Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running issues specific to women

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

Bluesquare wrote: »
    I find the opposite - the cycling shorts ride up - well I suppose that means I’m just wearing the baggy knickers .

To be fair they didn’t ride up for while - until washed a bit.
    Oh dear, neither layer rides up on me, no chaffing and I like the look of them.

K I'd say they're not very different to the skirts you wear. Id be interested to try one of them actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I love that style too. Ronhill trail running ones from 3 years ago are my favourite shorts ever. I'm also a sucker for a good running skort. I end up wearing full length leggings a lot of the time lately though!

My favorite ones are WAA Ultra and they have the ultra skirt 2.0 out now and it’s amazing. They are so comfy, don’t budge, decent pocket on the back, and pockets on the legs of the shorts though I wear a flip belt so haventested the pockets on the legs yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

What a fantastic thread! I was trying to remember the name of those Oiselle shorts as spotted them on Annapr recently - they certainly look the biz. What is with sportswear manufacturers and lack of pockets??! I have a pair of Ronhill shorts that I wear a good bit, they have built in underwear which is perfect. No one has mentioned commando yet! I also second Helen's comment on the Penneys seamless underwear, cheap and very comfortable. I don't have to worry too much about running bras, I have one good SA but also a few cheaper ones that do me fine.

I didn't know you could track your cycle on Garmin, I presume just the newer watches though? Not an issue for me any more thanks to my autoimmune disease but I've found healthy eating (as in tons of green veg, lots of colour veg and very little gluten/sugar/processed foods) has big positive impact on hormones.

I'm off to look at the Decathlon and Oiselle websites! I'm sure I definitely need a new pair of shorts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ballybog

Well ladies, inspired by this thread, I ordered shorts from Decathlon and they arrived today. Did a quick 5km run to test them out and they were fab :)
    I have been staying away from the tight fit ones, as thought there is no way I would be seen outside in those, but presto, they were amazing to run in. Stayed in place and didn't ride up
    https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/run-dry-women-s-running-shorts-en-s171556.html

I didn't know you could track your cycle on Garmin, I presume just the newer watches though?

I don’t think the watch matters - it’s on Garmin Connect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I end up wearing full length leggings a lot of the time lately though!

I only run in leggings (have loads of cropped ones though). I have a raised mole/skin tag on my inner thigh that I need to keep covered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ballybog wrote: »
    Well ladies, inspired by this thread, I ordered shorts from Decathlon and they arrived today. Did a quick 5km run to test them out and they were fab :)
    I have been staying away from the tight fit ones, as thought there is no way I would be seen outside in those, but presto, they were amazing to run in. Stayed in place and didn't ride up
    https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/run-dry-women-s-running-shorts-en-s171556.html

Snap! Inspired by this thread, I also ordered shorts from Decathlon, but they're due to be delivered any moment now! Will head out for a run on Saturday to road test them!

Anyone any recommendations for sun block ? I'd like to protect the skin when out running, but feel that most of the sun creams just make me feel sticky ....

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Anyone any recommendations for sun block ? I'd like to protect the skin when out running, but feel that most of the sun creams just make me feel sticky ....

P20 factor 50 is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

What is with sportswear manufacturers and lack of pockets??!
    Yes I can find that this can be an issue, often at shorter races where I'm on my own - where on earth do I put my keys? I have a Renault and it comes as a keycard - I have 2 pairs of shorts that it fits into and that's it. None of my longer bottoms can fit it so I have to wear it slotted into the side of my knickers along the hipband. It usually stays there for about 3km and then starts to move out of place. Otherwise I have tuck it into the side of my bra and that's sweaty and yuk!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

Parasol Sport is good. It's a liquid so it can be a bit messier to put on but once it's dried you don't know it's there. It's waterproof so it stays put despite sweat and/or rain. The only thing is, it's not Factor 50, it's 25+, but I've never been burned when using it, even in half marathons and very long training runs - and I burn very easily!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Yes I can find that this can be an issue, often at shorter races where I'm on my own - where on earth do I put my keys? I have a Renault and it comes as a keycard - I have 2 pairs of shorts that it fits into and that's it. None of my longer bottoms can fit it so I have to wear it slotted into the side of my knickers along the hipband. It usually stays there for about 3km and then starts to move out of place. Otherwise I have tuck it into the side of my bra and that's sweaty and yuk!!

Fanny bag. Apparently they are back in fashion!

I wear a flip belt no matter what shorts / leggings / skirt I’m wearing to run so never worry about pockets. I keep my parkrun card in it and an emergency €5 and generally carry my phone and car key too. I’d feel weird without it at this stage and it’s so handy never having to think about pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Have you considered the ‘car key on back tyre’ solution? Seriously, when it’s too awkward to carry, just don’t carry it! (What’s the worst that could happen, apart from car stolen and no money for taxi?) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Seesee wrote: »
    Fanny bag. Apparently they are back in fashion!
    I'm not very fashionable!!
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    I wear a flip belt no matter what shorts / leggings / skirt I’m wearing to run so never worry about pockets. I keep my parkrun card in it and an emergency €5 and generally carry my phone and car key too. I’d feel weird without it at this stage and it’s so handy never having to think about pockets.
    I have a flipbelt but I'd never think of using it for anything less than 10k as I don't really need anything else with me. But I really should think of it more, I should be getting more use of it, it cost enough!
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Have you considered the ‘car key on back tyre’ solution? Seriously, when it’s too awkward to carry, just don’t carry it! (What’s the worst that could happen, apart from car stolen and no money for taxi?) :D
    Never thought of that. I actually really like my car, it was a bargain and I'd never get as good for that price again - so I don't really want it robbed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Murph_D wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: no, never, not in this city certainly!! Surely that's the first place a thief would look???

I use one of the cheaper versions of the flip-belt, find it very good and it stores my phone, car keys and lip balm :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

P20 factor 50 is great.

Stings like hell if it gets in your eyes. Put it on your forehead and with sweat and this will happen. Think there was a suggestion in a log before to put vaseline around your eyebrows to prevent this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

The best suncream for your face is a zinc oxide based one. It won't sting your eyes and is suitable for sensitive skin. A lot of brands are making it now as its considered safer than "chemical" based ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: no, never, not in this city certainly!! Surely that's the first place a thief would look???

I think the vast majority of car thieves don't bother to look for the keys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

chickey2 wrote: »
    The best suncream for your face is a zinc oxide based one. It won't sting your eyes and is suitable for sensitive skin. A lot of brands are making it now as its considered safer than "chemical" based ones.

Does anyone else think suncream makes them sweat more? I always wonder if I have it all sweated off.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sunriserun

Hi Annie get your run on, I know it’s so annoying having shorts without pockets!!!! I tie my car key onto the drawstring of my shorts, it’s inside the shorts and you can double knot it to make sure it doesn’t fall off. It doesn’t dig into me but if it did you could cut a little hole in the liner and tuck it in there? I’ve tied it onto my shoelaces before and tucked it inside the lacing of the shoe but I found I kept looking down checking on it!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I use one of the cheaper versions of the flip-belt, find it very good and it stores my phone, car keys and lip balm :)

You can get copies of them on Wish for €3 + €5 shipping. I'm sure they aren't as good as the real thing but they do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I got this recently for storing all my stuff during runs, working well so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Anybody get shortness of breath as a pmt symptom? I swear my asthma is worse in the week before - my heart rate goes up and I’m struggling for breadth - but the min the witch arrives gone !

Side note : I was lucky to race yesterday on day 1 of my cycle . All my major pbs have been at this time bar none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Anybody get shortness of breath as a pmt symptom? I swear my asthma is worse in the week before - my heart rate goes up and I’m struggling for breadth - but the min the witch arrives gone !

Side note : I was lucky to race yesterday on day 1 of my cycle . All my major pbs have been at this time bar none.

I've been short of breath this week and had pmt! I thought the shortness of breath was because the pollen count was high. I'll make a note of it though.

Paula Radcliffe ran a marathon World record on day one of her cycle. Stacy Sims reckons it's because of the hormone changes your body knows your not pregnant so you can push yourself further.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Until a couple of years ago my cycle was very unpredictable. Mine arrived 2 days before Ironman in 2015. Thankfully day 3 is light for me...
    I've done a marathon on day one too. That didn't go well for other reasons though :(

chickey2 wrote: »
    I've been short of breath this week and had pmt! I thought the shortness of breath was because the pollen count was high. I'll make a note of it though.

Paula Radcliffe ran a marathon World record on day one of her cycle. Stacy Sims reckons it's because of the hormone changes your body knows your not pregnant so you can push yourself further.

Ironically - it’s when your most like a man ! It felt like Alien possession . If you could just fake those exact level of hormones when you needed it most . I’m rattling with all the supplements advised by Stacey for PmT. I’m ok 2/3 days before it’s the 7 days before that everything is much tougher .

Until a couple of years ago my cycle was very unpredictable. Mine arrived 2 days before Ironman in 2015. Thankfully day 3 is light for me...
    I've done a marathon on day one too. That didn't go well for other reasons though :(

How did the iron man go ? And respect for doing an iron man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Ironically - it’s when your most like a man ! It felt like Alien possession . If you could just fake those exact level of hormones when you needed it most . I’m rattling with all the supplements advised by Stacey for PmT. I’m ok 2/3 days before it’s the 7 days before that everything is much tougher .

I got the book an early Birthday present :) Its brilliant but so much to take in :eek:

Ironically my HM on saturday was 7 days before mine :eek: which would explaine why I suffered so badly in the heat :(

Advertisement