Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanabe Camper Owner

• 13-07-2019 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭ Mylah Tasteless Bonus

Hi I'm the wrong side of 50 with a 5 grand budget. I've never had a camper van before or even camped in one.
    1. Am I too old to consider starting now.
    2. With that budget will I only be buying a pile of trouble.
    All responses welcome. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

1. Am I too old to consider starting now.

Absolutely not. If anything, you may even find yourself a little younger than the average motorhome/camper enthusiast. Seize the day!
    2. With that budget will I only be buying a pile of trouble.

That is always a possibility with any budget. With a bit of due diligence you can find the right van that delivers many years of satisfaction. Dampness, water ingress is the big thing to look out for on older coachbuilt motorhomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Camdec

If I were you I would save some more! Honestly, not trying to put you off, you may be very lucky with your budget and get an ok vehicle but be wary!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭ Mylah Tasteless Bonus

Thanks for the replies. At this stage I'm planning to be on the road for next spring.
    I have in mind a VW transporter van. Would that be suitable for two ?
    Would I be better buying a van and getting it kitted out or buy one that's already a camper ?
    Would anyone have a rough idea of what it would cost to get that sized van kitted out ?
    Also is it difficult to get a van changed from commercial to camper on the log book ?
    Sorry for all the questions, thanks advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

Do you know what you're hoping to do? Weeks away in a motorhome or weekends in a campervan?
    VW Transporter sizes are fine for two people but most won't have showers or toilets so really are weekend vans unless you're planning on always staying on proper serviced campsites.
    At €5 budget you'll be looking at older vehicles - are you mechanically minded?
    I would look at a Mazda Bongo if I were you, I would think you will need to up your budget by at least the same again if you want to get a serviceable motorhome.

Would be weekends for the most part. Friday evening/Saturday morning till Sunday evening.
    I want to get a small and tidy van as possible for when it's parked and not in use.
    I'd be covered on the mechanical side of things but wouldn't have a clue about how its kitted out. That's why I wondered about buying a van and having it kitted out, or would that be very expensive to do.

• Advertisement

That's why I wondered about buying a van and having it kitted out, or would that be very expensive to do.

You can get the equivalent of flat-pack conversions online for a couple of hundred (close to 1k) and then on top of this you would need to buy electrics, plumbing, cooker, fridge etc but it is doable.

The massive issues (especially with smaller vans) are A getting the conversion formally classified as a campervan (at which point you will have to pay an unknown sum of VRT) and B getting the converted camper insured as a campervan. Even with A done, the insurance companies make-up their own rules about walkways between the cab and body or internal head room, which have no basis in law.

My advice would be to either get a van that is already registered as a camper or else buy a van and kit it out but don't bother getting it reclassified (you would need van insurance in this instance which may also involve complications).

Best of luck.

Thanks for the information. I can see already this is going to be a lot more fun than I anticipated.
    If I buy one already registered as a camper how difficult is it to get insured. Are there many companies that do them.

Thanks for the information. I can see already this is going to be a lot more fun than I anticipated.
    If I buy one already registered as a camper how difficult is it to get insured. Are there many companies that do them.

It should be doable but nothing is gauranteed and you might have to go through the ombudsman.

As far as I'm aware the options are:
    Dolmens,
    Stuarts,
    Richardsons (sometimes require you to be a MCC member),

If older than 20 years you can insure as a vintage:
    https://www.iveta.ie/index.php/insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Thanks for the replies. At this stage I'm planning to be on the road for next spring.
    I have in mind a VW transporter van. Would that be suitable for two ?
    Would I be better buying a van and getting it kitted out or buy one that's already a camper ?
    Would anyone have a rough idea of what it would cost to get that sized van kitted out ?
    Also is it difficult to get a van changed from commercial to camper on the log book ?
    Sorry for all the questions, thanks advance.

I saw a nice little VW for sale for about 7 and a half thou only last week. Thirty years old but running well (they said)

pm if you want me to track down details

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

If you're looking for a tidy van that's reliable on your budget I would second the bongo suggestion. I love vws but couldn't say they are as reliable or rust resistant as the bongo unless you can get one that someone has babied, waxoyled etc. VW probably does have the advantage in terms of availability of parts if something does go wrong and service parts are available at all qualities and all budgets. You definitely want a pop top for Irish weather.A couple of rainy days unable to stand up in a tin top and you'll be needing a chiropractor 😜

• Advertisement

If you're looking for a tidy van that's reliable on your budget I would second the bongo suggestion. I love vws but couldn't say they are as reliable or rust resistant as the bongo unless you can get one that someone has babied, waxoyled etc. VW probably does have the advantage in terms of availability of parts if something does go wrong and service parts are available at all qualities and all budgets. You definitely want a pop top for Irish weather.A couple of rainy days unable to stand up in a tin top and you'll be needing a chiropractor ��

Bongos are no stranger to rust either and the cooling system can cause problems if not minded but parts are readily available online through the likes of bongospares or mazdabongo.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

One other comment on vw Vs bongo and getting parts. There's a very big vw supplier here in Ireland (eir cooled) while all the bongo suppliers are UK based. Getting parts may be less straight forward/cheap after Brexit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

VW T4 and T5 parts can still be bought at a main dealer. The VW community is huge and the availability of aftermarket parts is huge.

@ Amstel: Are you too old for a camper ? Absolutely not ! They are a fantastic way to travel, be it around Ireland or abroad. Mazda Bongo and VW Transporter sized campervans have the added benefit of being able to book them on as a car on the ferry, therefore cheaper.
    I would say, which ever make you go for, buy the best that you can afford.

Thanks for all the replies all input is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭RINO87

VW T4 and T5 parts can still be bought at a main dealer. The VW community is huge and the availability of aftermarket parts is huge.

@ Amstel: Are you too old for a camper ? Absolutely not ! They are a fantastic way to travel, be it around Ireland or abroad. Mazda Bongo and VW Transporter sized campervans have the added benefit of being able to book them on as a car on the ferry, therefore cheaper.
    I would say, which ever make you go for, buy the best that you can afford.

Hi sorry hi-jacking the thread here! I did not know this! Is this also true for factory built high tops? 92 VW westfailia for example. Not my van, but I do have use of it and had not even considered ferry due to costs, thanks.

RINO87 wrote: »
    Hi sorry hi-jacking the thread here! I did not know this! Is this also true for factory built high tops? 92 VW westfailia for example. Not my van, but I do have use of it and had not even considered ferry due to costs, thanks.

I doubt the high top would qualify as Stena mention a height of 2m. Mine is a standard low roof T5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Check the ferry prices they drop like a stone in September and it's still nice in France but I'd recommend early September as it's end of season if France and come the end of the month a lot of places are closed

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Itineoman

Check the ferry prices they drop like a stone in September and it's still nice in France but I'd recommend early September as it's end of season if France and come the end of the month a lot of places are closed

As an aside, We once did a late October trip with our then young children about ten years ago to France taking the last of the last of the season's ferries home at Halloween. It was one of the nicest ever. Waking up in blue sky frosty mornings and crunching through ice in a quiet and echoing square in Monpazier. Eight year old getting to make a drawing and have it put up on the wall of the restaurant next to the original of the artist she had seen and copied it from. The Dordogne and Lascaux caves without any need to book tickets beforehand.
    Halloween with trick and treaters at nightfall in Dinan. Clear and crisp weather, lovely food, tourists ( apart from us ) all gone home.
    We've been to France a lot of times with the van and have traveled extensively but this remains as one of my favourite trips.

Edit: Forgot why I replied in the first place - the ferry was about one third of the summer fare..

July and August are peak season as regards sailing to France. Hence the price dropping in September. Campsite site discount cards, such as ACSI, are usually void between July and August also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Its not a given that a camper will cost more than a car on a ferry, particularly to France.

Just back from a trip across in a 6 birth coach built motorhome in high season and I doubt it'd have been any cheaper in a car based on previous years where we travelled by car.

The year we got the camper, I had the ferry booked with the car before buying the camper and when I changed the vehicle to the camper, I got a partial refund, never quite figured out how that happened, but it reinforces the point that there isn't necessarily an extra premium on the camper.

Back to the options for the OP, if considering a conversion, a passenger variant of the van will have most likely payed significant VRT already which will be counted against any liability upon changing the registration to a camper.

A vehicle that hasn't been mentioned is the Hyundai Montana or i800, the passenger version of the H100 van which is similar size to the T4/T5 transporter. There are pop tops available and I presume some off the shelf conversion kits, you could end up with a much fresher van at your budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Spend a few quid renting a camper first , that’ll bring you up to speed very quickly, and in all likelihood you’ll save back the rental free through what you learn , by buying better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If you're planning to travel in continental Europe, be careful about buying "old but reliable". There is an ever-growing number of towns and cities across western Europe where pollution controls/low emission zones mean that you won't be able to park anywhere near the centre, regardless of how compact the 'van is, and even if you can, chances are you'll need a windscreen sticker just to enter the central zone. You'll also need to make sure you keep under 3.5t to avoid pay-as-you-go pollution charges on motorways in central Europe.

Cities are the last place I'd want to be when abroad in the camper.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Its not a given that a camper will cost more than a car on a ferry, particularly to France.

Just back from a trip across in a 6 birth coach built motorhome in high season and I doubt it'd have been any cheaper in a car based on previous years where we travelled by car.

The year we got the camper, I had the ferry booked with the car before buying the camper and when I changed the vehicle to the camper, I got a partial refund, never quite figured out how that happened, but it reinforces the point that there isn't necessarily an extra premium on the camper.

Back to the options for the OP, if considering a conversion, a passenger variant of the van will have most likely payed significant VRT already which will be counted against any liability upon changing the registration to a camper.

A vehicle that hasn't been mentioned is the Hyundai Montana or i800, the passenger version of the H100 van which is similar size to the T4/T5 transporter. There are pop tops available and I presume some off the shelf conversion kits, you could end up with a much fresher van at your budget.

Not a huge difference: €578 for a car going this Sept and €648 for a motorhome (up to 7m) - Brittany Ferries, Cork - Roscoff for September.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Cities are the last place I'd want to be when abroad in the camper.

Nothing better than knowing exactly what standard of accommodation you're going to get when doing a bit of urban sightseeing! And knowing that you'll be able to make tea/have breakfast no matter what time you check in or out. ;) The best combination of site and sights I've ever had was in Antwerp: riverside location, 5 minutes walk from the city centre. Alas, that's one example that's now closed off to me, as the relevant carpark is 2km inside the LEZ. :(

Nothing better than knowing exactly what standard of accommodation you're going to get when doing a bit of urban sightseeing! And knowing that you'll be able to make tea/have breakfast no matter what time you check in or out. ;) The best combination of site and sights I've ever had was in Antwerp: riverside location, 5 minutes walk from the city centre. Alas, that's one example that's now closed off to me, as the relevant carpark is 2km inside the LEZ. :(

Antwerp ! The first time I stayed was years back with the motorbike and tent. And it was indeed a riverside campsite too ! I have stayed there in recent years too (even last January) - I'll never forget the city centre pub: Bier Central. They have a massive selection of local beers and it would blow the head off you !!

With regards to cities, I try to stay outside and get public transport in. We done that in Lille at Christmas as it worked out great.

Mine is a standard low roof T5.

Hi is the standard T5 high enough to get camper insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Hi is the standard T5 high enough to get camper insurance
    If it is a proper camper and you have a car in the road then contact Dolmen insurance and ask them have photos ready to send. It also have to be a camper on the log book

If it is a proper camper

Stupid question probably but I'm new to this. How do you tell if it's a proper camper ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 godathunder

sorry if this seems a bit late to the party and opportunistic, especially given the current state of the world. please delete my post if so.

I have a 1981 vw westfalia joker Ive owned for the last 15 years or so that Im looking to sell at a little above your budget

if youre still looking and interested feel free to private message me to discuss further

Advertisement