Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!

• 07-04-2014 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is a Borderlands 2 prequel due out for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, according to a new report.

GamePointsNow.com claims the shooter is set between the events of Borderlands 1 and 2, and 2K Australia, which has helped with the 2K-published BioShock and XCOM games, is handling development duties alongside Gearbox Software.

Apparently the story revolves around a younger Handsome Jack, who is after a powerful alien artifact. You play one of Jack's four lieutenants: Athena The Gladiator, Wilhelm The Enforcer, Nisha The Lawbringer and Fragtrap, a militarised claptrap. The game is set on the moon of Elpis and Hyperion's H-shaped base, both of which can be seen from Pandora in Borderlands 2.

More here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-07-borderlands-2-prequel-set-for-pc-ps3-and-xbox-360

PAX East is next weekend, and an official announcement is expected then. :)

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Everyone will pick the claptrap for their character. No doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I really dont like prequels. Its like having a huge spoiler even before playing the damn game...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I really dont like prequels. Its like having a huge spoiler even before playing the damn game...

But, it might show
    where he got the face!
    Unless that is answered in Borderlands 2. I can't remember. Either way, i'm buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

What spoilers? The only thing you'll know going in is that Jack is an asshole and that he will still be alive at the end of the game.

It will be an original game with a small bit of fan service.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

He's an asshole, but an entertaining asshole. Should be fun working for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Only played a small bit of bl 2, really liked it but ps3 got robbed and I traded the game. Ps plus gave me another chance at it so downloading it now and giving ut another go. No save file though, gonna cloud save it this time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Funny, for most of Borderlands 2 I wondered - heck, hoped - if I might get to visit Handsome Jack's space station. I was quite disappointed when it didn't happen as it seemed to scream 'final level', considering how the station was everpresent throughout the game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

cant help but feel this is going to be a rushed cash-in on the franchise as it's not going to be available for either XB1 or PS4. Hopefully not.. fragtrap sounds awesome

Mr E wrote: »
    What spoilers? The only thing you'll know going in is that Jack is an asshole and that he will still be alive at the end of the game.

It will be an original game with a small bit of fan service.

Its not spoiler as spoiler. And not specific to Borderlands. In al prequels, you always know how conflict ends up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Strange that it's last gen only. Will the audience still be there when it comes out on console?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A prequel to Borderlands 2?
    Wasn't that Borderlands 1?

Or did the second one have a new discreet storyline from the original title?

I'm confused,
    May need to lie down...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Borderlands story, if ye could call it that, was based around the four player characters that were searching for the vault and it's amazing alien tech and vast riches.. turned out to be a big bust.

BL2 was based around four player characters that had been left for dead by Jack and are seeking revenge.

As far as i can tell, the prequel will take place after borderlands, and before the vaulthunters were left for dead at the beginning of BL2.

Actually, as you progress through BL2, there are various bits and pieces of lore that crop up relating to Jack's rise to power within the Hyperion corporation. He apparently wasn't always a bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

More borderlands is welcome but the setting is bit of a slap in the face for many Borderlands 2 fans who cried for a moon base DLC , especially seeing as how they teased it in the last DLC :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

calex71 wrote: »
    More borderlands is welcome but the setting is bit of a slap in the face for many Borderlands 2 fans who cried for a moon base DLC , especially seeing as how they teased it in the last DLC :mad:

In fairness though, as part of the setting for a full game as opposed to a DLC, we'll probably get even more of the Hyperion Base than we would have.

Setting doesn't really matter though, it's the execution of it.

I would have preferred a next-gen game though. This smacks a bit of a rush job where they don't have to change much to get another game (plus obligatory season pass and DLC) out. Will reserve judgement until we start seeing some footage (though will absolutely definitely still buy the game and put about another 300 hours into it)

very true, it's a case of shut up and take my money regardless :P

My worry now is that all the outdoor environments will look pretty similar. Downside of having it on an oxygen-deprived moon, I suppose.

Is the zero gravity worked just so that claptrap can climb stairs on a jetpack :pac:

Has it been confirmed if it's the Claptrap or just a general claptrap unit?

Be a bit strange to make one of the most recognisable and funniest NPCs in the franchise a mute playable character you can't even see.

Be interesting to see the rest of their abilities. Saw Athena's and it didn't strike me as being particularly great (though I expect it's lethal when upgraded). Interested in seeing Wilhelm and Nisha's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

This gets a "cautiously optimistic" from me. It does make me wanna go and finish the DLC's for BL2 that I haven't done yet. Hammerlock and Tiny Tina await me!

The Claptrap. :)
    This is the Claptrap first encountered at the beginning of Borderlands 1 and the last surviving Claptrap unit during Borderlands 2. When playing as Claptrap the camera is set lower in a GoldenEye Oddjob kind of way, but he has upgraded abilities that make up for it, Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford told press at a recent reveal event seen by Eurogamer.

Shiminay wrote: »
    This gets a "cautiously optimistic" from me. It does make me wanna go and finish the DLC's for BL2 that I haven't done yet. Hammerlock and Tiny Tina await me!

Hammerlock's isn't that great (though it's fairly short with a good reward room at the end), but Tiny Tina's DLC is absolutely brilliant. Probably the best of the DLCs.

Mr E wrote: »
    The Claptrap. :)

Wow. Still doesn't really make sense to me, but fair enough.

Good video on the whole Video game industry and this game by Bosman.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/3x1d9c/the-final-bosman-money-money-money-is-all-you-need

New trailer , yeah jack is even more annoying in this.

Another new trailer and a release date Oct. 17

Trailer isn't exactly varied in terms of locations, nothing they haven't shown off before, and certainly doesn't have the same impact the Borderlands 2 wub wub wub one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

calex71 wrote: »
    Another new trailer and a release date Oct. 17

Trailer isn't exactly varied in terms of locations, nothing they haven't shown off before, and certainly doesn't have the same impact the Borderlands 2 wub wub wub one.

This could have easily been DLC along with the 10 other iterations of DLC for Borderlands 2. Disappointing.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This could have easily been DLC along with the 10 other iterations of DLC for Borderlands 2. Disappointing.

Going on what they show I agree, my main worry about this game is variety in the areas and so far thats been non-existent, and too similar to areas we have seen in previous games.

But the fact that this is a full game give me some hope for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I'd thought the talk of this was the Telltale adventure game, not another in the FPS series. Really want to get back into BL2 once I upgrade the ol' PC, have the Season pass but didnt touch a single one of the 4 DLC packs.

Between this, Witcher 3 and AC:Unity, I am vastly behind on series that are getting sequels in the next half year.....

Advertisement