Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Sagan Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

I think he is fantastic. Type of personality you could build a sport around, natural showman, ferocious will to win and Strad Di bianci and the fact he wins all year round shows he's a good pro with a proper work ethic. Also he explained his mates picked his tdf celebrations

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

drogdub wrote: »
    I think he is fantastic. Type of personality you could build a sport around, natural showman, ferocious will to win and Strad Di bianci and the fact he wins all year round shows he's a good pro with a proper work ethic. Also he explained his mates picked his tdf celebrations

I don't think you could build a sport around him, he's a bit like marmite, 50/50 either you love him or hate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Sagan is a fantastic cyclist and a fun young man....with hopefully great career in front of him
    However I hope he doesn't win everything as that would be too predicable
    Like in MSR I think he won't win tomorrow at Tour of Flanders

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: The nest post I have to delete with off topic insinuations gets a straight red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Sorry mod, wasn't suggesting amything, more thinking aloud !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I love him.
    He is the best all round cyclist since perhaps the likes of Kelly. May never win a GT but he can win everything else.
    Beautiful cyclist, raw power and aggression with a huge sense of fun.
    He is a young man on the way up. Why shouldnt he enjoy himself.
    Modern sport is way too full of cardboard characters.

I hope the trajectory keep going.
    He has a lot to learn, but he is capable of learning I think. Frank VDB or the likes he is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i like him because he actually seems to be having fun while on his bike, im mad right :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Spoiler rules applied and a load of posts deleted

If you wish to refer to today's race do so in the correct thread

No more warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

:confused: isnt this the sagan thread?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

:confused: isnt this the sagan thread?
    Yes, but check the Forum rules (and separate "Seasonal reminder" sticky) for spoiler rules. If you wish to discuss anything pertaining to today's race, use spoiler tags or the relevant race thread

Any questions, PM me - don't discuss modding issues in-thread

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

This is a great photo but it's a spoiler so don't look until you know today's result.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

furiousox wrote: »
    This is a great photo but it's a spoiler so don't look until you know today's result.

Hmmmm, don't know if it's great. He looks a bit weird and rapey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

She never flinched, would be a great cure after the cobbles!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

happytramp wrote: »
    Hmmmm, don't know if it's great. He looks a bit weird and rapey.

I completely agree. It was a stupid and offensive thing to do, particularly for a professional who has become a leading light for the sport. It's just a shame there isn't a subsequent photo of the woman punching Sagan on the snot, but instead she showed some professionalism by ignoring him. She comes out it looking well, in the circumstances, Sagan comes out of looking like an idiot.

It'll be interesting to see what his team does in response, if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

"Rapey"??
    That's a bit extreme imo.
    I think he's hamming it up for the camera and that's it.
    Maybe showing his immaturity but I wouldn't get too upset about it.

EDIT: He's since apologised

Peter Sagan ‏@petosagan
    Was not my intention to disrespect women today on the podium. Just a joke, sorry if someone was disturbed about it.

CPL 593H

I think he's hamming it up for the camera and that's it.
    Maybe showing his immaturity but I wouldn't get too upset about it.

I find it no less offensive that he may be "hamming it up" (to the woman who was felt up I imagine his motivations don't make it feel any less demeaning), though I do agree that it may reflect his immaturity. How he responds to the public reaction to it will perhaps give an insight into his true character - if he is an arse he'll just ignore the complaints and not care, if this was an uncharacteristic "goof" then presumably he'll acknowledge his stupidity and apologise publicly to the woman concerned.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Well, he did sign a girl's boobs on camera too. Did you all think he was a saint?

Well, he did sign a girl's boobs on camera too. Did you all think he was a saint?

If a women volunteers her boobs for him to sign then regardless of how silly I might consider it to be it's entirely her choice. Pinching the arse of a woman just because you feel like it is entirely different.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

doozerie wrote: »
    If a women volunteers her boobs for him to sign then regardless of how silly I might consider it to be it's entirely her choice. Pinching the arse of a woman just because you feel like it is entirely different.

Well I'd have called it six of one, half dozen of the other. I think Sagan dives in first and she's cool with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

Well I'd have called it six of one, half dozen of the other. I think Sagan dives in first and she's cool with it.

I'd let him sign my moob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

He is a crowd pleaser, and a fun guy something every sport needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

macadam wrote: »
    He is a crowd pleaser, and a fun guy something every sport needs.

What sport needs 'fun guys' who think publicly groping and harassing women is amusing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

It's sexual assault, plain & simple!

If I groped a female colleague liked that I'd be fired & rightly so!

I hadn't seen that video, just the still photo, but from the video it's certainly clear that he instigated it. You may interpret her reaction as being cool with it, personally I see her as being so taken by surprise that she doesn't know how to react and being surrounded by a crowd that seems to find it amusing must make it even more difficult for her. "Celebrities" have been getting away with overstepping the bounds of what is morally acceptable probably for as long as they have existed, and many people just laugh it off as being a moment of madness (or worse, some form of acceptable entertainment from someone who is "a character"), but take away the celebrity aspect of it all and what you have is sexual assault, as already mentioned. That video puts Sagan in a very bad light, in my view, and the podium photo serves to compound the likelihood that he is an idiot, he just happens to be an idiot that excels at riding a bike. Pity, I like his riding style, it's a shame that his personality is proving quite repulsive to me.

The suggestion in some of the posts that he is a "crowd pleaser" and that this makes such behaviour okay is nonsense. There also seems to be an implication that the woman he groped was somehow okay with it, which I find bizarre. She was there to do a job (which is to look good to appeal to the spectators/public, which is a dubious aspect of podium celebrations to start with), and she was doing her job. Sagan took an opportunity to grope her, leaving her with the choice of either trying to brush it off and get on with her job, or risk the anger of her employers by making what would become a very public issue of it on camera. It's not unlike the stereotypical scenario of the boss/manager taking an opportunity to perve over, and demean, someone in a less powerful role such as his secretary since he knows that she might feel unable to do anything about it in the context of the work environment. I thought it was generally accepted that as a society we'd moved on from that offensive and predatory mindset, but obviously we have a long way to go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

The next time Sagan makes it to the podium, if one of the podium girls pinches his ass will people still be in such a rush to get offended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

longshanks wrote: »
    The next time Sagan makes it to the podium, if one of the podium girls pinches his ass will people still be in such a rush to get offended?

Yes ...because its unacceptable to grope someone , anyone, especially in the work place where status comes in to play.....

I had some terrible incidents in my teens and twenties where i was harrassed and groped by men...and many women do.....
    Ok some ...a few don't mind but most women hate it and find it very demeaning and disresptful. (and sometimes frightening) ....you'd be surprised how many women have to put up with this kind of thing....
    I guess you have to ask yourself would you like your daughter, mother , wife, girlfriend or sister, etc to have to put up with being groped in their place of work.....(or anywhere)

I am not interested in a Sagan witch hunt ..I will take it like alot of young men especially from an 'insular' culture they are not aware that there are lines that should not be crossed......If he accepts this and it does not happen again then hopefully it can be a lesson for many who think its all a bit of a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

He's a wee horn-ball. He'll get a bitch slapping from someone sooner or later.

563790_10151389246276864_1556526844_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I know it's wrong, but I still can't look at the pic without smiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Can we ban Diet Coke commercials too? I mean seriously, so far I have seen a window cleaner, an elevator repairman and now a gardener all being sexually harassed by gangs of women deliberately agitating cans of Diet Coke so that the poor (probably minimum wage workers) are forced to strip their clothes off and bare their perfect torsos.

I know what Peter did was wrong, but has anyone thought to ask the Podium Girls if they are actually that miserable doing what they do?

Advertisement