Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Esker Hills

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hi. Great to see the clean-up taking place again! My hubby is down there at the moment mowing away!
    We in Bluebell Way are in the early stages of trying to set up our own committee. We are having an informal get together on Wednesday next (August 4th) on the green area here in B.W. and, if the interest is good enough, we will be holding our first meeting the following Wednesday!!
    If there are any Bluebells on here at the moment I'd love to hear from you!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Well done to all who took part last night, the place looks a hell of a lot better! Sorry again that I couldn't join yis.

And best of luck Shazanne setting up a committee on BW. If you want me to send an email or anything about it out to the mailing list just let me know :D

Thanks Adser. I have a note printed out to drop into each house on Monday. Really hope people come along.
    The front of the estate looks really great now - well worth the effort. Well done and thanks to all turned out to help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

A nice bit. The biggest problem we have here really are the gates that used to lead into the builders compound. There were horses in the field there for quite a while, which attracted the younger kids and I was a bog of nerves that one of them would fall off the wall and be badly hurt. The horses are gone now so that problem is not as bad but, once it gets dark, the older ones congregate there with cans and God knows what! They get in over the way and "party" in the field. Or else they sit on the wall (which is high) and can be very intimidating. Also, on several occasions there have been strange cars meeting up there which groups of lads in them and I feel they are up to no good.
    We are planning on installing CCTV cameras that cover the back of the house and take in that area and we hope to solve the problems that way. What do you think or have you any suggestions?
    Do you have anti-social stuff where you are?

• Advertisement

Obaraten wrote: »
    How much anti-social behaviour goes on in your neck of the woods?

literally none around me. like shazanne said there does sometimes be cars meeting up but its really rare down my end. and once or twice a gang of youngfellas hopped over the boundary fence at the end of the road into the neighbouring field but that's it. I hope it stays like that!

theres a meeting at 8pm tonight for the residents of buttercup avenue in the leisure centre. alan hand and brian stanley will also be there

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Finally they have started work on the shop. Open for mid September apparently.

Really? That's great news! What's it to be? A convenience store I hope!

Yes. An independent grocery store. This could be good or bad for prices so we will just have to wait and see.
    I was told back in may that a store would be open in sept. At the time i took that information with a grain of salt, after so many lies about the retail unit.

• Advertisement

Indeed there have been lies. An independent store would have to keep their prices somewhat right or people will just stay heading off the estate, which they are well used to doing by now anyway.
    Looks like there'll be alot of action around Esker Hills in the future then - especially if the Laois Gospel Fellowship are successful with their bid to open a church in the creche!!!

ah that's great to hear! I saw the load if stone in the car park last night so presumed something was stirring. I hope they keep their prices reasonable though (unlike a certain little corner shop out on the dublin road) or else it'll just be passed by. still no word from the laois bible fellowship. I asked the lady from the church (that was talking to bicky and me before) 2 weeks ago to come on our forum to post up some info about their intended use of the creche to put peoples minds at ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CRAG

Hello there - I'm a part of the church so would be happy to answer any questions about what we are hoping to do if we're able to purchase the creche building. We're a community of Christians who've been meeting around the Portlaoise area for the last 10 years. We've got just under 50 members at the moment, plus children and visitors. We're from a variety of backgrounds but our aim to do what Jesus tells his disciples to do - to love God pre-eminently and to love our neighbors as ourselves. We've been meeting for the last couple of years in Abbeyleix Manor Hotel. You can see what we believe and what we do at our church website - www.laoisbible.com.

If we're able to purchase the building, we'd plan to continue to do what we do at the moment, while also attempting to serve in the local community in terms of youth work etc. Our main meeting is on Sunday morning from 11am. We meet for about an hour and a half to worship God in singing and prayers and to listen to the Bible being explained to us. Then we go home for lunch. Much smaller groups meet on Sunday nights for prayer (normally 6pm to 8pm), on Wednesday nights for Bible study (normally 8pm to 9:30pm), and on Friday nights for younger people (same kind of hours). It's all quite normal really and no-one should be concerned that there will be unwelcome noise at any time of the day, never mind late at night.

I suppose from the residents' point of view, there would be a concern about traffic. But what I've said above should help with that concern - our main meeting takes place at a time when the roads aren't terribly busy, and our meetings wouldn't involve focusing traffic on rush hour periods during the working week, as you might expect if it were to function as a creche. I'm sure residents would also appreciate the building being used and well maintained.

That said, if anyone has any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them if I can.

I would be interested to know how you recruit new members to your group and if you engage in calling from house to house to spread your word?
    I would also like to know why you consider a highly populated housing development an appropriate place to establish a permanent base for your group.

We've got just under 50 members at the moment, plus children and visitors
    Hello,
    Thanks for coming on here to engage with us. When you say you have fifty members and visitors, what exactly do you mean by visitors? Casual members of your church which number in the tens/ hundreds?
    How does a church with fifty members afford to purchase and pay the upkeep for such a large building?
    Are you willing to meet with the Residents face to face? Will you be holding a meeting in The leisure centre?
    Every day I look out my window at an unkempt building. I would like to see it well maintained, rather by a crèche than a religious organisation admittedly.
    Why can't the organisation find some non residential area for it's church?

Shazanne wrote: »
    I would be interested to know how you recruit new members to your group and if you engage in calling from house to house to spread your word?
    I would also like to know why you consider a highly populated housing development an appropriate place to establish a permanent base for your group.

A good question - thanks. Actually we don't put a terribly high emphasis on recruiting new members. In common with Christians of all backgrounds, we believe that God loved the world and sent his Son so that whoever believes in him should not perish for their sin but have eternal life (see John 3:16 in the Bible, for example). We therefore don't believe that people have to be a special relationship to our church or any other church for them to get to heaven. So our priority is not in recruiting members, but in sharing the great news that God is prepared to forgive our sin forever when we repent of our sin and trust in his Son, Jesus Christ, alone. We're always pleased to see new visitors in our church, but they are not pressurised to join anything. Some of the folk who come on Sunday mornings have been coming for years without becoming members. Others join after coming for a month. No-one is pressurised into anything. We don't even pressurise our children into becoming members. One of the differences between our church and Catholic and protestant churches is that we don't baptise our children, to make them part of the church without their consent. Instead, we wait for people to believe the gospel, and then they will take those decisions about baptism and becoming a member of the church themselves.

So we don't "recruit members," but we do encourage people to consider the good news of forgiveness offered to us in Jesus Christ. How do we do that? Well, we each recognise our responsibility to share the good news as and when we can. I suppose you could say that we do so in indirect and direct ways. In indirect ways, we would recognise our responsiblity to be good neighbours, to live the best kind of life we can to the glory of God. I could imagine this would be the kind of thing that residents in Esker Hills would appreciate. For example, you are taking responsibility for the upkeep of the green area. If we were to become a part of your community, it would be entirely reasonable for you to expect the church to be a good neighbour, and you might also be interested to know that some of our people have ride-on mowers! That's just one example, and I'm sure you could think of other ways in which good neighbours could play a useful part in community life.

But we try to share the good news in direct ways too. Those ways can be informal or formal. Informally, we would hope that we would use whatever opportunities come our way to explain that God promises to forgive us if we commit ourselves to his Son Jesus. And I suppose we do that in all kinds of ways. If you were to ask the members of the church how they came to believe the gospel, they would all have a different story. Some of us were born into families where the Bible was read, or brought up in churches where the gospel was explained. Others of us heard the gospel for the first time as
    adults. We might have heard it from friends, or while reading a book, or the Bible. Many of us heard of it first informally.

But, from time to time, we also try to use formal opportunities to share what we believe. Over the last few years, we have been putting magazines through doors around Portlaoise. They're glossy A4 size magazines called "4you" (there's a website you can check out if you haven't seen them and would like to see what they're like: www.4you.ie). Then over the last 3 summers, a handful of people from church have gone door to door for a couple of hours one night per week with the deliberate purpose of encouraging people to think about the message of the Bible. I haven't been myself, so I can't comment on what happens, but the feedback has been overwhelmingly very
    positive, and people are often glad to have an opportunity to talk to someone about what they believe. I certainly wouldn't expect our people to be pushy or aggressive, given what we believe! I suppose it's also worth emphasising that they're not selling anything! If anything is given out, it's free. And as it turns out, we've already covered the Esker Hills area: did you miss us ?

So what might this mean for residents of the estate? Well, it's taken our door-to-door team all summer just to get around Kilminchy with magazines and invitations to church. At this rate, it'll take a while to cover the rest of the town, and then there's thr rest of the county after that. You can do the sums, but I'd suggest that it's unlikely we'd knock on your door more than once in any ten year period.

OK, that was the first question. Your second question is about why the Esker Hills location. I'll get to that at my next tea break!

Hope that is helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

This should be good :)

ILA wrote: »
    This should be good :)

It should indeed! If you take all the references to God and the bible/gospel out of all that has been said above it hard to find any explanation for why they want to move in here!
    I worry about these religious groups and their constant striving to "recruit". There are alot of young and impressionable kids in Esker Hills that will be fascinated by all this and I can't see anything positive coming out of it.
    Plus, if they meet so infrequently and at defined times, what's wrong with the sytem they have of gathering in a rented hotel room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 insaneabouthunt

Hi Guys

i wonder what these guys are up too i hope something is done in that kip all the same

Yes - I certainly agree with that. It's a fairly sorry looking sight at the moment. However, there's no sense in just accepting the first thing that comes along and I am very wary of this Church idea. Maybe I'll be proven wrong and I would love to hear the opinions of other people on the matter.

• Advertisement

Just to let you know folks theres a couple of discussions about this on the esker hills facebook page too so add us if you havnt already :)

OK, the second question that was asked is about why we chose the Esker Hills site, and this was repeated by Bicky, who also asked about our ability to maintain the building if we were able to buy it (I’m assuming that’s what she is getting at when she asks about our funding sources). I’m on the building committee, so I can speak with some knowledge about this, though I’m not sure I can remember all the detail. But the gist of it is this:

Our initial goal was to purchase a green field site around the Abbeyleix area. We viewed a number of suitable sites and began negotiations on a couple of them, but with no results. As we were looking around, our architect and planning consultant were also talking to the planning department in the council, and it was their impression that planners would prefer us to look for an existing non-utilised building than to build another. That’s quite reasonable, given the way that the recession has left us with unfinished estates, abandoned building projects, unsold and unused property. The planners would also prefer to see a church community facility located in a town served by footpaths and street lighting. It was at that point that we became aware of the Esker Hills site. The creche facility was for sale, it wasn’t being used, so we talked to the developer, and we’ve submitted for planning, as you know, which we think will both serve our needs as a congregation and enhance the general area for the benefit of the whole community.

You both ask about the suitability of meeting in a residential area. It wasn’t our original plan, as I’ve just explained, but it does correspond to the situation of the other churches in Portlaoise, in that it’s situated within a community. So it’s certainly appropriate, unless we want to say that all the other churches are inappropriately situated. And as I said before, we would be intending to become a contributing part of the community, not a drain upon its goodwill.

Bicky also asks about numbers attending. As I said, we have just under 50 members, plus children and visitors. We have a lot of children, as many and perhaps most of our families have young children – probably 70 children, all counted. And I’m not sure exactly how many visitors there are or will continue to be, as is the nature of the case. There are a stable core who meet with us without becoming members, but as you’d expect there are others who just drop in to see what it’s like, who might stay for a while, and then move on. Last Sunday was unusually large – we had 135 people, including adults and children, for Sunday morning worship. That’s happened a few times in the last couple of months. Residents in Esker Hills might fear that our plan would be to grow and grow, but really that can’t happen. The building has finite space capacity, and if / when it becomes too small we would need to consider how to develop the church community in multiple sites.

As for our ability to maintain the building, that’s not in question. Although we are independent of any of the denominations, we are financially responsible, and would see the proper maintaining of the building as a basic mark of respect for our neighbours – just as I’m sure you would do.

As for the public meeting, I understand that the arrangements are in process on the Esker Hills Facebook page, and I suppose there will be an announcement about this in due course – but we are certainly very willing to meet people and talk through any concerns that folk might raise. I hope that’s useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

I have a question, just where are the cars for up too 135 people going to park in Esker Hills? There's only space for about 15 spaces outside the building.
    Even if your 50 members turn up two to a car that's still 25 cars, so where's the cars going?

There are two car parks - check out the proposed site plans here: http://www.laois.ie/idocs/listFiles.aspx?catalog=planning&id=10406

The plans have about 36 spaces I think. But you'll notice there is space for more within the boundaries, which is something we're following up on.

We have done surveys of the numbers of cars being used at the moment, and the average was I think in the low 30s. As I said before, many or even most people have young families, so in many instances you should think about cars with 3, 5 or sometimes even 7 people using these spaces.

That should look much more managable, even if you take 135 people - which was I think the most we've ever had in one service - and work out how many cars they would require on that basis.

It's also worth considering that a few of our members live within walking distance of the site - so not everyone who attends would need to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

CRAG wrote: »
    There are two car parks - check out the proposed site plans here: http://www.laois.ie/idocs/listFiles.aspx?catalog=planning&id=10406

The plans have about 36 spaces I think. But you'll notice there is space for more within the boundaries, which is something we're following up on.

We have done surveys of the numbers of cars being used at the moment, and the average was I think in the low 30s. As I said before, many or even most people have young families, so in many instances you should think about cars with 3, 5 or sometimes even 7 people using these spaces.

That should look much more managable, even if you take 135 people - which was I think the most we've ever had in one service - and work out how many cars they would require on that basis.

It's also worth considering that a few of our members live within walking distance of the site - so not everyone who attends would need to drive.

Ok let me put it another way, your car park is full one Sunday, where do the other cars park?
    I would presume that's the main problem here, the roads in and around the site are small enough without cars parked all over them.

I am not 100% convinced on that explanation given regarding the Laois County Council planners and the green field site and I would suggested that those planners also be invited to any public meeting that will take place.
    Also, while I accept the point that Churches are generally in towns, they are certainly not in housing developments.
    The point raised on the parking is very true and one that will need to be fully explored.
    Overall, this issue is obviously causing concern to residents and I support the need for a public meeting and would hope to see all public representatives in attendance. There are quite a number of votes in Esker Hills!

Bodhan wrote: »
    Ok let me put it another way, your car park is full one Sunday, where do the other cars park?
    I would presume that's the main problem here, the roads in and around the site are small enough without cars parked all over them.

Thanks Bodhan – that’s a fair question, though it could be asked of anyone using the creche building, no matter what was the size of their car park. I suppose we would want to say that we believe the car parking space is big enough for our present needs, and that if a situation developed in which it became insufficient for our needs, we would respect the preferences of residents not to have church-related cars parked in front of their houses. There is no way that we would want to find ourselves facing the parking difficulties that confront some other churches in town. If the car park became insufficient for our needs, that would be our problem, not the problem of the residents, and we would certainly not want residents being inconvenienced. We already have some ideas about what we would do in that situation.

But to be honest, our concern at the moment isn’t about church members or regular visitors not realising the importance of not parking in front of residents’ houses – it’s about people who are first-time visitors, and who aren’t sensitive to the situation, or about single adults running late with a car full of children on a rainy Sunday morning. In that worst-case scenario, I could imagine that a stray car could be parked somewhere off-site for the two hours or so that we meet on Sunday morning.

We can talk about it more at the public meeting – announced below – but I think the message you will hear there is that we will make it our responsibility to inform everyone who regularly attends of the need not to park in front of residents’ houses. And surely, given all that I’ve said in previous posts about our hope to be reasonable neighbours, everyone who comes along would want to facilitate that. But the sad fact is that it’s very difficult to make promises on behalf of other people!

So thanks Bodhan: I hope that’s a reasonable response, if not a categorical answer.

The public meeting will be held at 8pm on Wednesday 1 September, upstairs in the Parish Centre.

Where is the parish centre CRAG?

adser53 wrote: »
    Where is the parish centre CRAG?

It's the building with the turf roof at the town end of the Stradbally Road - it's beside the red-brick church building, SS Peter and Paul's. (Dare I say, the one with the big car park?)

• Advertisement

Could I just ask who has organised this public meeting and who, as in public reps etc., have been asked to attend?

Advertisement