential foods and house hold goods so no comparison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

If its unnecessarily causing people to crowd at the store and bringing people to the prom then it's an issue. It's not an essential service by any means so if it's helping to spread the virus then it should be closed.

If on the other hand they have found a way to avoid crowds gathering then brilliant but people should be avoiding these types of places for their own good.

As for centra around the corner, yes it sells coffee but also sells a range of essential foods and house hold goods so no comparison.

Have you gone down to look at the coffee shop?

Have you gone down to look at the coffee shop?

Its outside my 2km radius so that would be a no, why do you ask?

• Advertisement

I have been there and only one person at a time let in and the rest are staying well apart as per advice so no issue with crowding

I’m not a fan of coco and the owners ethics but I passed there today (legitimate reason) small que and organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I’m not a fan of coco and the owners ethics

Whats that all about?

Whats that all about?

Hes not exactly a essential service, definitely bending the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Hes not exactly a essential service, definitely bending the rules

Do they not sell food anymore?

Why is tea/coffee not essential but an off licence is? Jaysus Ireland!

inisboffin wrote: »
    Do they not sell food anymore?

Why is tea/coffee not essential but an off licence is? Jaysus Ireland!

Funny how coco on shop street & liosbaun is closed but the one in salthill is open

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

They certainly are open and serving coffee and tea and deli food, the Government never said they were closing takeaways just sit down restaurants can't understand why Supermacs and Mc Donalds closed their takeaways surprised at the fuss about Coco

Can Supermac's and McDonald's operate with a skeleton crew and practicing social distancing? Maybe it's for the safety of their staff.

I saw the posts about supporting the local takeaways so made a point to. Interestingly, the Chinese restaurant here is closed. Supermac's is closed. The two chippers are open. one of them is playing it well. Only allowing 3 people in at any one time. They have tables up in front of the counter to force people back. They ask you to put the payment on a plate and step back. They also have the plexi glass up. I can see how that lowers the risk.

The flip side, there's a chipper that also has the plexi glass but it doesn't cover the whole area. They aren't limiting the people who can come in and there's no way to space enough between yourself and other people who come in without going too close to the counter and being close to the staff. They take the payment around the side of the plexi and there's very little space behind the counter so the staff are right on top of each other. It's harsh but I won't be supporting that one in future while this is going on, not worth the risk.

Some of the takeaways that are open probably shouldn't be.

Funny how coco on shop street & liosbaun is closed but the one in salthill is open

I assume they don't have the one open in business areas as there are no businesses open there, or few, but the one near residential areas is open. Maybe I am misunderstanding your objection? I was making the rather tongue in cheek point that if we can't allow a cafe or chipper to do take away why do we allow an off licence? Offie's barely sell much food, I assume the cafes sell more.

I assume they don't have the one open in business areas as there are no businesses open there, or few, but the one near residential areas is open. Maybe I am misunderstanding your objection? I was making the rather tongue in cheek point that if we can't allow a cafe or chipper to do take away why do we allow an off licence? Offie's barely sell much food, I assume the cafes sell more.

The simple reason to stop alcoholics stuck at home from going mental and their partners.

The simple reason to stop alcoholics stuck at home from going mental and their partners.

You can only be joking right? If you're not it's a bit scary. One could surely argue going down to get a cup of tea at Coco and walking home with it would also give you the hour break from said alcoholic partner?

Wow.

And I never mentioned banning alcohol. That's still for sale in shops that sell food. Just like hot tea is.

• Advertisement

You can only be joking right? If you're not it's a bit scary. One could surely argue going down to get a cup of tea at Coco and walking home with it would also give you the hour break from said alcoholic partner?

Wow.

And I never mentioned banning alcohol. That's still for sale in shops that sell food. Just like hot tea is.

When this is all over do yourself a favour and spend sometime with a domestic violence group. It’ll open your eyes and educate you. You’ll instantly stop using phrases like “one could surely argue”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Anyone notice the European flags flying from the lamp posts along the section of the prom from Seapoint to the junction with Grattan road? are they new? I don't remember seeing them earlier in the week (I could be wrong).

They look nice and everything but I wonder what could have prompted a group to come out and hang them at this particular time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you mean EU flags?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I would have said EU but I am sure I saw the Norwegian flag in there, somewhere down near the carpark opposite the cinema :)

When this is all over do yourself a favour and spend sometime with a domestic violence group. It’ll open your eyes and educate you. You’ll instantly stop using phrases like “one could surely argue”

Wow. You have no idea of my experience. And I can say for your example, you are wrong about use of the English language in this instance.
    I've stopped saying rule of thumb though.

When I asked you why were you objecting to a take away tea shop any more than an off licence as an essential service, you brought in the odd as hell argument that having access to even MORE booze was somehow helping those with alcoholic partners.

Just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Supply and demand: In the Shop St area, McCambridges and Le Petit Delice are open. (fwiw, Both are doing an excellent job of spacing the queues and ensuring that people are keeping distances. Neither is encouraging people out: inner city residents typically have smaller-than-average dwellings and some outdoor exercise is more essential than in the suburbs. And there are a number of essential-industry staff around too.)

I can't speak about Liosbaun, it's outside my 2km.

A portaloo has appeared in Upper Abbeygate St. No idea who put it there, but we're guessing perhaps it's for the cable-layers who have been working in the area, or perhaps council workers.

The small coffee and tea shop beside the Omniplex on the headford road is also open doing a nice trade when I passed this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The small coffee and tea shop beside the Omniplex on the headford road is also open doing a nice trade when I passed this morning

Always a queue anytime i pass

How the he'll did we get from the prom to coffee shops and alcohol in this thread

• Advertisement

How the he'll did we get from the prom to coffee shops and alcohol in this thread

Coco is in the prom so not hard to figure that out really...

Advertisement