Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Games Have You Completed? (2020 Edition)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GAME Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    PLATFORM PS4

I originally started the XBLA version, until I saw the PS4 version via the Requiem bundle. Much better visually, and also had scanlines as an option, which I'm a sucker for.

Sweet sacred heart of Christ this game was immense. I didn't wanna rush through it like I usually do toward the end of an RPG. I wanted to pick this game apart like a fine comb.

I might not have gotten every item (I'd say there were a few enemy drops I didn't get) but I did end up with, arguably, the best weapons in the game (crissaegrim x2). I beat the game 200.6%, and it took me 14 hours.

I regret, regret, regret, regret, regret(!!!!!) not playing this game when I first heard of it.

If it's any consolation -from the eyes of someone playing it in 2020, it bloody well holds up, both aesthetically and from a gameplay perspective.

I intend on going through Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night next. Probably won't hold a candle to this but I have heard it's almost just as good. I've only dabbled in it.

If you are even slightly interested in RPGs and appreciate 2D visuals, and you haven't played this, WTF are you doing? Get it played t'f*ck!

I'm buzzing after this :pac: What a game.

One of the best. I enjoyed every single moment of it.

Games Beaten in 2020 So Far
    GAME|PLATFORM
    STAR WARS JEDI: FALLEN ORDER|XBOX ONE
    MY FRIEND PEDRO|XBOX ONE
    UNTITLED GOOSE GAME|XBOX ONE
    FLOWER|PS4
    CASTLEVANIA: SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT|PS4

It's a game that keeps on giving as well. The Richter and new Maria modes are fun but I actually love playing the game with the luck code. Basically makes all your stats 1 except luck which is 255. Means you do feck all damage but it's offset by ridiculous and random critical hits and weird rare item drops to try out.

There's so many secrets as well. Love stuff like the shield rod that changes attack based on the shield you have equipped. Equip a leather shield and you summon a cow. Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    Borderlands 3: Moxxi's Heist DLC
    Control
    A Plague Tale: Innocence

Monster Hunter World: Not a completion in the traditional sense, but I have completed the story and am now into the endgame which is really where the game begins when it comes to Monster Hunter.

Story is obviously nothing to write home about, but it is a serviceable introduction to the world and its many systems. Having put serious time into previous instalments, it is refreshing to see Capcom try and appeal to a broader audience and include a story that almost acts as a 30 hour tutorial. Many fellow series veterans scoff at the attempt to streamline the series, but truth be told, there is still plenty of depth to be found, it is all just a little less of a chore and obtuse to get your head around what a convoluted beast a Monster Hunter game can tend to be. Previous games were impenetrable unless you sat with a wiki and really studied the game to the point where enjoying Monster Hunter almost felt like being part of an exclusive club

If smoothing the learning curve is going to bring more people to the series and show people what an absolute blast it can be, then making things more accessible can only be a good thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GAME|PLATFORM

Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing|PC
    Gato Roboto|PC
    Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker|PS3
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC

Dragon's Lair

It was a fun Half Hour but this would have driven me mad back in the day had I played it. It's basically one big long QTE and not a very fair one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

First game completion of 2020:

Nintendo Switch

Ori and the Blind Forest: Really enjoyed it, fairly short (think it took me about 11 hours in total, and I'm a bit of a completionist) so didn't get stale at all. Loved the Metroidvania elements. Ready for the Hollow Knight sequel now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Dust: An Elysian Tale is a game I've had downloaded to my PS4 for a long time without playing it. Not sure why it took me so long to play it but I really enjoyed it. I completed the game on the tough skill setting which to be honest wasn't very difficult. Excellent map system, music and visuals. My only complaint would be enemies becoming very easy to kill while backtracking.

I also completed Oxenfree over the course of a lazy Sunday. Great 80's style teenage sci-fi game that's very story based. Nothing difficult but again great style and good story made for an enjoyable game.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Letter Quest Remastered| PlayStation 4
    Costume Quest 2| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Metro Last Light Redux| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Little Nightmares & DLC| PlayStation 4
    Horizon Zero Dawn & Frown Wilds DLC| PlayStation 4
    Forgotten Anne| PlayStation 4
    Dust: An Elysian Tale| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Kid Icarus Uprising on 3ds.
    I enjoyed it for the most part apart from the most annoying recurring enemy, the controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Kid Icarus Uprising on 3ds.
    I enjoyed it for the most part apart from the most annoying recurring enemy, the controls.
    D'you play it with that stand they packed in? Is it super necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I played on a New 3ds XL and didn't use the stand

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

Finished Pokemon Sword over the weekend

GAME|PLATFORM
    Days Gone|Playstation 4
    The Last Of Us|Playstation 4
    The Last Of Us - Left Behind |Playstation 4
    Pokemon Sword|Nintendo Switch
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

GAME|PLATFORM
    Star wars Jedi Fallen order|PS4
    Control|PS4
    Tekken 7 story Mode|PS4
    Death Stranding | PS4

Finished Death stranding two weeks ago. was okay full on kojima near the end. Was more like a movie than a game, experimental to say the least. Enjoyed the most of it.

Currently 3/4 the way through subnautica which has amazing depth(excuse the pun) for an indie game.

On last part of Super Mario Odyessy, which is surprisingly short.

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Dust: An Elysian Tale is a game I've had downloaded to my PS4 for a long time without playing it. Not sure why it took me so long to play it but I really enjoyed it. I completed the game on the tough skill setting which to be honest wasn't very difficult. Excellent map system, music and visuals. My only complaint would be enemies becoming very easy to kill while backtracking.

I also completed Oxenfree over the course of a lazy Sunday. Great 80's style teenage sci-fi game that's very story based. Nothing difficult but again great style and good story made for an enjoyable game.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4

Played Oxenfree a good few years back, loved it, thought the art style was great.

Did you boot it up again after finishing it the first time, worth a check some weird things happen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm trying to work my way through some of the shorter games I have in my backlog so I managed to get complete both Kona and Abzu over the last few days.

I was disappointed with Kona. 'Walking Simulators' live and die on their narrative which I felt was lacking in Kona. It had a good atmosphere and the slight survival mechanics at least added some challenge but the plot was not engaging enough for me.

Abzu, on the other hand, I loved. It was a very relaxing game but an incredible soundtrack. It was great to swim around exploring the world and at just over 3 hours it was the perfect length for this type of game. Very enjoyable.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4
    Kona| PlayStation 4
    Abzu| PlayStation 4

Played Oxenfree a good few years back, loved it, thought the art style was great.

Did you boot it up again after finishing it the first time, worth a check some weird things happen

No I didn't, I didn't realise things changed after completing it. I'll have to check it out!

Kingp35 wrote: »
    No I didn't, I didn't realise things changed after completing it. I'll have to check it out!

Nothing major, but there are multiple endings and a few scares that weren't there the first time.

GAME|PLATFORM

Gato Roboto|PC
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC

Return of Egypt

Here's an annoying one. Wanted to play a very quick metroidvania and heard about this little doujinsoft game. Found a copy and while it has some issues like some questionable level design and an over reliance on the sprint it was a fun little metroidvania with some fun bosses.

Then I found out what I had played was an unfinished demo. There's one video online of the full game which has an extra character, more areas and more bosses. However it seems this version of the game can't be found anywhere and is now pretty much lost. Shame as it's a piece of history and the creator went on to make a lot of really good commercial games and is still making games.

GAME|PLATFORM
    Star wars Jedi Fallen order|PS4
    Control|PS4
    Tekken 7 story Mode|PS4
    Death Stranding | PS4
    Super Mario Odyessy | Nintendo Switch

Finished mario last night, well the main story at least. From what I heard there is a lot of moons to get still, its one of those games you can dip in and out of.

Very relaxing to play and it just seemed to have some of that Nintendo "magic".

After I clear some of my backlog on my ps4 subnautica, shadow of the colossus and Nier automata, will hopefully start Fire Emblem three houses its meant to be fantastic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tales from Off-peak City Vol 1 - the surreal, artfully janky games of Cosmo-D are something I know very much look forward to. This one - a sequel of sorts to both Off-peak and the Norwood Suite - is in some ways his most sophisticated yet without losing that jank-core appeal. I love how he builds these small, dense worlds full of secret passages and buttons that lead you down variously odd paths and little stories. As well as one of the most surprisingly deep photography modes you’re likely to find, this one boasts a particularly pleasing pizza making mini-game, where you gradually discover a bunch of horrific ingredients to add to the pies. What’s best is how customers react once you’ve delivered them, offering up constructive and specific feedback no matter what piece of **** you serve up. Recommended!

Wide Ocean, Big Jacket - an hour-long game that recounts the adventures of a group of four people on a short camping trip. Does what it says on the tin, but does it very well. Clever use of the different characters’ perspectives keeps things interesting, with the various vignettes rarely lasting more than two or three minutes. Manages to effectively explore characters and their stories in a running time that will likely last just one sitting. Lots of great little visual ideas, and a wry sense of humour that propels everything forward. Also, there’s one bit with a scary story around a campfire that is just delightful.

GAME|PLATFORM

Gato Roboto|PC
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue|PC

Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue

Another short metroidvania by Krobon.

I'm amazed that Atlus gave this game away for free to promote another game because it's so god. It's about 2-3 hours long. The pixel art is gorgeous and the interplay between the two jack brothers is excellent. It lends itself to so very interesting and well designed boss fights. Definitely worth checking out especially for Shin Megami Tensei fans.

GAME|PLATFORM

Gato Roboto|PC
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Florence|PC

Florence

More an interactive story than a game. Only lasts about 40 minutes and there's no dialogue. However don't take that as a criticism, I really enjoyed it. The music by Kevin Penkin is excellent and there's some really nice touches with the controls to represent stuff like how conversation got easier as the first date went on. A fantastic piece of interactive media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Another update

Final Fantasy X (PC) Technically brilliant at the time and a massive leap on from IX, but with a weird story, annoying lead character and awful voice acting it's a disappointment. Also, F*%k the sphere grid and F*&k blitzball.
    Medal of Honor: European Assault (XBOX) A more modern feeling game than previous titles, it's a great (if short) campaign. Need to dig out my other MoH games now.
    Project Gotham Racing 2 (XBOX) Kinda weird in that some cars and tracks are p**s easy and others will tear you a new A*&^%$£e. great game though.
    Indyracing Series (XBOX) technically well made but Christ it's boring.
    Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (XBOX) Better than Frontline, let down a little by some poor level design in some areas.
    Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (XBOX) fun little war sim, meanders from super easy to ball-achingly hard missions.

• Advertisement

GAME|PLATFORM

Gato Roboto|PC
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Florence|PC
    Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3: The Answer|PS2

Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3: The Answer

An expansion to the original Persona 3 included in the FES update.

While I think Persona 3 is up there as one of the greatest games and RPGs ever made, this expansion is a let down. It's mostly a dungeon crawler focusing on the combat. And while the combat in Persona 3 is some of the best RPG turn based combat ever the genius of that game is that it varies things with the social scenes. Focusing just on combat becomes exhausting.

The Answer starts out very hard but gets a lot easier but the last few dungeons are just BS with some very annoying enemies that aren't worth fighting as they just take way too long to kill and drain resources.

Storywise it's a let down. It shows some scenes of how each character joins SEES but it adds nothing to the main storyline. Also it adds nothing to the Persona 3 ending which was wrapped up nicely. The characters just end up right back where they where by the end of the story.

Overall, its not bad but also probably not worth your time either.

I finished Vampyr over the weekend, it's available on PS Now. It's a game I really wanted to like, the setting is great and I really enjoyed the story however it has a lot of issues. There is no fast travel, the idea that talking to NPC's unlocks different quests sounds good but in reality it makes the game too dialogue heavy and boring. Characters peak far too slow and there is no proper option to skip through dialogue as when you press the skip button it skips more dialogue than the subtitles on screen. The combat is basic enough too but does get better as you unlock skills.

In summary, a great setting and main story but has many issues.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4
    Kona| PlayStation 4
    Abzu| PlayStation 4
    Vampyr| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Star wars jedi fallen order - PS4
    Gears of war ultimate edition - Xbox one

The witcher 3 - PS4

GAME|PLATFORM

Gato Roboto|PC
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Florence|PC
    Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3: The Answer|PS2
    The Last of Us: Left Behind|PS4

The Last of Us: Left Behind

While I feel the Last of Us has a few flaws that tend to get overlooked, this piece of DLC was pretty close to perfect. Freed from the trappings of trying to be a triple A game it wasn't afraid to play out the quieter moments. Was very impressed with the dialogue, although Last of Us was no slouch here, this was a step above. Short by very sweet.

Not sure why I started playing Loco Roco but I finished it anyway. Weird Japanese game with annoying music! Didn't bother trying to collect everything in each level. It's a passable game although I wouldn't really recommend it.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4
    Kona| PlayStation 4
    Abzu| PlayStation 4
    Vampyr| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Loco Roco| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)

It always felt like it was another game they decided merge into an AC one to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

[Xbox One]

Borderlands 3 (DLC) Moxxi's Heist of the Handsome Jackpot

I really enjoyed this DLC and the main game and managed to get all the achievements. I actually thought B3 was a let down compared to previous games but that is not the case it is just as good and looks better and has better mechanics. With Mayhem mode I didn't bother a second play through and it is really easy to get money in this game. I have a tonne of legendary gear and a good few million in the bank and all Marcus' upgrades bought. I also have eridium that I do not know what to do with. And a tonne of golden keys that I also do not know what to do with due to it being easier to get legendary items by just playing the game with mayhem mode activated.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Metro Exodus - Ps4
    Devil may cry 5 - ps4
    Yakuza 6 - ps4

Advertisement