Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The compost heap - off topic thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Kill Cook Eat.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

kylith wrote: »
    Hit two bags last week with the intention of getting more, cos I reckon i’m Gonna need a lot. That’s me scuppered unless Lidl start stocking it again.

For just a sec I thought I was in AH... That post would have meant something entirely different in there....

Kill Cook Eat.

:eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Kill Cook Eat.

You're looking at Swine 'Flu at the very least

• Registered Users Posts: 27,999 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well the swine would be a bit sick alright. My first thought was bacon!

I ordered some stuff from Future Forests, and they closed the next day! They said they will deliver what has been ordered but then they are not even doing mail order. Then I realised that without some form of protection all my new trees would be rabbit food, so frantic search on line and I have found a farming site that delivers, so I have managed to order some chicken wire to protect the baby trees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Had my garden ploughed yesterday and he'll be back to rotavate it this week.
    My local sheep farmer was up to spread fertilizer on the field he's renting off me and spread a bit on the garden.
    He's to drop me a few trailers of manure.
    I also got a delivery of wood chips last week from a local tree surgeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭secman

Spent the whole weekend in the garden as cycling was off the agenda :(
    Normally a 3/4 acre site can be hard work to maintain over a weekend but was so glad of it. Cut back a boundary hedge which are really trees but cut back hard every spring. Shredded the cuttings and mixed with layers of grass in the compost bins with plenty of chicken manure and doses of urine..good agitators.. and also all the veg peels too.

Bins full to the brim now, but every weekend they will noticeably drop in volume as it begins to cook. This is my 6th year to do it, great satisfaction when they are ready for the beds, best of stuff and plants love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Are there any Irish gardening shops doing deliveries of seeds/plants/etc at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

RonanC wrote: »
    Are there any Irish gardening shops doing deliveries of seeds/plants/etc at the moment?
    quickcrop.ie will be back online on friday. They are doing a catch-up for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭scarepanda

RonanC wrote: »

I got a delivery from seedaholic last week. They are Galway based. They only do seeds though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭finla

I got a delivery from gardenshop.ie last week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife ordered from mr. middleton last week, and strangely got a notification that the items will be delivered today. we're not holding our breath.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

whaddya know, it just arrived. might have been put in the system before the lockdown though.

God knows what might be the outlook but something that might need to be done is a two day shop window for Nurseries and DIY places under strict guidance obviously. The local growers are going to be put out of business if this goes on very long.

yeah, the BBC is carrying a story that millions of plants might end up being binned.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52098436

Ah the immense satisfaction of succeeding in putting up a greenhouse/polytunnel with a couple of false starts - in mitigation in one place the instructions were vague and in another they were plain wrong. Anyway we finally figured it out. I reckon if we get a season out of it we will be lucky. It might help us decide if we want a 'proper' greenhouse though. Its a Topline, Proplus gardening Premium Polytunnel greenhouse. If this is premium I wouldn't want to be stuck with a standard one!

When life gets back to normal I will try and get some waterproof Mammoth transparent tape and seal the seams, it also needs a bit more flap on the bottom to dig in, I think I could do that with duck/duct tape and polythene from the inside.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Pics, please! :)

Ok, pics tomorrow! It doesn't look very pretty at the moment as the ground is all dug up and scruffy around it, but we did find a couple of old tables/ structures to provided seed shelf areas. And I stapled the small flap at the bottom onto strips of timber (with tape to stop it tearing the plastic) then buried and weighted down the timber strip, so I don't think it will unfold itself from the bottom.

looksee wrote: »
    Its a Topline, Proplus gardening Premium Polytunnel greenhouse. If this is premium I wouldn't want to be stuck with a standard one!

Looks fairly flimsy alright!
    We started with a plastic covered one from Argos.
    It survived many storms but it was bolted to the ground and to a wall.
    I think we got 2 years out of it .
    The cat used to sharpen her claws on it too :rolleyes:

I started with one of these types of polytunnel too. The most I got from one was 2 years....and that was taking it down over winter too.
    It still did a decent job though. I used short lengths of rebar and bent them over to create pegs from them. I used these to secure it into the ground.

The frame is still used to cover my brassica plants. I bought nettting to keep out butterflies and it sits perfectly over the frame

• Advertisement

Lidl have compost in, three 50ltr bags snaffled up with the morning shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,985 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Lidl have compost in, three 50ltr bags snaffled up with the morning shop.

I thought they werent allowed to sell it....maybe if its part of a much larger food shop they are ok with it.

Dunno but they have all the plants and flowers etc in stock as usual.

So, the greenhouse. Today was a bit breezy, not a gale just March/April breezy (and we are on the side of a mountain, pretty much). So the greenhouse filled out like a balloon and managed to shed the row of mighty rocks down one side. So we tied and pinned it all back down again, then found a monolith that we put inside and roped the frame to as the entire frame was lifting. We then faffed about putting all kinds of greenhousy things into it then went in for lunch.

When we came back out one side of the cover had dealt with the limitations by simply ripping out the numerous staples, the timber was still tied to the frame but the side was ablowin' in the wind.

So we decided to find another spot for it. Even though we have an acre of garden there are serious limitations on where it could be put for all kinds of complicated layout and exposure reasons. There is one spot though that gets sun and would be rather more sheltered. Only problem was there is a very large heap of large rocks (there are heaps of large rocks all around the place) right where we want to put it. So an energetic afternoon followed shifting rocks. If the weather is calm tomorrow we will do a wholesale removal of the structure. If you don't hear from me again its because we are sailing skyward hanging onto an inflated greenhouse.

Pics! :pac: :D

i have a bag of lawn feed which has instructions on the side on how to apply using the manufacturer's own spreaders.
    one of the spreaders they make is called the 'evergreen wizz year round spreader'.
    i was thinking, i have one of those already.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Can anyone recommend a decent broadcast spreader please? I have a drop spreader that leaves lines after I fertilise despite by best efforts at two passes.

Thanks

Rain! It's raining, amazing how quickly it greens and perks up everything. I'd complain but it's actually really needed and will be replaced by sunny conditions from Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Grass in the field was crunchy under foot yesterday. Today it rained :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how often are you cutting the grass during this lockdown?? every week? every second day?

Advertisement