Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

I liked it. Quite Flann O'Brienish in many ways, i thought. Not that Rushdie has likely ever read Myles, but still.

I've always had the impression there's very little that Rushdie hasn't read...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Xofpod wrote: »
    I've always had the impression there's very little that Rushdie hasn't read...

From memory he cites a number of works that influenced the novel, including Cervantes and others, and i had wondered if Flann O'Brien might have got a mention too. Doesnt mean he isn't familiar with his work, of course.

• Pompeii by Robert Harris.
    He has an interesting range of books that lad :-)
    Enjoying it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

hope it is allowed to post this as a once off - it made me smile

img.php?e=gif&s=c&file=TWFjYW51ZG8vMjAyMC8wMy9NYWNhbnVkby4yMDIwMDMyMV8xNTM2LmdpZg==

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I've had a run of good books over the last few weeks but I'm struggling to get into Kate Atkinson's Big Sky. Normally enjoy her Jackson Brodie books but this one seems to be going nowhere. I'm over 100 pages in and so far it's a jumble of different characters and story lines with just cameo parts for Jackson. I have to keep checking back to see who is who. Anyone else read it, does it get better?

Maybe it's the times that be and my concentration is just off. Hard to put this virus out of mind.

Getting books on Borrowbox now is like trying to get a delivery slot from Supervalu. Books are reserved for months. Great in a way to see people taking up reading now though. It may save a lot of people's sanity and give them a lifetime hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A book I wzsn't due to get on BorrowBox until 10th APril was made available to me last week - I reckon with people reading more quickly, the queues might move along a bit faster than you expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Just an update on Borrowbox, I had 3 books reserved 1 for April, 1 for May & 1 for June and they all came in together today. Stacey Hall's The Foundling, Hilary Mantel's The Mirror & the Light and Colm McCann's Apeirogon. Just as well I'm staying home or I wouldn't have a hope of getting through these by 16/4

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Just an update on Borrowbox, I had 3 books reserved 1 for April, 1 for May & 1 for June and they all came in together today. Stacey Hall's The Foundling, Hilary Mantel's The Mirror & the Light and Colm McCann's Apeirogon. Just as well I'm staying home or I wouldn't have a hope of getting through these by 16/4

My Mirror & the Light just expired this morning so was up late last night finishing it. Still buzzing after it. What a ride is all i can say! The McCann is on my radar very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

Currently reading "I owe you one" by Jenny Colgan

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭farmerval

rodge68 wrote: »
    This Is Going To Hurt by Adam Kay...

An English Doctors diary..One of the funniest books I have read !!

Good read, funny but very observational as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Just finished:
    Hunting Evil by Chris Carter: Real page turner

This is going to hurt by Adam Kay: Enjoyed it although found it depressing

Irishder wrote: »
    This is going to hurt by Adam Kay: Enjoyed it although found it depressing

I have read a few chapters so far, finding it really good.
    Also by Adam Kay, I really enjoyed: Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

otnomart wrote: »
    I have read a few chapters so far, finding it really good.
    Also by Adam Kay, I really enjoyed: Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas

Read Nightshift last week, to be honest it didn't do it for me. I found it tedious and self indulgent.

Finished Leonard & Hungry Paul last night, a nice gentle, kind and uplifting read. I wouldn't get as excited about it as a lot of the reviews but in these testing times it is an easy read and a good antidote to negativity!

Concentration kinda shot at the moment so sticking with "non demanding" books. Listening to The Second Worst Restaurant in France by Alexander McCall Smith & reading Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris
    :):)

About a quarter way through Robert Macfarlane's Underworld. As ever, a pure joy to read.

Callan57 wrote: »
    reading Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris
    :):)
    I have read that just after it was published.
    The characters stayed in my mind, can't say that of too many other novels I have read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Forest House. I had never read anything by her before but I do like historical fiction so it had been on my mind to give her a try. This one was pretty average fair though I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Looking for some recommendations please, I have a lot more time to read now so just interested in some good books people have read:

Specficially I like Non-Fiction books, about history, war, biographies, science/nature, wild west etc

But anything non-fiction will do, maybe about something/somebody mad that not a lot of people know about, that would be interesting.

Looking for some recommendations please, I have a lot more time to read now so just interested in some good books people have read:

Specficially I like Non-Fiction books, about history, war, biographies, science/nature, wild west etc

But anything non-fiction will do, maybe about something/somebody mad that not a lot of people know about, that would be interesting.

I went back through my past posts for non fiction.A few ideas in the history and biographies genres:

The Durrells of Corfu by Michael Haag
    The Riviera Set by Mary Lowell
    Take Six Girls by Laura Thompson, bio on the Mitford sisters
    Cairo in the War: 1939-45 by Artemis Cooper
    Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy. The Story of Little Women and Why It Still Matters by Anne Boyd Rioux
    American Adulterer by Jed Mercurio. A fictionalised take on JFK

• Looking for some recommendations please, I have a lot more time to read now so just interested in some good books people have read:

I couldn't recommend Wild Swans highly enough

If you're interested in nature there's a book calle "To the Ends of the Earth: Ireland's Place in Bird Migration" by Anthony McGeehan. I didnt understand a lot of it because it is unexpectedly complicated, but what i did understand blew my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I've the ideal book for you. 'The strange, last voyage of Donald Crowhurst' by Nicholas Tomain.
    The true story of a British businessman who died whilst competing in the Sunday Times Golden Globe single yacht race in 1969.
    What makes this book so fascinating is that despite his yacht taking on water early in the race, he continually gave out false navigation positions in an attempt to convince all that he was actually completing his navigation and still competing.

In actual fact however, his log, which this book is based on, details the enormous pressure this man was actually under. He was in a Catch 22- He could pull out of the race and live with all the shame and embarrasment which that would bring, or so he thought, or he could plough on further and further through the oceans knowing that he was more than likely going to die.

Thanks very much to everyone for the suggestions, they all genuinely look like interesting books and I'm going to try to get through as many as I can.

I might start with 'The strange, last voyage of Donald Crowhurst' by Nicholas Tomain. (Thank you Fann Linn), that sounds right down my street!!

I love reading about the wierd, wonderful and outrageous situations people get themselves into. Fact really can be stranger than fiction.

Thanks very much to everyone for the suggestions, they all genuinely look like interesting books and I'm going to try to get through as many as I can.

I might start with 'The strange, last voyage of Donald Crowhurst' by Nicholas Tomain. (Thank you Fann Linn), that sounds right down my street!!

I love reading about the wierd, wonderful and outrageous situations people get themselves into. Fact really can be stranger than fiction.

You will enjoy it.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I've the ideal book for you. 'The strange, last voyage of Donald Crowhurst' by Nicholas Tomain.
    The true story of a British businessman who died whilst competing in the Sunday Times Golden Globe single yacht race in 1969.
    What makes this book so fascinating is that despite his yacht taking on water early in the race, he continually gave out false navigation positions in an attempt to convince all that he was actually completing his navigation and still competing.

In actual fact however, his log, which this book is based on, details the enormous pressure this man was actually under. He was in a Catch 22- He could pull out of the race and live with all the shame and embarrasment which that would bring, or so he thought, or he could plough on further and further through the oceans knowing that he was more than likely going to die.

I presume this is the story on which they based that Colin Firth movie a couple of years ago?

Xofpod wrote: »
    I presume this is the story on which they based that Colin Firth movie a couple of years ago?

It could well be. I think there were a number of movies made plus a BBC documentary. Ive never seen any of them. Might look for some over this lock down period. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

And I Dont Want To Live This Life: A Mothers Story Of Her Daughters Murder - Deborah Spungen

Written by the mother of Nancy Spungen, the girlfriend of Sid Vicious who was ultimately murdered by him, its a biography of her daughter from the mothers perspective. Incredibly sad but yet riveting, Nancy was a really troubled soul who really led a mad if short life.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    It could well be. I think there were a number of movies made plus a BBC documentary. Ive never seen any of them. Might look for some over this lock down period. Thanks.

A quick Google tells me that the film I'm thinking about is The Mercy, starring Colin Firth and Rachel Weisz. It's meant to be decent although it ... sank without a trace at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mercy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭eire4

How about Tim Pat Coogan's biographies of Michael Collins and or Eammon De Valera. Maybe some Morgan Llwelyn for good historical fiction as well.

eire4 wrote: »
    How about Tim Pat Coogan's biographies of Michael Collins and or Eammon De Valera. Maybe some Morgan Llwelyn for good historical fiction as well.

Definitely on the hit list, Collins in particular I'm keen to read about.

• Advertisement

otnomart wrote: »
    Enjoyed Salt Lane and Deadland.
    Now reading Sympathy for the Devil.
    All three by William Shaw.
    Finished Sympathy for the Devil by William Shaw.
    Not bad. But, for some reason, I did not like the way the Sixties were recreated.

Preferred the other two novels which are set in our times.

Advertisement