Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Why not?!

I just don't think it would be a fitting end to one of the main characters in the story. If it was someone brought in during this trilogy, it woulnd't be as bad, but she was one of the main characters in this arc and holds a very important place in the hearts of a lot of fans (even after her awful scenes in the last one).

Call me sentimental, but it'd feel wrong to just have some text saying she's dead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

judeboy101 wrote: »
    What success? The lando I knew was a man's man. The one Howard directed was feminazis' man, designed by a committee of females who shop exclusively at 'women and women first'.

Moi8Rpr.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What success? The lando I knew was a man's man. The one Howard directed was feminazis' man, designed by a committee of females who shop exclusively at 'women and women first'.

The Lando I knew was a cameo character with a penchant for capes & a bald robot slave. Let's not get carried away because Billy Dee Williams is a charismatic actor. You could fit Lando's biography on a postage stamp.

Oh wait, sorry it's Star Wars. Go ahead, get carried away.

Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case, well done :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

pixelburp wrote: »
    The Lando I knew was a cameo character with a penchant for capes & a bald robot slave. Let's not get carried away because Billy Dee Williams is a charismatic actor. You could fit Lando's biography on a postage stamp.

Rhett butler wore a cape and had slaves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    Kiith wrote: »
    I just don't think it would be a fitting end to one of the main characters in the story. If it was someone brought in during this trilogy, it woulnd't be as bad, but she was one of the main characters in this arc and holds a very important place in the hearts of a lot of fans (even after her awful scenes in the last one).

Call me sentimental, but it'd feel wrong to just have some text saying she's dead.

If the alternative is some crap scene leftover from TFA and some CGI I'd say having her die off screen is a lesser evil.

Also you wouldn't have just the opening crawl txt, you could have a very touching funeral scene etc. There are definitely ways around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Richard E Grant being linked to play
    Thrawn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Does anyone feel like that Lando is being shoehorned into the film due to the success of Lando in Solo ?

No because we haven't seen Episode IX yet. Way too early to comment on it.

Clearly you didn't "know" Lando very well because he is a ladies man, not a "man's man".
    Moi8Rpr.jpg

2csza09v0ci1000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Lobot wasn't a robot.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I'll wait until I see how it's written and how competent the CGI is before giving a final verdict, but for now, I'm pleased they're not going with killing her off in the scroll— Leia was a central character who was beloved by the audience, and she deserves a good send-off.

...Of course, if they can't pull off a believable inclusion of her either with CGI or old footage or some combination, it doesn't count as "a good send-off", and they'd probably have been better to open the movie with her funeral or something.

It doesn't dampen my excitement for the movie any, though— if anything, I'm more excited to see how well it works.

(And even if it doesn't work, I'll probably still be glad they tried, because if they hadn't, I'd have probably complained about it for years.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

The cynicism in this thread, its like a group of taxi drivers standing together in a taxi rank :o

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    The cynicism in this thread, its like a group of taxi drivers standing together in a taxi rank :o

Given how absolutely sh!te TLJ and Solo were I think we are 100% right to be cynical.

Given how absolutely sh!te TLJ and Solo were

I loved TLJ, & felt Solo's biggest crime was that it was only ok. It's all very subjective.
    I think we are 100% right to be cynical.

The Star Wars 'fanbase' has become a far greater threat to Star Wars than George Lucas or Disney at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Who's cynical? It's a fair point of discussion to worry / debate over the small matter of how the story's going to work in Carrie Fisher's passing. The announcement that they're using 'old footage' raises as many questions as it answers, and the shadow of CGI enhancement gives cause for concern - considering almost no movie has yet managed a convincing CGI human.

Star Wars fandom may be a toxic hive of scum and villainy, but doesn't mean every ... negatively infused discussion should be lumped in with the 'no black stormtroopers' or 'Last Jedi gave me herpes' crowd.

Who's cynical? It's a fair point of discussion to worry / debate over the small matter of how the story's going to work in Carrie Fisher's passing.

Of course, it's an important discussion point, but we don't know what unseen material Disney have of Fisher, there could be loads of unused footage for all we know...and yet, in post #3, we get "Abrams is going to screw this up", it's hard not to call that cynical.
    The announcement that they're using 'old footage' raises as many questions as it answers, and the shadow of CGI enhancement gives cause for concern - considering almost no movie has yet managed a convincing CGI human.

Who said anything about a CGI character though? Abrams own words counteract this notion:

"We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII"

I don't feel the above is ambiguous, or leaves wiggle room. They're going to use unseen footage, to close the door on Leia's story. They're not going to recast her, they're not going to recreate her using CGI, they are using unseen footage. They're acknowledging that Leia/Fisher need a sensitive, careful, and fitting conclusion, not one that can be achieved or that would be acceptable to use a CG replacement. Fine, cool, I look forward to seeing how they've chosen to see the saga out.
    Star Wars fandom may be a toxic hive of scum and villainy, but doesn't mean every ... negatively infused discussion should be lumped in with the 'no black stormtroopers' or 'Last Jedi gave me herpes' crowd.

I get not everyone can be pleased, but calls of doom, failure, and all round misery before the first camera even rolls is out and out cynicism. It's unneeded, uncalled for, and frankly, awful to have to soft through.

Of course, it's an important discussion point, but we don't know what unseen material Disney have of Fisher, there could be loads of unused footage for all we know...and yet, in post #3, we get "Abrams is going to screw this up", it's hard not to call that cynical.

Who said anything about a CGI character though? Abrams own words counteract this notion:

Honestly, JJ Abrams is a bullsh*t artist and wouldn't trust a word he says. Between his dissembling with Lost, or outright lies over 'John Harrison' in Star Trek: Into Darkness, I take anything he says with a generous pinch of salt. He's the master of the 'Mystery Box' trope and I'd extend that predilection to his public statements.

He says they won't use a CG character, but how else but through dubbing and/or CGI can they fill the blanks? Unless they propose that she just stands in the corner saying nothing, or by a miracle of chance the Episode IX script perfectly overlaps some convenient footage shot for Episode VII. It asks questions.

Now who knows, maybe the sum total of her appearance is simply to be killed off during the movie, instead of off-screen before the credits roll, but that still feels like a needless inclusion.

Declaring opinions as cynicism and misery isn't particularly friendly or improve discussion over something people obviously feel is a bad idea. Yes, wait n' see is all well and good but the news was announced she'd be in the film - it's hard not to discuss something intentionally disseminated for discussion :)

Declaring opinions as cynicism and misery isn't particularly friendly or improve discussion over something people obviously feel is a bad idea.

What's a bad idea? We don't know anything though, and people are already writing off the film based on assumption, vague guesswork, and emotional bias..., it's entirely valid to call that behavior out as cynical, because it is. It shouldn't be dressed up as valid opinion, certainly not in the context of a mature debate anyway. Please don't misconstrue my posts as attacking peoples valid opinions, that's certainly not what at all what I'm doing. Opinions form the basis of discussion, that's what we're trying to establish here.

What's a bad idea?

Bringing back Leia. Full stop. I'd thought that was clear from most peoples' posts. I think the script should kill her off-screen and let the start of the film be the fallout of her death.

I should point out I actually LIKE Abram's work: MI:3 was great; Fringe remains one of my favourite TV shows; I even have fondness for his less celebrated work like Super 8; etc. But he has tired habits in his approach, and a precedent of waffling non-truths, that makes cynicism - heck, just basic caution - the smart play here.

Now, it's the third, 'final' part of a film series, so it'll take some work by Abrams to cram a Mystery Box into the script, but neither the franchise or director/writer is an unknown quantity here. It's not like people are immediately sh*tting on... say, a Yoda spin-off. Episode IX already has presence :)
    We don't know anything though, and people are already writing off the film based on assumption, vague guesswork, and emotional bias..., it's entirely valid to call that behavior out as cynical, because it is. It shouldn't be dressed up as valid opinion, certainly not in the context of a mature debate anyway. Please don't misconstrue my posts as attacking peoples valid opinions, that's certainly not what at all what I'm doing. Opinions form the basis of discussion, that's what we're trying to establish here.

You say you're not attacking posters, yet the previous sentence claims our 'cynicism' isn't a valid opinion ;) Cynicism is a perfectly valid position to take. You may not like it, its dark caution may rankle, but it's only another notch on the sliding scale between "rank negativity" and "unrealistic hype". Personally, I find hyperventilating "OMG this is going to be amazing!" tedious - the recent Comic Con was like Kryptonite haha - so I'm not unsympathetic to your POV :)

OBVIOUSLY it's all up in the air - given this is already the second director assigned to the production, clearly a lot can still change again - but doesn't mean we can't spitball

Bringing back Leia. Full stop.

There's definite scope for debate there, should it be done off screen, should they reuse unseen footage, and so forth.
    You say you're not attacking posters, yet the previous sentence claims our 'cynicism' isn't a valid opinion ;)

So writing off the film before shooting even begins is valid? In the Films forum? Has Disney taken over here too? :D
    OBVIOUSLY it's all up in the air - given this is already the second director assigned to the production, clearly a lot can still change again - but doesn't mean we can't spitball

I'll stop rocking the boat, I personally find the constant "Disney ruined my childhood", "this is going to be crap", "JJ will ruin this", "they're lying, I bet they're going to use a full on CG Leia" stuff as not very worthy of discussion.

There's definite scope for debate there, should it be done off screen, should they reuse unseen footage, and so forth.

So writing off the film before shooting even begins is valid? In the Films forum? Has Disney taken over here too? :D

Uhm. Actually, TBH dude, I just had a quick flick across the thread and don't see anyone 'writing off' the film. In fact most related chat is broadly a "wait n' see" variation mixed with thoughts on how they'll use Leia in the story - a bit of snark all right with Sopranos comparisons, but I'm not now sure who you're actually angry at here? :confused::)

By all accounts this thread has been quite tame and open ended; I mean have you seen the Last Jedi thread? :D

Uhm. Actually, TBH dude, I just had a quick flick across the thread and don't see anyone 'writing off' the film.

Post #3 below sets the tone :D (I've edited out the non misery bits :P)
    They are full of it. This is basically CGI Leia confirmed...Abrams is going to screw this up.

I think Slydice and Drumpot hit the nail on the head :D
    Slydice wrote: »
    The shround of the thread discontent has fallen. Begun the Episode IX discussion has!
    Drumpot wrote: »
    I predict there will be plenty of respectful conversations with people calmly discussing the direction Disney are taking the franchise....
    I'm not now sure who you're actually angry at here? :confused::)

Who's angry? :confused:
    By all accounts this thread has been quite tame and open ended; I mean have you seen the Last Jedi thread? :D

Nah, checked out of that thread a long time ago, something about a wretched hive of scum and villainy comes to mind :D

• Advertisement

Post #3 below sets the tone :D (I've edited out the non misery bits :P)

Right, well let's agree to disagree 'cos I think one swallow doesn't make a summer here, and the thread's been fine otherwise :) Snarky, not scarcely the trough of despair you seem to think it is.

What's a bad idea? We don't know anything though, and people are already writing off the film based on assumption,

You sound like David75 :eek:

I haven't seen anyone write off this film yet.

However I do see people disagreeing with bringing Leia and Lando back and expressing doubt over the potentially quality of the story and execution of the film.

Perfectly OK IMO, this is a discussion forum isn't it, for a film that's not out for 18 months :D

Snarky, not scarcely the trough of despair you seem to think it is.

Perhaps not, yet. Though sure as the force being with a Skywalker, this thread will rival a Mos Eisley canteena before long...:o
    You sound like David75 :eek:

Interesting, who is this David75 chap? He sounds like a nice person to have a reasoned debate with :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I wasn't writing off the film, just the use of CGI Leia, which lets be clear is exactly what they are doing here. Yes, it may be more augmented CGI than full CGI like Tarkin, but it's still CGI. What annoys me is that they said Leia wouldn't be in the film but have now done a complete 180.

As I've noted, though, there appears to be plenty of footage leftover from TFA that could be used to construct a decent performance with some CGI help, I just hope they don't go overboard with it and only use it at the end of the film where it will cause least distraction, but I'm very sceptical that's what they'll do.

I wasn't writing off the film, just the use of CGI Leia

Ah, my bad, apologies then I misread your post.
    which lets be clear is exactly what they are doing here. Yes, it may be more augmented CGI than full CGI like Tarkin, but it's still CGI.

Why though? Do you mean to digitally take Leia out of the physical surroundings of the unseen footage shots, and place her in a more fitting environment? Or do you mean they'll actually alter her appearance? The former is probably a given (and perfectly fine imo), but what evidence suggests the latter is probable? There'd be almost universal backlash for messing with the appearance of Fisher, I find it hard to believe they'll do it.
    As I've noted, though, there appears to be plenty of footage leftover from TFA that could be used to construct a decent performance with some CGI help, I just hope they don't go overboard with it and only use it at the end of the film where it will cause least distraction, but I'm very sceptical that's what they'll do.

I reckon they'll do the smart thing, and construct a scene that plays to the strengths of whatever footage they have left, and it'll be short, meaningful, and sweet. I honestly can't see them going down any other path.

I reckon they'll do the smart thing, and construct a scene that plays to the strengths of whatever footage they have left, and it'll be short, meaningful, and sweet. I honestly can't see them going down any other path.

All recent evidence to the contrary :( I wouldn't have confidence that's what they'll do.

Smarter thing would be to have her die in opening crawl and kick off film with touching funeral scene etc. Maybe opening shot being her coffin in space shooting out of a spaceship and then amazing sweeping shot with music through ship etc. You could do it in a really great way and then get on with the story.

Remember the fan outrage and dismay when they announced Solo?! Look what happened...

The smarter way to do it is debatable, even from this thread there are folks who feel an opening crawl announcement would be jarring. Others, feel differently obviously. Personally, I'd prefer to see it in an opening crawl announcement, as opposed to having to deal with the difficulties of setting it up on screen. That said, does it have to be set up on screen? What I mean by that is, what's to say Leia has to die? How do we know the unseed speech they have of her, isn't someone very fitting for the end or near the end of the film, and the best tribute they feel for Leia/Fisher, is to have her remain alive, and therefore, forever alive in our hearts and minds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Interesting, who is this David75 chap? He sounds like a nice person to have a reasoned debate with :D

Wouldnt get much of a debate, you could have Darth Vader reading the newspaper on a toilet seat for 2 hours and he would say its the best movie ever. :pac:

But eh, i think hes banned now :(

Oh and opening a star wars movie with a funeral wouldnt be the Disney thing to do :D

Why though? Do you mean to digitally take Leia out of the physical surroundings of the unseen footage shots, and place her in a more fitting environment? Or do you mean they'll actually alter her appearance? The former is probably a given (and perfectly fine imo), but what evidence suggests the latter is probable? There'd be almost universal backlash for messing with the appearance of Fisher, I find it hard to believe they'll do it.

They'll have to alter her appearance otherwise she'll be wearing the exact same outfit and hairstyle as TFA and it will be obvious as hell that they are just using deleted scenes. They'll also be integrating her footage into new scenes featuring the main characters and that may require CGI to change her mouth movements, etc. Even if they cut around that, there's still going to be a lot of CGI involved and the audience will be watching for it.

I'll remind everyone of what the last attempt to CGI augment an actor looked like:

cavill_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqVkR74_kydjgeTPIib1rsJ6x30VG81Iu4g0V5oSrMhqQ.jpg?imwidth=450

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Lando's back!

Advertisement