Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Witch

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Also, the boy coughed up a full apple. That's pretty freaky and hard to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

There was no witch, just a family completely out of their depth slowly falling apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Erika Juicy Handrail

Just watched this and had a thought re: whether the witch is real or imagined (which a question that, in a way that I can't quite articulate at this time of night, I think is somehow beside the point of the film).

The witch
    appears to each family member in a way specifically designed to most freak them out. To Caleb, struggling with emerging sexuality and the guilt his upbringing makes him feel about that, she's a sexy and/or scary siren. To Katherine, the witch steals and corrupts her children, and very literally attacks her maternity; mutilating her milk-giving breasts. To the twins, who are small children, she's a cackling old crone, a simplistic visualisation of a witch from a children's story. To William and Thomasin, the characters most alike in temperament and intelligence she's more unseen, what she does is more subtle. She undermines William's position as powerful patriarch and makes him rue his pride (and a strong symbol of male virility and power in the billy goat is what ultimately and decisively overpowers him, leaving his battered body in a pile of the logs that symbolised his futile efforts to provide for his family). And for Thomasin, who's probably at some level figuring out that being a beautiful, intelligent girl is dangerous and only going to become more so as her sexuality and attractiveness matures, she undermines people's perceptions of her purity and innocence, makes people suspect and distrust her, and very quickly deprives her of her closes ally in Caleb.

So, maybe she's a manifestation of each character's darkest fears borne out of the oppressive environment and coincidental misfortune (much like the real Salem witch trials where people confessed), maybe she and black Philip are just manipulating those fears. It's a good film and it synthesises those two readings well, I'll need to watch it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I really enjoyd this, slow burning without being boring.

Spoilers
    To me it seemed obvious there was a witch, and thevevents seemed designed to lure Tomassin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Just watched this on Netflix this evening. Enjoyed it, if not a little too slow paced. They got the setting and dialogue of the time down really well.

Got me thinking how miserable the time must really have been and how difficult life would have been!

• Advertisement

• Great movie.
    Knew nothing about it before I watched it, grabbed me from the very start and didn’t let go
    Wish I could watch it for the first time again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Preferring psychological horror to horror per se, I watched this as I wanted to see it before I watch Robert Eggers subsequent film The Lighthouse.
    Small quibble that the slow-burn approach was I thought a little too slow in the middle. Apart from that, the beautifully shot stark realism in conjunction with the historical realism of paranoia engendered by the intensely religious Puritan way of life was brilliantly done. It's the type of film whose theme and images stay with you, to be used as a reference point for the genre.

Advertisement