Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VeloCity 2019 Delegate reactions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It was a bit like going on a trip to North Korea, they only chaperone you to the places they want you to see,

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    It was a bit like going on a trip to North Korea, they only chaperone you to the places they want you to see,

And then then IBD take you on the "only for the locals" tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I'm just delighted that they were found out. I'm also delighted that outsiders can now clearly see the lack of political courage here that politicians would go to great lengths to try to cover up their inaction instead of having the courage to be real leaders to change our society for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

So the politicians and planners have been shown to be inept at their job and contemptuous in their actions towards cyclists. Unfortunately this is not knowledge to anyone that cycles in Ireland. What can we do to change this as they have no interest?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Duckjob wrote: »
    I'm just delighted that they were found out. I'm also delighted that outsiders can now clearly see the lack of political courage here that politicians would go to great lengths to try to cover up their inaction instead of having the courage to be real leaders to change our society for the better.
    part of the problem is that to a large extent, provisioning of infrastructure is left to the councils and councillors. and the issue with that is that the benefit of something like the liffey cycle path is felt far more by people *not* living in the area than by people living in the area.
    there's no point in my mate brian canvassing his local councillor for support for something which should make his life easier and safer, given that his local councillor is based in dublin 15, and has no say over something happening in the city centre.

i know dublin cycling campaign have been addressing this by getting businesses to sign up to the scheme calling for better infrastructure, but i don't know if this is as direct as one of the large employers in the IFSC contacting dublin city council and saying 'sort your **** out for the benefit of our staff'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭mvt

All good points but also important to remember "they" cant actually stop you from cycling.

I'm not sure if I'm being pessimistic or realistic but I don't really expect things to change, at least not anytime soon so I just try & get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

part of the the benefit of something like the liffey cycle path is felt far more by people *not* living in the area than by people living in the area.
    there's no point '.

Really good point on not having a say and I would never have thought it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

I get the impression that the RSA and councils really believed they were going to be getting praised for their approach. It's a fairly rude awakening.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lewotsil

Until 100% of cyclists and peds are wearing hi-vis .....the RSA will not stop !...... bunch of muppets

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I get the impression that the RSA and councils really believed they were going to be getting praised for their approach. It's a fairly rude awakening.

The RSA were bouyed up by their earlier award from the EU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Velocity Dublin in 2055; Ireland has stopped designing Cities and towns around the Motor Vehicle and have given the streets back to the people, pollution levels have dropped to keep us in line with EU commitments..

No wait... this is Utrecht today:

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bot1

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Velocity Dublin in 2055; Ireland has stopped designing Cities and towns around the Motor Vehicle and have given the streets back to the people, pollution levels have dropped to keep us in line with EU commitments..

No wait... this is Utrecht today:

Not a helmet or high vis vest in sight! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Bot1 wrote: »

Get those dangerous maniacs off the street quick before they cause one of those cyclist collisions that Mannix Flynn seems to be involved in every other week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Bot1 wrote: »

Hi-vis (and hard-hats) are (rightly) mandatory on building sites, because you are mixing people and heavy machinery in a location where there is no finished infrastructure or defined pathways for movement - sounds familiar...

In Utrecht, the infrastructure is finished, so no need for building site outfits... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Type 17 wrote: »
    Hi-vis (and hard-hats) are (rightly) mandatory on building sites, because you are mixing people and heavy machinery in a location where there is no finished infrastructure or defined pathways for movement - sounds familiar...

In Utrecht, the infrastructure is finished, so no need for building site outfits... :pac:

Completely overlooking of course that a helmet will do diddly squat if you're hit by a speeding motorist.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Someone should tell the Velocity folks that the temporary bike parking installed at the Convention Centre for the event has been neatly removed - wouldn't want nasty people using bikes to get to their fancy events now, would they?

https://twitter.com/Paulcorcoran10/status/1141739256978771974

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

It was only tied down with bits of plastic bags anyway - took a photo, but my phone is temporarily absent; I'll post it later if I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Here we go - the little plastic bit of a bag tying down the bike stand at VeloCity 2019!

485807.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's pretty depressing. Surprised they didn't install the wheel buckler racks to add insult to injury.

Advertisement