Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RedRobert

Dublin 2 - St Stephens Green area

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

RedRobert wrote: »
    Dublin 2 - St Stephens Green area

What a nightmare! Was it locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Silent Assasin

Cheapo MTB nicked from Clonsilla station yesterday between 8AM and 6PM, Looks like all of the racks were cleared out no bikes left there yesterday and only one locked up this morning.

Anyone else in the same boat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RedRobert

Holyboy wrote: »
    What a nightmare! Was it locked?

New lock as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I know that it's a bit late to say this for those who've already posted here but, if one has a bike that is €1000+ then there is no way that it should be parked or locked up anywhere other than indoors at a secure location. Krytonite locks etc. are really for the deterrence of commuter bike theft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Lemag wrote: »
    I know that it's a bit late to say this for those who've already posted here but, if one has a bike that is €1000+ then there is no way that it should be parked or locked up anywhere other than indoors at a secure location. Krytonite locks etc. are really for the deterrence of commuter bike theft.

+1 to that, Keep your good bike locked up at home - injoy it and use it just dont leave it anywhere,

You can get a good 2nd hand bike for less then <150 for locking up in places and then this keeps you good bike safe,

@RedRobert sorry to say but with the kit that was on ur bike i cant see it showing up anywhere as they will just sell the parts off etc
    did you regester the lock as it may have irish cover for one year on it up to the amout of like 500 or 1000 e!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

New lock as well.

what lock, how was it locked and to what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

doc1976 wrote: »
    Out of interest, is there anyone mapping all these thefts? It would be interesting to see if there is any trend. Could be useful info for the gardai and for us of course!!
    Whitehawk wrote: »
    +1 to that idea but i dont have the time.... but be very intresting to see it all on a map!

Bike shepard already does this! I posted a thread about it the other day. I wish more people would sign up to it, because the more people who are registered, the more effective it will be (more people looking out for stoeln bikes near them or noticing the tags on bikes etc..)

Thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73368099

There is only 2 bikes up there for dublin! looks like not may irish people use it or know about it!

There is only 2 bikes up there for dublin!
    They are stolen bikes! If the people on here whose stolen bikes were registered on bikeshepard then we would be able to see clearly where the hotspots are - as yourself and doc1976 were discussing.

...looks like not may irish people use it or know about it!
    So, are you gonna register? :P

• Advertisement

They are stolen bikes! If the people on here whose stolen bikes were registered on bikeshepard then we would be able to see clearly where the hotspots are - as yourself and doc1976 were discussing.

So, are you gonna register? :P
    Na i dont have a bike stolen,

But ya if people did put there bikes up there it would be intresting but still dont think we would get enough people to warent it, i was more thinking of a irsih site that would attract all people that have bikes taken not just boards ppl as then we would really start to see something.

Na i dont have a bike stolen
    >.<

The idea is that you register before your bike is stolen!
    ...i was more thinking of a irsih site that would attract all people that have bikes taken not just boards ppl as then we would really start to see something.

But that's exactly what this site is.... ('cept for being irish). I really like the idea of the tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

New lock as well.

What lock (even a description and price) and how did you lock it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Was just about to post this :ref Broadsheet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stedub

hey, just a heads up, my brother had is bike stolen from Donabate train station yesterday. The guy working there told him the CCTV wasn't working and around 12 bikes were stolen in the last week...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Why isn't this thread a sticky :confused:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Why isn't this thread a sticky :confused:
    Because:
    • It's linked from the Charter/FAQ section;
    • Posters have indicated they prefer less rather than more stickies; and
    • The "management" have requested we have no more than 3 permanent stickies in any forum;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Rutrider

Hi

My Specialized Rockhopper pro disc was taken from my apartment back door in Naas on Monday between 8-11. Its very distinctive as it has been heavily modified with 1.2" maxxis detonator tyres on DT Swiss disc wheels and clarkes disc brakes and a weeride cross bar for taking my daughter to creche and along the canal in Naas. It also had a frame bag with tyres and tools in. Also cane creek ergo side bars. Mostly deore drivetrain. Finally it has a black kinesis disc mount ridgid fork.

May have been kids not wanting to walk home or maybe someone a little more focussed. I would love to get this bike back as I built it specifically for transporting my kids around on and my daughter (2) is heartbroken its gone.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

129-3321353MMA74UC711354M.jpgMy son had his silver bike stolen outside our house 3 weeks ago.http://www.argos.ie/wcsstore/argosie/images/129-3321353MMA74UC711354M.jpg

He only had it 3 months, he got it for his 9th birthday. It was taken from our front garden on a Thursday night 3 weeks ago

Its a silver Challenge Deluth 20 inch BMX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 declanrob

Hi,

My bike was stolen outside freash just like the very first post on this page. raging.

Glossy black fixed gear with a flame saddle. kinda hard to miss. Rang fresh - they have cctv - so will be checking later. Their staff have all had bikes stolen - it's such a hot spot. grrrr. wish something could be done.

sorry to hear about all misfortune :(

p.s i was watching peter pan the musical in GCT to make it even more sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

lukesmom wrote: »
    129-3321353MMA74UC711354M.jpgMy son had his silver bike stolen outside our house 3 weeks ago.http://www.argos.ie/wcsstore/argosie/images/129-3321353MMA74UC711354M.jpg

He only had it 3 months, he got it for his 9th birthday. It was taken from our front garden on a Thursday night 3 weeks ago

Its a silver Challenge Deluth 20 inch BMX
    Sorry to hear it. It might help to tell people where you are based, so they know where to keep an eye out for it.
    declanrob wrote: »
    Hi,

My bike was stolen outside freash just like the very first post on this page. raging.

Isn't it crazy that a brand new facility like GCT doesn't have proper supervised secure bike parking? It's the same at the Dublin Convention Centre - no designated bike parking - madness.

Isn't it crazy that a brand new facility like GCT doesn't have proper supervised secure bike parking? It's the same at the Dublin Convention Centre - no designated bike parking - madness.
    Something to get on to the council about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hi,

Glossy black fixed gear with a flame saddle. kinda hard to miss. Rang fresh - they have cctv - so will be checking later. Their staff have all had bikes stolen - it's such a hot spot. grrrr. wish something could be done.

Couple of scumbag kids always hanging about outside Fresh in the evenings (well they used to but I stopped shopping there), they would always be lurking round the bikes and inspecting the bikes (possibly locks). Never seen anything on them to cut locks but they could have just been looking out for someone to leave a bike there long enough. Have you asked Fresh for CCTV? or do they have any there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 declanrob

CramCycle wrote: »
    Hi,

Couple of scumbag kids always hanging about outside Fresh in the evenings (well they used to but I stopped shopping there), they would always be lurking round the bikes and inspecting the bikes (possibly locks). Never seen anything on them to cut locks but they could have just been looking out for someone to leave a bike there long enough. Have you asked Fresh for CCTV? or do they have any there?

Thanks to all for posting. I can't believe it I got it back.

I have the name of the guy and the CCTV of him doing it. A friend in the area knew straight away who did it and got it back.

My lock was intact- that is scary. I don't know how these guys do it.

Off to the guards.

Thanks everyone.

My lock was intact- that is scary. I don't know how these guys do it.
    Let us know when you find out! Glad to heat you got your bike back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Got my bike stolen between 6:30pm and 8:30pm last evening, right in the middle of the Gasworks Apartments, off Barrow Street. It's reported to the Gardai already.

Just got it 6 weeks ago, it was locked to a bike rail, but the cable was cut right through.

Orange Trek Hybrid, that's all for the details.

I went to the security lads in the apartment block an hour ago, found out, mine was not the only one stolen.

Seems, they got the thief on CCTV...some guy with dark blond/gingerish short hair, beige tracksiut bottom, green adidas t-shirt, white runners and a black rucksack.

I guess, neither me, nor the other lad, whose bike was stolen, will get our bikes back, but hopefully that c**t of a thief won't have any happy times with his 'new' bikes or the money, he got for the bikes.

Just annoying to see that happening, bright daylight (at least, when mine was stolen, the other incident happened at 8:45pm roughly) and somebody cuts through a lock.

Thanks for your attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Hey Lars,

Sorry to hear about the bike. Whereabouts did you lock in the gasworks? I keep my bike there the odd time.

Lars1916 wrote: »

Orange Trek Hybrid, that's all for the details.

What model?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 EmmyPixel

Purple apollo jewel ladies bike 17'' with one black rear mudguard duct-taped onto the back. Went from Milltown Luas station on Saturday between 10 and 4pm. Had ''halfords u lock'' on the front and a bendy lock on the back. Neither were left. Gardai says the CCTV always points at the ticket machines.

Advertisement