Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Birds of Prey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I don't particularly like Robbie's Harley Quinn (the original animated one is much better), but I quite enjoyed this and thought Robbie was a lot better here than in Suicide Squad. It helped a lot, though, that action was done by the same people who did John Wick. I thought the action was better filmed than anything Marvel has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,972 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I don't particularly like Robbie's Harley Quinn (the original animated one is much better), but I quite enjoyed this and thought Robbie was a lot better here than in Suicide Squad. It helped a lot, though, that action was done by the same people who did John Wick. I thought the action was better filmed than anything Marvel has done.

Agree with this - apart from the bold part. The action was much better in this movie but wouldn't go as far as that statement.

About 7 or 8 jokes landed in this movie. I think zero landed in Suicide Squad.

I wouldn't be rushing out to see it again but it was a solid enough movie for DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Couldn't get through that...

Anyway, I enjoyed the film. I see some table for 1 men getting catty at what they see as a female centric movie that excludes them. It's quite hilarious with all the male centric action films where the women are side lined or written terribly they don't bat an eye but the moment you have one action chick flick the toys are out of the pram.

Dont think it has anything to do with sexism to be fair. Its just not a good movie. And I would guess it would still be pretty bad had it been a team of lads instead of girls. A good film stands on its own merits, regardless of what gender or race or sexual orientation is represented in it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah I agree.

I was really looking forward to Annihilation and then really enjoyed it when I watched it. It having a mainly female cast didn't register for me at all.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Agree with this - apart from the bold part. The action was much better in this movie but wouldn't go as far as that statement.

Marvels CG action is great, but it's CG, so it's easy to just CG up exactly what angle you want and what everyone should be doing. Marvels "realistic" action is sometimes choreographed very well (e.g. Winter Soldier) but it's always filmed with way too many jump cuts and close ups (even when the scene is impressively done in one take).
    Birds of Prey had maybe a few too many slow-mos, but otherwise the action was choreographed really well and was very easy to follow with lots of long and wide shots showing everything thats happening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is appearing online next week, with the increasing number of films being fast tracked to home release due to The Virus That Shall Not be Named.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I thought it was OK for the first hour or so, then it fell apart badly. Another case of a film being cut to pieces where it felt like a whole act was missing.

In regards Black Mask's fate, usually that would annoy me but they made such an awful mess of him that the character won't be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

There are people literally calling the film out for its so called "female agenda".

the Actors in it said it was a Feminist movie, no problem, it wasn't written for me :pac:

https://twitter.com/ThePlaylist/status/1182697883243405312

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

God we men are awful brittle creatures that the mere mention of "feminism" is enough to bring some to apoplexy. I'm not ignorant to the fact modern feminism has morphed a great degree from previous generations' notions of equality and empowerment (IIRC, previous pillars of the movement like Magerat Atwood have got into hot water for saying "the wrong thing").

Haven't seen the film yet and probably will given *waves hands* ya know, the Great Shutdown of 2020 - but read McGregors comments and seem like boilerplate stuff, bigging up a movie for having notions. Given Suicide Squad wrote HQ as a kinda slutty hot mess, male gaze n' all, seems fair game some might persuade "no no, we treat Harley Quinn right this time, honest!". I don't like Margot Robbie's approach by & large, but Suicide Squad was pretty embarassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watched it. Was grand but wouldn't be rushing out to see a Birds of Prey follow up.
    That bit at the end with the 3 of them looked more like a tv show or even a fan made thing. But I think fans might have done a better job of Huntress' costume.

And I hate to bring up the comics as I know this is a different thing, but Cassandra Cain? Maybe they should've used a different character that fit the background. I know there are ones who've come from the streets like Mia Dearden, aka Speedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

pixelburp wrote: »
    God we men are awful brittle creatures that the mere mention of "feminism" is enough to bring some to apoplexy.
    There are people like that, sure, and those people are silly. There are probably far more people bored of the degree to which popular entertainments try to lecture about it, frequently violating "Show, don't tell" in the process, and often while selling their product with a picture of an attractive woman in something impractically tight. It's crass, and it's not entertaining, which defeats the purpose of watching the show/movie/etc in the first place.

I remember reading Tina Fey's autobiography. I really enjoy her work, and if it was often political, that didn't seem as overdone at the time, and anyway was secondary to the comedy. But the autobiography bored me to tears, preaching about stuff that anyone who cared to read it already supported.

To tie this back in to Birds of Prey, I don't care if a movie is feminist or not. I do care if it's entertaining, and by most accounts, BoP is not especially entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its more a heuristic that it is likely to be not a great movie, or are desperate to get their fake twitter audience to sell it which is kind of the same thing. You wont get the people behind Wonder Woman for example to that that their movie is about mysoggyknees

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Watched it tonight and it was all right: bang average but kept its feet on the ground with the stakes. The contrived pop punk, anarchic tone never quite landed though. You just can't make a "F The World" kinda film, bankrolled by a corporation, feel anything less than cynical and forced. And I just do not like Robbie's Harley, for the same reason. Just trying way too hard.

The one bright spark was that you could really tell the difference Chad Stahelski made to the action scenes; the John Wick director brought good staging and choreography to the various set pieces - though even those tried too hard, the pace a smidge slower than the Keanu Reeves films, making the punches feel more telegraphed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Half watched this while working the other night and greatly enjoyed it, enough to want to check it out again properly. Some more flavorsome touches in it than I expected (the bad guy's showcase scene with the three captives is gonna stick with me, and the bit with the coke made me legitimately laugh out loud).

The aesthetic was really strong in a kind of old school TV Batman way I didn't know I'd missed, and I didn't expect to like Rosie Perez's nearly as much as I did. I've seen a lot of comparisons to Deadpool, but for some reason it put me more in mind of Ragnarok.

Same as above, I am a bit puzzled by the use of Cassandra Cain's name for that character though, because everyone else was more or less in the neighbourhood if their comicbook counterparts, but I can live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,696 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Finally watched this the other night... After all the trailers and TV spots and other media just leaving a sour taste, but I was very pleasantly surprised in that I enjoyed the sh*t out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Has this seen a digital release? if so, on what platforms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

I liked suicide squad and was looking forward to this but it was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

The planned Birds of Prey sequel will not be going ahead due to the dismal performance at the box office.

Not really much of a surprise; the film was a big 'aul shoulder shrug, the oncoming Pandemic probably didn't help - being shunted onto digital services was a bit of a death-knell. The whole thing came off a little too "Poochie" anyway, no great loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

yea, it was rubbish.... another DC failure..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

It was fairly poor to be honest, felt like a very forced feminist movie for no reason, turning Harley Quinn into a "I don't need no man" meme. Only redeeming feature of the movie was getting to see Margo Robbie, ill never get bored of that. But if you want to see her true acting talents, where she is actually brilliant and not forced into just looking great, I Tonya is the best movie she has done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

A film I enjoyed but also a mess, I would have liked a sequel with better writing but eh what you gonna do

gibgodsman wrote: »
    It was fairly poor to be honest, felt like a very forced feminist movie for no reason, turning Harley Quinn into a "I don't need no man" meme.

Hasn't Quinn been in popular solo/female team comics for at least a decade now? Gotham City Sirens and the like?

Just because the protagonists are women and the antagonists are men, doesn't make the movie feminist. That's such a weak and boring criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I switched it off after about 20 minutes. The trouble with anarchy is there's just no rules. :pac:
    Rooting for a disturbed violent anti-hero is a tough ask, and could have been do-able, but this just seemed too... cartoonish, like a live-action Itchy and Scratchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'm sure they'll dry their tears on that pile of money Joker got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I finally got around to seeing this and Jesus, where to start?

I suppose the best thing i can say is it (mostly) carried a consistant tone throughout. Margot Robbie is a fine actor and Harley is grand in small doses, but she absoloutly cannot carry a film. Ella Jay Basco (Cassandra Cain) was awful and just mumbled her way through the film. She's so unlike her comic book namesake i'm not really sure why they used it. Huntress has about six minutes of screentime...it's a joke, she has better character development in her two or three episodes of Arrow. Jurnee Smollett (black Canary) is just kind of...there. Rosie Perez i thought was more or less okay but she's about twenty years too old for the roll.

I found Ewan Mcgregor entertining at least, but save for that one scene where he makes a random girl dance on the table, in no way treathening.

The film was full of gaps in logic across the board...
    My presumed association with Joker keeps me safe, let's do a big, public EFF YOU! to him...
    Everyone (somehow) knows that i'm the only person who knows where Harley lives, but nobody thinks to look in the apartment directly above my shop, also, i'll wait until *after* my betrayel is revealed to make my escape...
    Crash your motorbike to give a rollerblade girl a marginal speed boost instead of using the clearly faster motorbike to catch up to the car...
    I also see the annonamous henchmen graduated from the school of getting right in your face before attempting to pull their guns.

Funny thing is, as much as people justafiably criticise the DCEU, the films usually make bank. I think this is the first one to actually flop.

The worst thing about this film is that there was clearly already a BOP script that was gutted and canabilised after Suicide Squad landed and everyone went gaga over Robbie.

Advertisement