Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you just "don't get"?

• 17-12-2019 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Tis the season and all that, people buying presents and all the shopping on overkill.

Wandering around a few shops yesterday it struck me that there are some very popular items/things that I just "don't get". I don't understand the popularity.

I could name loads of things, but I'll stick to two: phones and televisions.

Phones... Madness to me. 500 and 600 and 700 plus quid for a phone. For what?!

I'll buy myself a phone for around 100 quid, job done for years. It will take good pictures, good videos, loads of storage, use the Internet. Job done.

So why are people spending 10 times more on such a basic tool? Oh it can load a Web page 0.0000000007 nano seconds faster? Wow! It has multiple lens to take a picture? Phwooar!

Nah, just don't get it. Whatsoever.

Televisions are the same to me. Big television, very nice.

Spend an extra thousand quid to go from "4k" to "8k"? Crazy. I'm looking at the display televisions on shops, and I don't think I'd notice a difference even if I had a magnifying glass.

I just don't get it.

I understand paying more for a couple extra features, but literally multiples of the price? Nah, it's barking mad.

What don't ye "get" over the silly season? Or are you barking mad too? Woof!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Have you tried having a nap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Cranberry sauce on Turkey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Tis the season alright......for poxy threads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Tis the season alright......for poxy threads

Harvey Norman pr doing damage control in here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Herpes.

• Advertisement

Tammy! wrote: »
    Cranberry sauce on Turkey

So you're barking mad then :p

Ham and mustard, cranberry and Turkey, some things were meant to be

Herpes.

This year's "hot item"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Those pod coffee machines

what the hell are they about? - like, why would you spend a fortune on a machine so's you can spend a fortune on little pots of crap coffee? Little pots that are apparently a pain in the ass to recycle.

Buy decent beans, a grinder and an aeropress.

There, now you have good coffee and you're not knee-deep in stupid little pots!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

iPhones are the only phones that do accessibility properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's not butter.....

Why is the sky blue....

What's a tracker mortgage....

Gender fluidity.....

• Advertisement

B0jangles wrote: »
    Those pod coffee machines

what the hell are they about? - like, why would you spend a fortune on a machine so's you can spend a fortune on little pots of crap coffee? Little pots that are apparently a pain in the ass to recycle.

Buy decent beans, a grinder and an aeropress.

There, now you have good coffee and you're not knee-deep in stupid little pots!

Very good example!

Here's a way to make an everyday thing, but with severe limitations for inconvenience.

Imagine a tea machine a la father Ted, bit you can only use Barry's tea forever. Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Greta Thunberg and all of that nonsense.

Literally PR people running her whole life for her. It's a child not making one decision for herself - It's like a weird project for odd people running her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

beejee wrote: »
    Tis the season and all that, people buying presents and all the shopping on overkill.

Wandering around a few shops yesterday it struck me that there are some very popular items/things that I just "don't get". I don't understand the popularity.

I could name loads of things, but I'll stick to two: phones and televisions.

Phones... Madness to me. 500 and 600 and 700 plus quid for a phone. For what?!

I'll buy myself a phone for around 100 quid, job done for years. It will take good pictures, good videos, loads of storage, use the Internet. Job done.

So why are people spending 10 times more on such a basic tool? Oh it can load a Web page 0.0000000007 nano seconds faster? Wow! It has multiple lens to take a picture? Phwooar!

Nah, just don't get it. Whatsoever.

Televisions are the same to me. Big television, very nice.

Spend an extra thousand quid to go from "4k" to "8k"? Crazy. I'm looking at the display televisions on shops, and I don't think I'd notice a difference even if I had a magnifying glass.

I just don't get it.

I understand paying more for a couple extra features, but literally multiples of the price? Nah, it's barking mad.

What don't ye "get" over the silly season? Or are you barking mad too? Woof!
    I would come off them tablets if i were you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

People getting incredibly “worked up” over things that other people do that have nothing to do with them.

The tide is turning…

atticu wrote: »
    iPhones are the only phones that do accessibility properly.

Don't even understand what you're getting at here.

"accessibility"?

Its a phone. A phone is a phone. Is a phone, a phone is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Why people like 'House' so much it just looks like every other American medical drama. ALL the doctors are grumpy in those!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

I don't get poor people starting threads giving out about what they don't have.
    . Only joking, I'm the same as you OP. I would never spend more than 100 on a phone😊

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Tony_Clifton

callaway92 wrote: »
    Greta Thunberg and all of that nonsense.

Literally PR people running her whole life for her. It's a child not making one decision for herself - It's like a weird project for odd people running her life.

its all a hoax, that poor girl is being used

People getting incredibly “worked up” over things that other people do that have nothing to do with them.

Incredibly worked up!

It's the most casual of observations, nothing more. If it were any more casual I'd be asleep.

Like seeing a dog eating it's own shoite, it's weird, but I won't get "incredibly worked up" about it. Worth telling a few people to put them off their dinner though.

Edit: on a second read, that probably wasn't directed at my thread, oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

its all a hoax, that poor girl is being used

100%. It's vile then looking at the droolers latching on her every word. Not one word in a speech has been from her at all.

Actually pisses me off so so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭MMyers

Star wars fans and Chris Nolan Batman marks. I get people are fans of different movies, but the minute you say you don't like Star Wars or the Dark Knight these marks take great offence, kinda sad, but I just don't get the hype around any of those movies, quite boring to me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Tony_Clifton

callaway92 wrote: »
    100%. It's vile then looking at the droolers latching on her every word. Not one word in a speech has been from her at all.

Actually pisses me off so so much.

carbon taxes are the only way to fix any environmental problems, real or imagined

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

beejee wrote: »
    Don't even understand what you're getting at here.

"accessibility"?

Its a phone. A phone is a phone. Is a phone, a phone is.

That is because you don’t use the feature.
    I am just giving you a reason why some people spend more than you on a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

How 'Fast and the Furious' franchise is still going.

Should have been sent to the glue factory after Tokyo Drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭sheroman01

How people think Breaking Bad is one of the best TV shows of all time.

Anything "Kardashian"

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

people who spend every day in a pub. I have an odd drink but spending every day in a pub seems depressing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

How some people are ok with hanging around creeps ..like oh he is my friend when he is obviously just a creep with no boundaries ..

people who stay mates with people like that

atticu wrote: »
    That is because you don’t use the feature.
    I am just giving you a reason why some people spend more than you on a phone.

What does this feature do? It's like a collapsible "tabs" thing or something?

Whatever it is, I don't think I'm missing anything, nothing intuitive anyway Or, more to the point, I don't imagine it's anything worth 8 or 9 or 10 times the cost of the phone I have.

Like 1080p to 4k televisions, perhaps? Yeah, I'll take it for an extra tenner, maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Spoilt kids claiming "I took away their future"...kick in d'arse is what that lot need!

Advertisement