Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Incorrect lyrics for Green fields of France.

Options
  • 18-06-2021 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

It amazes me why so many people use the incorrect lyrics for this line in the song. Most people seem to sing ...

"The countless white crosses stand mute in the sand"

The next line "To man's blind indifference to his fellow man" makes no sense when preceded by that previous line. Also the song is entitled Green fields of france and there is no sand there, just green fields.

Where as the correct lyrics are

"The countless white crosses in mute witness stand"

What do they stand in witness to ..... ?

To man's blind indifference to his fellow man

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Dexpat

Well if your looking at it like that, the original song isn't even called 'The Green Fields of France.

It was written by the Scottish/Australian singer-songwriter Eric Bogle and is called 'No Mans Land'. I think that version had the original lyrics you mentioned.

The version we know obviously is the Fureys version and I presume they changed the song title and a few of the words. I woun't have any problem with that. Interpreting older songs keeps them alive. The song is much more widely know after the Fureys covered it.

As an aside, Eric bogle also wrote Leaving Nancy which was also taken up by the Fureys. It's about the last time he ever saw his mother when he was emigrating to Australia.

Advertisement