Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy Holohan left Sin Fein

• 20-03-2021 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

So looks like Paddy got in trouble again for giving supportive comments to a business opening despite lockdown restrictions and has stepped down from Sinn Fein.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40247663.html

It's so weird seeing so much backlash and insulting comments online and on social media about this, because Paddy is actually such as nice guy who really does do his best for his community and has done so much to help the homeless.

Does anyone else feel like the MMA community is really looked down upon now by a lot of Irish Society since McGregors fall from grace?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I don't think it's anything to do with him being looked down on because he's involved in MMA.

He was elected in his constituency as a salt-of-the-earth type. Rode the Sinn Fein wave and campaigned on low hanging fruit stuff. Homelessness, perceived Govt corruption etc. Grand!

But since then he's shown extreme naivety in things he has said. He's in politics, you have to watch your Ps & Qs. Saying what he said about Leo V, the stuff about him not being a "family man" and "his blood being in India". That might be all well and good sitting in the pub, but he should have realised how these words could be perceived or twisted by political opponents. Also, they are just dumb things to say.

Then he said a few things about young girls extorting money from men....... just leave it Paddy. You're not in the pub. So naive not to think this stuff will be picked up on.

But two weeks ago he was on social media trying to drum up support for a woman who had opened up her salon against Covid restrictions and been arrested, which is another extremely naive and, again, dumb thing to do.

These things are not conducive with the policies of the party and they are understandably uncomfortable.

Paddy's an extremely nice bloke and he means well. But he's just not cut out for politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I don't think it's anything to do with him being looked down on because he's involved in MMA.

He was elected in his constituency as a salt-of-the-earth type. Rode the Sinn Fein wave and campaigned on low hanging fruit stuff. Homelessness, perceived Govt corruption etc. Grand!

But since then he's shown extreme naivety in things he has said. He's in politics, you have to watch your Ps & Qs. Saying what he said about Leo V, the stuff about him not being a "family man" and "his blood being in India". That might be all well and good sitting in the pub, but he should have realised how these words could be perceived or twisted by political opponents. Also, they are just dumb things to say.

Then he said a few things about young girls extorting money from men....... just leave it Paddy. You're not in the pub. So naive not to think this stuff will be picked up on.

But two weeks ago he was on social media trying to drum up support for a woman who had opened up her salon against Covid restrictions and been arrested, which is another extremely naive and, again, dumb thing to do.

These things are not conducive with the policies of the party and they are understandably uncomfortable.

Paddy's an extremely nice bloke and he means well. But he's just not cut out for politics.

I don't want to get into the rights and wrongs of what he said as has been discussed a million times (I disagree with so many of his high profile comments) but its naive to suggest their is nobody out their who doesn't share some of his views sadly.

Could do well running as an independent candidate , I'd hope he go nowhere near the national party etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Rjd2 wrote: »
    its naive to suggest their is nobody out their who doesn't share some of his views sadly.

I didn't suggest this. There are definitely those who share these views.

But I think Paddy jumped in with all of the best intentions in mind, without a knowledge of how politics works.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I didn't suggest this. There are definitely those who share these views.

But I think Paddy jumped in with all of the best intentions in mind, but not really with a knowledge of how politics works.

I get ya, sorry misread your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭vafankillar

He hasn't a clue about politics tbh. Posting right wing economist thomas Sowell quotes on instagram while being in a left wing party. Absoloute headcase, cant imagine being at a branch meeting with him the ****e he must come out with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I initially thought Paddy did a great job of playing the fool (hostible), turns out he wasn't playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭weemcd

I think Paddy got too fond of the sound of his own voice. Having people on his podcast to agree with him, probably the same when it comes to MMA, everyone telling him he's a legend etc is bound to go to your head.

Navigating politics is incredibly difficult at the best of times, never mind if you actually say something controversial.

Advertisement