Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC Questions for Newbies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Axwell wrote: »
    You mean the vaseline before they walk in? To stop fighters getting cuts - helps the gloves glide across their eyebrows and stop friction against the hair on their eyebrows where it would cut easily..same with the skin on their face.

Makes sense I guess. I just thought there's two guys going in to beat the hell out of each other why would they care but I guess the last thing they want is for a fight to be stopped coz of a cut.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

They want to punch each other but neither wants to get a cut that could end the fight for them. Also bad cuts tend to never really heal and just build up scar tissue which then means they open very easy when they take a few hits in that weakened area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eoinred

i always thought that the vasaline was for the sweat that drips from their head to keep it out of there eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

eoinred wrote: »
    i always thought that the vasaline was for the sweat that drips from their head to keep it out of there eyes
    That's what eyebrows are for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

In the first episode of embedded we see Conor getting punched in the stomach by Roddy.

Is this proven to improve conditioning? He's not the first fighter I've seen getting hit in the abs (I think it's featured a bit in embedded but is usually a medicine ball?) but it always struck me as odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,239 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

MagicIRL wrote: »
    In the first episode of embedded we see Conor getting punched in the stomach by Roddy.

Is this proven to improve conditioning? He's not the first fighter I've seen getting hit in the abs (I think it's featured a bit in embedded but is usually a medicine ball?) but it always struck me as odd.

Increasing pain barrier in a sensitive spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Unless its a 'liver kick' no guarding against a liver kick!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,923 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

callaway92 wrote: »
    Increasing pain barrier in a sensitive spot.
    It's to improve core bracing not pain barrier. The muscles in your core, when braced, act to protect your internal organs. Think of the difference between getting caught off guard with a punch to the stomach or bracing for it beforehand.

When he was being punched Conor was holding a hollow body position. It's not that the punches strengthen his core, but that he keeps a strong core while being punched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭nomadchocolate

Totally naive toward Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

In a standard armbar what prevents the victim from rolling toward his opponent? Is it the legs across the chest/neck that pins them down?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hendo11

In a word Yes,

If you curios about the sport go onto youtube look up some basic stuff like armbars,triangles and kimura's,

You might decide to give it a try couldnt reccomend it enough to anybody even thinking of trying it the once you'll be hooked and then your interest in the armbar turns into interest in Berimbolo's,Baroplatas and such.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭nomadchocolate

hendo11 wrote: »
    In a word Yes,

If you curios about the sport go onto youtube look up some basic stuff like armbars,triangles and kimura's,

You might decide to give it a try couldnt reccomend it enough to anybody even thinking of trying it the once you'll be hooked and then your interest in the armbar turns into interest in Berimbolo's,Baroplatas and such.

I would love to try it but have the flexibility of a statue.

I watched an Eddie Bravo Invitational on fight pass once and the competitors were like elastic.

Do you practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hendo11

The guys on EBI are professionals,not really a representation of the Jiu Jitsu you'd be learning here,

Yeah I train a few years now and its one of the best things ive done in life tbh,4 times a week for 2 hours I train and its like a form of therapy while learning cool skills until you try it you'll never know,its cliche but when your training it you gotta be in the moment soon as you step on the mat lifes problems go out the window,

Thats enough of the hard sell lol never mind your level of fitness or flexibility its 100% no problem there is people in my club nearly 50 year old out of shape businesmen taximen you name it you'll meet every demographic in clubs,no morons whatsoever either,

Just do it!

In a standard armbar what prevents the victim from rolling toward his opponent? Is it the legs across the chest/neck that pins them down?

Roll towards him, as in just roll up and get on top.

In that case, it's sort of the being pinned, but more that the legs are physically in the way. If you flip them over, with both guys facing the ground the armbar still works the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

In a closed-guard armbar, the attacker has one leg across the back of the opponents neck and the other across their upper back. The attacker, drives their heels towards the ground/mat, which create a ton of pressure on the opponent and prevents them from posturing up/lifting out of the armbar.

Failure to do this allows the opponent to regain their posture and stack the attacker (think of squishing the attackers legs towards their face) thus preventing the armbar (because to armbar an opponent you need to hyper-extend their arm/elbow which requires space to do so) and eventually having their entire guard passed.

Jiujitsu is, in my brief blue-belt experience, about controlling posture, applying pressure and opening up possibilities to escape/attack. You don't need any sort of flexibility to train jiujitsu. I can't even touch my toes if I bend over when standing or sitting. Everything is designed so that technique will prevail over strength. When you train at any level, especially professional like those you see in EBI, you naturally develop flexibility from being in the same positions every day in the gym. (Just like how Yoga gradually improves your flexibility over time.)

I am not strong, I'm not fast and I'm not flexible, but I have never found (In 2+ years training) a technique that I have been unable to practice or learn because I lack any of those traits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Get stuck in.

I'm 37, high on fat and low on flexibility and I've been training about 18 months.

Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

As above flexibility helps, as with most sports, but it's not needed. There are endless styles to play. Find the one that suits you.
    But that said, flexibility will improve, especially if you work on it directly.
    I wasn't very flexible when I started. I believe at the time that was why I was getting stuck in certain spots (it wasn't). But I put in the work and a while ago I managed this. Not finished yet, but happy with progress

http://imgur.com/vD02KBj

Also, I know BJJ is an integral part of MMA.
    But there's a dedicated BJJ thread on the Martial arts forum that doesn't benefit from the same traffic as here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057558818&page=12

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tom12340

Hi I have a question which could be stupid, I was thinkng of joining my local mma club but the only thing stopping me is I am worried about whether I have a suitable body type, pretty much if I should bulk up before going. I am currently 6"2 and 140 pounds. Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Tom12340 wrote: »
    Hi I have a question which could be stupid, I was thinkng of joining my local mma club but the only thing stopping me is I am worried about whether I have a suitable body type, pretty much if I should bulk up before going. I am currently 6"2 and 140 pounds. Thanks.

No,go and join tomorrow every club is full of all different shapes sizes men women kids all levels of fitness all different reasons for training,just go and join asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tom12340

Thanks for the quick reply.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the quick reply.

There is probably a begginers class tonight even if your lucky,the quicker you start the quicker you reap the benefits physically and mentally from learning martial arts,give it a go anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Imagine the reach advantage if you can cut to 135!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Depp wrote: »
    Imagine the reach advantage if you can cut to 135!

Or even 145

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I have been training about 10 years and I cannot tell the amount of times I have heard people saying they want to start but want to loose/gain/change X, Y or Z first, and end up not starting or delaying for years.

Its often "get fitter", "loose weight", "gain some muscle", "sort out my diet" first etc.

My advice is just go.

Everything else will come in time, there is absolutely no substitute than actually just signing up and going to classes. There are no right or wrong body types, you will adapt your style to fit our body over time, and your body type will likely change also.

Good advice above.

When I started I was 5'11" and 260lbs. Had plenty of excuses myself not to go, but I bit the bullet and started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Marty is absolutely spot on.

I started last year extremely unfit and looking pregnant (male)

While my fitness isn't Diaz levels it has come on immensely, it's also very enjoyable. Much more so than staring at yourself lifting weights I find. Weight also comes off regardless. I just need to sort my diet to get rid of more, I like food too much though so that might take a while ha.

GF's brother wants to get into it as well but he's using the get fitter excuses as well so I keep trying to tell him if I can manage it, he should have no problem (younger, not pregnant looking)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭conroym7

Hi All,

Just a quick question regarding BJJ clubs in Dublin.

I've been interested in BJJ for a while now and always said id love to to join and train. I bite the bullet this week and went for an intro class at a club in Dublin city centre. Was an hour long class covering the basic movments etc. Really enjoyed it.

At the end of the class i was asking about the membership fees and couldn't get over the cost, €70 a month for morning only classes. Is this the usual rate in Dublin? Why is it so expensive?

Not sure if this is right thread but seen people above discussing starting BJJ.

conroym7 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've been interested in BJJ for a while now and always said id love to to join and train. I bite the bullet this week and went for an intro class at a club in Dublin city centre. Was an hour long class covering the basic movments etc. Really enjoyed it.

At the end of the class i was asking about the membership fees and couldn't get over the cost, €70 a month for morning only classes. Is this the usual rate in Dublin? Why is it so expensive?

Not sure if this is right thread but seen people above discussing starting BJJ.

Yeah thats probably middle to slightly high ish range,how many morning classes is there?

My Gym is 60e a month all in every class Mon Wed Fri and anything extra open mat ect covered,you get what you pay for you might find some dump charging 30 or 40 a month but you will suffer,look around for the best gym for you that includes a Good coach,location,cleanliness of the gym and mats (very important) time tables ect and pick one.

Thank goodness I don't live in Dublin.

I pay £32 a month for as many classes as I want. BJJ, Judo, MMA and WJJF.

Only train BJJ though. But still good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Not sure if this is right thread but seen people above discussing starting BJJ

Well lets think about it for a minute. Say there are morning classes 5 days a week and you go to 3. That is 12/13 classes a month for 70 euro Between 5.30/5.80 a class.

If you were to go 5 days a week that drops to under 3.20 a class.

That is 3.20 for an hour, being trained by someone who has spent years of their lives (decades for higher belts) gaining skill to pass on to you. Not to mention the cost of the matted area which is incredibly high, rent, insurance and other running costs.

How much do you think it should cost?

Personally I think that is more than a fair price. I am often surprised people complain about the price of a month of membership in a gym. If you put the time in it is a great return for your money and hours and hours entertainment, not to mention other physical,mental and social benefits.

Lots people drop 70-100 on a night out and do not think twice about it

Advertisement