Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clothing 101- recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Looking for a pair of bib shorts, narrowed down to the following.. any advice / preference to what I should go for? I’m a casual cyclist, mostly two hour cycles.. I don’t want anything too light - would like some warmth so I can wear into autumn..

Endura FS260
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-fs260-pro-bib-shorts-1
    Galibier Classique
    https://www.galibier.cc/product/classiqueshorts/
    Dub Aeron
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-bib-shorts-1

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

emclau wrote: »
    Looking for a pair of bib shorts, narrowed down to the following.. any advice / preference to what I should go for? I’m a casual cyclist, mostly two hour cycles.. I don’t want anything too light - would like some warmth so I can wear into autumn..

Endura FS260
    Galibier Classique
    Dub Aeron

Thanks

Cost a bit more but some rave about Castelli bib shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

emclau wrote: »

Endura FS260
    Galibier Classique
    Dub Aeron

Thanks
    The Enduras are excellent. Really good pad. Their service department are top.

Also tried the DHB. Good fit. Pad isn’t as good as the Endura. As Stated, the Castelli are very good but tend to be pricier. Fit is very racy too. Size one up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

If you're spending that type of money I can highly recommend the Galibier Regale.
    Size up one (says it in the description)

It's the only Galibier pair I have. They're a great pair of bibs.
    Anyone got the peleton? I need a pair of bibs. All the good weather had me on a very reserve pair today.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Cost a bit more but some rave about Castelli bib shorts.

I’m doing the Castelli Easter challenge on Strava so might treat myself! Any particular model you recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

I am looking for new bibs. For 3-4 hr rides. I see a similar question in clothing 101 so i will follow that too. Budget in around €100-150. Most of my current bibs are aldi/lidl and spin 11.

Also looking decent stiffish spd shoes. I use Shimano mt34 but would like more of a road style shoe but with spd cleats. I am liking Sidi but they are quite expensive. Budget around €150 ish also, maybe a bit more. I am size 43 in a runner, Size 44 in Shimano.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

+1 on the Endura FS260, they are my go to bibs. Better fit for me than the Castelli Endurance bibs (L). The pad is good for long hours in the saddle.

size wise how are they. Im 72 kg 5'9 . 32" waist.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

i'd highly recommend the Castelli Entrata bib shorts. I've picked up three pairs recently. About 90 odd euro on Mantel with free shipping ATM.

lochdara wrote: »
    size wise how are they. Im 72 kg 5'9 . 32" waist.?

I find the size charts accurate for me, it suggests L and indeed that is the right size. For Castelli I'm XL, for my club gear I'm XXL. Based on what you listed above it looks like an S for you. Here's a link to the size chart.
    https://www.endurasport.com/support/sizing/

• Advertisement

Yeah I seen that. I am kind of bordering. A few reviews of 80kg go for medium. I have large thighs. I might go with the medium. I can send them back i think

I just checked my lbs and they have them at the same price as everyone else so I'll go in there. Now to find decent spd shoes. I need spf 50+ arm covers so I'll pick them up while I'm in. I got a scar on my arm that was treated this year and I was advised sunscreen every hour or base layer.

Yeah I seen that. I am kind of bordering. A few reviews of 80kg go for medium. I have large thighs. I might go with the medium. I can send them back i think

So I went into my lbs and tried on small endura bibs. I couldn't get them past my knees. Medium were perfect. My legs are not in proportion to my arms. Fat thighs, skinny arms. Lbs was same price as crc and wiggle. They only just came in stock that day so I was lucky.

So I went into my lbs and tried on small endura bibs. I couldn't get them past my knees. Medium were perfect. My legs are not in proportion to my arms. Fat thighs, skinny arms. Lbs was same price as crc and wiggle. They only just came in stock that day so I was lucky.

Contact the company and ask them. Possibly buy 2 sizes & return 1 if unsure.

Hi, can you please share name of the bike shop? Might buy from them if they can post.. thanks!

Cycle Superstore stock Endura. If you are a CI member there is a 12.5% discount and free postage countrywide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Got bibs from lecol.cc there - they are pricey, but there is always a discount on strava (usually 50 off spending over a hundred).

Quality is decent, leg grippers are great on pro ones, but I think they are sized a little big. I'm between sizes and think I could have gotten away with medium (Im over 6 foot and not exactly skinny @ 85kgs / 33inch waist).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

lissard wrote: »
    Cycle Superstore stock Endura. If you are a CI member there is a 12.5% discount and free postage countrywide.

They're pretty skinny on stock at the minute, in Endura anyway. I went there over the weekend and came away with two new bibs - a pair of Look shorts, size medium, from their clearance section - there's another pair left if anyone looking for that size - they were 91 euro, reduced from 135. And then, after trying on a pair of Assos, I caved and bought them too. They were 130 quid, which really isn't bad in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't justify their 290 euro offerings but the "cheapo" pair I bought seem very very nice. Wait to see what they're like on the road now, but tbh in all my years of cycling I've found that.... shorts are shorts. :pac:

fat bloke wrote: »
    Assos .... shorts are shorts. :pac:
    If you believe the hype, they make the nether regions practically dance and sing :). The Kuku Penthouse always gives me a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭AhhHere

Is wiggle reputable in post brexit times or should I look for an EU alternative?

• Advertisement

Thebikeshop.ie in wexford . They post

Hi,

I have a Helly Hansen short sleeve base layer, a Galibier long sleeve 'Barrier Base Layer' for winter so looking for a long sleeve base layer for in between summer and winter/cold.

An obvious choice is Galibier ECHELON long sleeve base layer but any others to consider (e.g. Helly Hansen, Under Armour).

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I found some of the decathlon baselayers suitable for the in between temperatures you mention.

Although labelled as a football baselayer, the one linked below does the job. I find the thumb loops useful others find them an annoyance
    https://www.decathlon.ie/en/men-s-underwears/195072-84028-keepdry-500-adult-base-layer-khaki.html#/demodelsize-200xl/demodelcolor-967766?queryID=e5af158983580de695aada6461866886&objectID=4096897

keepdry-500-adult-base-layer-khaki.jpg?&f=800x800

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

They're pretty skinny on stock at the minute, in Endura anyway. I went there over the weekend and came away with two new bibs - a pair of Look shorts, size medium, from their clearance section - there's another pair left if anyone looking for that size - they were 91 euro, reduced from 135. And then, after trying on a pair of Assos, I caved and bought them too. They were 130 quid, which really isn't bad in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't justify their 290 euro offerings but the "cheapo" pair I bought seem very very nice. Wait to see what they're like on the road now, but tbh in all my years of cycling I've found that.... shorts are shorts. :pac:

Did CSS give any indication on a restock of Endura shorts by any chance. I am looking for the SL bibs with varying size pads (they have Large but I think I need medium pad based on the calculator.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Luxman wrote: »
    Did CSS give any indication on a restock of Endura shorts by any chance. I am looking for the SL bibs with varying size pads (they have Large but I think I need medium pad based on the calculator.)

I didn't ask.

Bought a pair of these and they arrived really quickly - almost next day and though I haven't worn them yet they look great.

https://www.galibier.cc/product/equipe/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I didn't ask.

Bought a pair of these and they arrived really quickly - almost next day and though I haven't worn them yet they look great.

Just to add.
    I bought a pair of the peleton bibs last month.
    Great shorts.
    Thought the chamois was a bit thick on first spin.
    Settled down nicely after spin and a wash.
    Love the fact I can order longer leg on them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I didn't ask.

For me those shorts are the best Galibier have, it’s just a pity they only come with the red colouring. A plain black option would be ideal for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

dahat wrote: »
    For me those shorts are the best Galibier have, it’s just a pity they only come with the red colouring. A plain black option would be ideal for me.
    I didn't get on with the 3/4 lengths on the gravel bike at the weekend, after having been fine on the road with both these and the short version. Different saddle/ cycling obviously but my first comfort issues with any short not to mind Galibier!

I still just about prefer the Energie Elite for comfort over the equipe.

Anyone have the cargo shorts? Planning a long one at the weekend, and running out of pockets!

Is Alltricks and Deporvillage reputable. I am looking for a pair of Sidi spd for my road bike and they seem to have the best price. Within Ireland price is either very high or not in my size. Local bike shop doesnt do them either. They have to invest a lot to get that brand in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

Is Alltricks and Deporvillage reputable. I am looking for a pair of Sidi spd for my road bike and they seem to have the best price. Within Ireland price is either very high or not in my size. Local bike shop doesnt do them either. They have to invest a lot to get that brand in.

Have used both. Alltricks is decathlon basically.

Deporvillage I've heard can sometimes be a bit slow, and they're not great at responding to queries. But still a legit site.

Advertisement