Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trusting Opticians

• 23-06-2018 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

I went to a nationwide opticians last year for an eye test as I was beginning to have difficulty seeing the date on my watch, got the eye test and it came out at something like 0.5mm (I think) in one eye. The optician was a little pushy and brought me straight over to glasses around €150 range, I felt that maybe I didn't need glasses yet and said I would think about it, I asked her for my results which she wouldn't give, said they don't do that (I spotted it on one of the sheets). I came home and googled my result and it was the minimal requirement for glasses so I left it, couldn't really afford it anyway.

I got a free appointment voucher for the same opticians in a magazine last week, so I have made an appointment next week to get another test. I am also entitled to the new PRSI scheme, so I am thinking of using the PRSI in my local opticians to see how they fare out against the large chain - am I just paranoid or should I trust their results?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

mockingjay wrote: »
    I went to a nationwide opticians last year for an eye test as I was beginning to have difficulty seeing the date on my watch, got the eye test and it came out at something like 0.5mm (I think) in one eye. The optician was a little pushy and brought me straight over to glasses around €150 range, I felt that maybe I didn't need glasses yet and said I would think about it, I asked her for my results which she wouldn't give, said they don't do that (I spotted it on one of the sheets). I came home and googled my result and it was the minimal requirement for glasses so I left it, couldn't really afford it anyway.

I got a free appointment voucher for the same opticians in a magazine last week, so I have made an appointment next week to get another test. I am also entitled to the new PRSI scheme, so I am thinking of using the PRSI in my local opticians to see how they fare out against the large chain - am I just paranoid or should I trust their results?

*Disclaimer- I am an optometrist who works in both big chains and smaller opticians*
    No matter where I am working I will tend to say to people that if the problem is big enough that it prompted them to get an eye test and my results are improving their vision then glasses will help. Some people are more affected by small prescriptions than others. I have seen people who say the smallest strength has helped them hugely and I've also seen people who need twice or three times that strength manage perfectly well without glasses.

You are legally entitled to a copy of your prescription.
    Also, most of those free vouchers say it cannot be used if you are entitled to PRSI scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

Daisies wrote: »
    *Disclaimer- I am an optometrist who works in both big chains and smaller opticians*
    No matter where I am working I will tend to say to people that if the problem is big enough that it prompted them to get an eye test and my results are improving their vision then glasses will help. Some people are more affected by small prescriptions than others. I have seen people who say the smallest strength has helped them hugely and I've also seen people who need twice or three times that strength manage perfectly well without glasses.

Also, most of those free vouchers say it cannot be used if you are entitled to PRSI scheme

Thank you for your reply. Just wondering how would they know if I was entitled to PRSI, could I not just go in, get the test & say I’m a stay at home mum? TIA

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Thank you for your reply. Just wondering how would they know if I was entitled to PRSI, could I not just go in, get the test & say I’m a stay at home mum? TIA

They won't be they will probably ask to check your number because you could be covered by your spouse's stamps

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I just booked a test online and I had to give my PPS number, so it can be checked using that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Maybe a daft question but does eyesight get worse with time?

I wear glasses and get eye tests every 2 years and every time I have to get my lens replaced - always an expensive trip.

• Advertisement

marvin80 wrote: »
    Maybe a daft question but does eyesight get worse with time?

I wear glasses and get eye tests every 2 years and every time I have to get my lens replaced - always an expensive trip.
    the last time i got mine tested it had been 4 years since the previous. He said the the prescription had hardly changed at all. I couls still see fine but they fell and the lens broke. I just got test as i had to replace

I was talking to someone who was in Specsavers last week. They were immediately pushed the 129 euro range. when they enquired about the 89 euro range the staff member said they would not be as sturdy and gave impression they were inferior but surely anything on sale must be up to a reasonable standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Daisies wrote: »

I use glasses for driving and (sometimes) watching TV. I also have reading glasses, but rarely use them.

The level of sales tactics in that industry is outrageous. Every single time I get my eyes tested the salesperson tries to get me to buy new varifocal lenses. Invariably they are VERY pushy. I have discussed this with two opticians. They are perfectly fine with separate lenses as the reading correction is slight.
    As for getting a copy of the prescription, you can get it for SpecSavers online, as a GDPR request. (I left them over €700 and they still refused to give it to be. They lost both of us as customers.)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

SoulWriter wrote: »
    I was talking to someone who was in Specsavers last week. They were immediately pushed the 129 euro range. when they enquired about the 89 euro range the staff member said they would not be as sturdy and gave impression they were inferior but surely anything on sale must be up to a reasonable standard.

I bought a pair of £29 glasses, they were perfectly fine.

Then got 2 more pairs online for £25, and again fine.
    Of course a £100 frame might have been better quality, but I'm not too bothered about my glasses, they are only functional for me.

On the subject of trusting opticians, I got my eyes tested in August, and was delighted when optician told me my prescription had nearly halved, and I'd probably be back to no glasses needed for distance in the next 5 years.

I went and got some glasses online using his prescription. They didn't work for me, and I put it down to cheap quality glasses, as it was the first time I had ordered online.
    I later went to another optician in the North and got re-done. The prescription was similar to my original, but very slightly better, so the original test was either completely wrong or else the person in the office copied someone elses details into the card she handed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

I went an got glasses about 6 months ago as I couldn't read the small print on items. Got the glasses and within a month I couldn't see the football scores on the tv properly. Might be coincidence but I feel my sight has got worse since the glasses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Sounds like you might want to go elsewhere for your glasses? I've never had an issue with Specsavers being pushy. I'm not fussed with glasses so avoid all the €200+ glasses. Majority of my glasses are €80-120. Only reason I spent €120 on my most recent pair was because they had the flexible arms and I have a big head. Plus I got a pair of prescription sunglasses free and the eyetest was covered by PRSI so can't really complain.

Someone who got glasses in specsavers told me they got the PD wrong. i think but i'm not sure, that all the dispensers are not actually dispensing opticians,just general floor staff. Does anyone know.?

Specsavers did sort it out in fairness and gave them a retest and new glasses but it is very poor if someone cannot measure a PD properly.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I bought a pair of £29 glasses, they were perfectly fine.

Then got 2 more pairs online for £25, and again fine.
    Of course a £100 frame might have been better quality, but I'm not too bothered about my glasses, they are only functional for me.

On the subject of trusting opticians, I got my eyes tested in August, and was delighted when optician told me my prescription had nearly halved, and I'd probably be back to no glasses needed for distance in the next 5 years.

I went and got some glasses online using his prescription. They didn't work for me, and I put it down to cheap quality glasses, as it was the first time I had ordered online.
    I later went to another optician in the North and got re-done. The prescription was similar to my original, but very slightly better, so the original test was either completely wrong or else the person in the office copied someone elses details into the card she handed me.
    where did you get the two more pairs online for £25? I understand they were OK

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I work for a large chain, in our store we are told not to hard sell, thankfully. It depends on the director of the store though - I've heard some are really awful for it, especially in the UK branches.

But just to warn you OP, an independent opticians is not going to be cheaper. They are always more. If you have PRSI and only need glasses for reading there are Free glasses under PRSI in the large chains - they are in the 69 euro range. Just go in and say you want the free ones as you aren't sure you really need them or will use them (you shouldn't even have to explain but just make it clear you arent gonna spend FA and any huckster type boyo will want to just give you the free yokes and move you along so he can hard sell the next person.

TAnyone saying the cheaper ones are less sturdy is lying. They are sometimes less comfortable due to lack of spring hinge, and the spring hinge also helps protect against the arms splaying out, but not even all the high end (price) ones have spring hinges. The frames are all made by the same suppliers , anduunlessthey're titanium, similar materials.

Edit: when I say cheaper I mean the cheaper ones like 69 euro or 89 euro vs 149 or 189 euro. Not the 25 euro ones you get from some chinese website they will be pretty dodge

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Those £25 frames they get of aliepxress for 1-5 usd
    https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20210622171124&SearchText=glasses+frames

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

From Goggles4u.co.uk, with a 50% voucher code.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Tried SpecSavers once - never go back again - very hard sales push for the most expensive glasses they can get you to buy with all the add-ons, asked for prescription and walked
    Prior to them had always used the guys on Talbot St - went back to them. Cheap enough and tbh I don't really care about designer frames

Also tried the online places - terrible quality. Wrong prescriptions in the lenses (as in one was stronger than it should have been and the other could barely see out of), distorted frames and so on, they tried to remedy it and the replacements were just as bad. They use the cheapest lenses you can get to offer the low prices

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sooooo
    You were having difficulty reading something you could read before.

Went to a professional who said yes, you could benefit from glasses.

And then decided they were trying to stitch you up by saying you needed glasses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

_Brian wrote: »
    Sooooo
    You were having difficulty reading something you could read before.

Went to a professional who said yes, you could benefit from glasses.

And then decided they were trying to stitch you up by saying you needed glasses ?

Two year old thread but...point he was making was they were doing an hard sell and refusing to give him his prescription which was very wrong

Advertisement