Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dumb/Great Facebook Status {merge} [No Names]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

ziedth wrote: »
    I have a few that put up seriously sad deep and meaningful shít like "why doesn't she love me" and "life is so hard"
    Those ones are by far the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Theres also the attention seekers classic " omg I can't believe some people can be so cruel/harsh/b@stards etc"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I'm one of these people who can't bare the thought of people hating me. It's a serious condition. If I deselect them im basically telling them that I think they're annoying twats. They are, but I wouldn't say it to their faces and there are worse people out there.
    Would you not at least block them from appearing in your news feed then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Dragons have a bad enough rep as it is...

"PLEASE put this on your status if you know someone or
    are related to someone who has been eaten by dragons.
    Dragons are nearly unstoppable, and in case you didn't
    know, they can breathe fire. 93% of people won't copy
    and paste this, because they have already been eaten by
    dragons. 6% of people are sitting in the shower, armed
    with fire extinguishers. The remaining 1% are awesome,
    and will re-post this."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Theres also the attention seekers classic " omg I can't believe some people can be so cruel/harsh/b@stards etc"
    And then if someone asked what's wrong they get a "I don't wanna talk about it". Then WHY did you put it on Facebook?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

and the sh^t behind it is ridiculous - its not necessarily stupid stuff but calling it 'cruel life' 'harsh life' life sucks...' etc - that... give me a break.... id be willing to bet most of them havent a clue what really harsh is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

El Weirdo wrote: »
    If these people are such knobs, why do ye have them as friends?

I suspect they're not real friends. Your real friends, you text, call and email regularly. Facebook is for those you've met who might deem you relevant, but at the end of the day, you're totally irrelevant to each other. Especially when you meet them once, and don't see them again for 6 months*.

*Not that I would request a 'friendship' after a one off meeting, but I still get requests!! Mental.

I have about twenty-something FB friends and I intend to keep it that way - BECAUSE THEY'RE MY ACTUAL FCUKING FRIENDS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

yes. look out at the bush at the front of your house.

I always thought that bush was a little shifty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

'had such a bad day today. found out who my real friends are' Followed by the usual comments 'aww what's up hun? 'ahh what happened?' and then the person comes back and says 'ah can't say on facebook go on chat'. PFFT keep your attention seeking crap off your status then!

'lukn 4wrd 2 d wkwnd wiv me girlos' Girlos is the worst word ever.

'going to bed, nite!'/'ahh cant believe its raining'/'so annoyed my free texts are gone'/'gutted I have to go to work today'- get very annoying very fast, nobody cares!

I've only hidden one person, most of the rest have entertainment value.

Oh I forgot 'FML' **** my life. Makes me angry seeing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Aishae wrote: »
    and the sh^t behind it is ridiculous - its not necessarily stupid stuff but calling it 'cruel life' 'harsh life' life sucks...' etc - that... give me a break.... id be willing to bet most of them havent a clue what really harsh is.

FML assclowns

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Would you not at least block them from appearing in your news feed then?

I can do that without defriending them? Superb.

Wolflikeme wrote: »
    I suspect they're not real friends. Your real friends, you text, call and email regularly. Facebook is for those you've met who might deem you relevant, but at the end of the day, you're totally irrelevant to each other. Especially when you meet them once, and don't see them again for 6 months*.

*Not that I would request a 'friendship' after a one off meeting, but I still get requests!! Mental.

I have about twenty-something FB friends and I intend to keep it that way - BECAUSE THEY'RE MY ACTUAL FCUKING FRIENDS!
    Exactly.
    I can do that without defriending them? Superb.
    Yes. Just click on the X next to whatever banal status update appears in your feed. It makes Facebook a far more enjoyable experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

I also hate the crap like:

"I know my real friends will repost this...April is autism month...bla bla..."

It is? Should I get my autistic cousin a card and a gift voucher? Cause a fcukin Facebook status ain't gonna help him.

"today is sisters day"

No it fcuking isn't.

And the hearts. For **** sake don't forget the hearts <3

Oh...apparently this week is brothers week...so you know...do whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Have one friend who constantly puts up things like
    "Today I learned who my real friends are"
    "Why are people spreading untrue rumours about me, mind your own business" etc...
    Then when people comment asking what's wrong she replies "I don't want to talk about it over facebook" WTF???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I have a friend on FB who chats on his Wall to his missus. "How are you getting on sweetie". "Oh, I just went to the shops - got some milk". "That's great. Love you darling XXX". "Oh, you're so funny. XXX".

(They actually write in txt spk, but I can't bring myself to transcribe their actual conversations.)

Now, come on. Is there any reason why you're publishing your conversations as opposed to sending a text, making a call or, even, if FB is the only way you can make contact, sending a goddamn private message.

Makes my skin crawl a little bit for some reason. I went onto that page twice: once when we first became friends; and, once again out of morbid curiosity. As soon as my job permits me to remove this person as a friend, I will do so with relish (and coleslaw).

Honestly - it's creepy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

The attention seeking ones are by far the worst - one friend had 'I'm thinking about deactivating facebook, I'm so sick of it' - well why the hell are you posting on it then?? We don't f**king care! Just delete your profile then, stop looking for people to beg you not to! :rolleyes:

This is pretty funny though:

Please copy and paste this as your status if you know someone, or have heard of someone who knows someone. If you don't know anyone, or even if you've heard of anyone who doesn't know anyone, then do still copy this. It's important to spread the message even if no one knows anything about anyone. Oh, and the hearts. ♥ ♥ ♥ For Christ's sake, don't forget the fe****g hearts. ♥ ♥ ♥

:D

Oh and how could I forget the idiots who need to tell everyone when they're going to the gym...or going for a run...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

The ones who post My Chemical Romance lyrics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭HoneyRyder

This week I saw a girl post an oddly jovial 'RIP Grandad!' sandwiched between 'I love penis om nom nom' and 'OMG ur fkng dead 4 that frape!'

The RIP Grandad post was 'liked' by 17 people and my friends list is subsequently under review

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

There's a couple on "my Facebook" that talk to each other though their Facebook statutes.

"had a great weekend darling, I love you so much."

"food luck tomorrow babe xxxx "

You live in the same fcukong house...what are you doing????"

Next time, screenshot their statuses and send it to:

www.stfucouples.com

When FB started getting really popular and all the txtspking morons migrated from Bebo I changed my name and put my profile on the highest privacy settings possible. I then went on a friend purge. I don't use a photo as my profile picture and I have (to some degree of success) managed to avoid much of the twattery.

If someone I don't wish to overtly offend requests me as a friend, I add them and immediately remove them from my news feed and then after a couple of weeks block them from receiving any updates from me. I then remove them completely in one of my regular purges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Have to agree with everything thats been said here...

lovey dovey couples XXXXX
    in the 2 years or so i've been on fb i dont think ive ever left a comment on my OHs page, and we dont even live together, why the hell do people who live together do it aaahhh idiots. Oh and i really hate it when they leave messages like "I love you babe xxx" and then people comment " awh" or "so cute", theyve been together 6 years why the f**k are you encouraging this behaviour!

People who complain, ugh such a bad day today, ive sooo much work to do, college is sooo stressful...then get the hell off facebook and do your work, stop complaining.

I never reply to peoples idiotic status like this, they wreck my head!

Now it someone says "I got run over by a steamroller today" and goes on to post some pics of their crushed limbs then by all means i'll comment...because thats f**king interesting!

Rant over. That felt goooooooood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

When FB started getting really popular and all the txtspking morons migrated from Bebo I changed my name and put my profile on the highest privacy settings possible. I then went on a friend purge. I don't use a photo as my profile picture and I have (to some degree of success) managed to avoid much of the twattery.

If someone I don't wish to overtly offend requests me as a friend, I add them and immediately remove them from my news feed and then after a couple of weeks block them from receiving any updates from me. I then remove them completely in one of my regular purges.

You really are overthinking FB, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

I have a "friend" who every week says " yeh it's brilliant " or something along those lines. She's unemployed...

m@cc@ wrote: »
    You really are overthinking FB, dude.
    If I didn't, I'd be on this thread complaining about dumbass statements that my "friends" are making.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

One of my "friends" posted recently: So sorry I haven't uploaded my latest shots yet(He takes 'loike omg totally obscure photos of random things like'). I know I am behind in uploading them, I'm just mad busy at the moment.

Acting as if he needs to update his 'fans'. It's not a blog and you aren't providing an essential service to the public. You're just deluded.

Also, what the hell is this 'checking in' about? Say for example a person who lived on their own checked into Tesco(:rolleyes:) Do they not realize that that information is widely available on the internet and they just provided the perfect opportunity to break into their house?

Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

"Only 4 more sleeps til <insert appropriate event here>"

"Only 4 more sleeps til <insert appropriate event here>"
    Do you have many 5 year old friends? Are you Gary Glitter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

blow69 wrote: »
    One of my "friends" posted recently: So sorry I haven't uploaded my latest shots yet(He takes 'loike omg totally obscure photos of random things like'). I know I am behind in uploading them, I'm just mad busy at the moment.

Acting as if he needs to update his 'fans'. It's not a blog and you aren't providing an essential service to the public. You're just deluded.

Delete this enormous fcuking twat, but not before you ridicule him! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement