Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Is he at the bonfire there? Had a quick Google and found people saying he glitches if you didn't follow his quest line.

Others said if he was at bonfire and you left Anor Londo he's no longer summonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Been contemplating attempting a SL1run on this. I've never tried it in any of the games and this is as good a place to start. Many here done it? Pyromancy the best class to go with?

I've done one, its not massively difficult as a lot of dmg is % based so you dont get 1 shot by as much as you'd think, O&S and the 4 Kings are the hardest bosses by a long shot, once you sort your glove out you're away.

Pyromancer is your only class, everything else starts at SL2 or above.

Ive heard SL4 with the Knight is a real challenge, tougher than SL1 as Pyromancy scales directly with the glove and so a +15 Glove is a +15 Glove no matter your stats, whereas with the Knight you've very limited weapons and no stat scaling.

Its a fun run though, do recommend trying

I've done one, its not massively difficult as a lot of dmg is % based so you dont get 1 shot by as much as you'd think, O&S and the 4 Kings are the hardest bosses by a long shot, once you sort your glove out you're away.

Pyromancer is your only class, everything else starts at SL2 or above

Ive heard SL4 with the Knight is a real challenge, tougher than SL1 as Pyromancy scales directly with the glove and so a +15 Glove is a +15 Glove no matter your stats, whereas with the Knight you've very limited weapons and no stat scaling.

Its a fun run though, do recommend trying

Oh that's good to know. I was actually going to pick deprived, if and when I do it, as I presumed all other classes started at a higher level. I'd say those two along with the DLC bosses would be tough alright. Gwyn too if you can't parry. Thankfully this is the one game I can parry in somewhat consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

letsgo2018 wrote: »
    Any reason why Solaires Summon sign isnt at its supposed to be Anor Londo Location

Did you exhaust your conversation with him in Undead Burg?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Watched all of Vaati's earlier lore videos so never bothered with these remastered ones, until today!

This video is based off knowledge from DS1 and DS3 so it adds alot more to the story than the original video, its great stuff indeed. After watching it just now i wonder if Miyazaki truly planned such an intricate story from the outset, or is the community putting 1 and 1 together and getting 11? Either way i love it, and it works for me! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

'Daughters of Ash' mod available for the PTD edition on Steam (via NexusMod). A few new boss fights, completely up-ended story and game progression, lots of surprises.

Now that we are officially in lockdown (though I'm still waiting for confirmation ftom my boss that we are closed) I've just started my SL1 run of this. I may not be able to do it, but I've wanted to try since beating the game three times and should have plenty of time to persevere Should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

Just defeated the 4 kings. Most difficult or maybe most annoying boss yet as bonfire is a bit away and if you're not quick 2 of them get at you and then you're done. Took maybe 15 attempts. Funny how the first few I was thinking this is impossible and then you figure it out and learn. Not sure how far I am in but for 15 euro I've got my monies worth. Can see how people would play this through 10 times and get something different out of it each time.

Oh actually, the 2 bosses in Anor Londo were harder maybe. Had to use a summons even though they were practically useless, I was able to take them on one on one.

Been doing a bit of reading but unsure, should I kill Quelaags sister and your wan beside the bonfire in Anor Londo for the Estus upgrade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Brozy wrote: »
    Been doing a bit of reading but unsure, should I kill Quelaags sister and your wan beside the bonfire in Anor Londo for the Estus upgrade?

I'm just playing through the game for the first time now and I killed the Fire Keeper in Anor Londor when I was heading to the Archives. I didn't mean to hit her but I was messing around with a new Pyromancy and accidentally hit her and then she attacked me.

I'm about to do the second DLC area so going to kill Quelaags sister before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

There are consequences for both, honestly. Not anything major but depends on how you feel about what happens. But everyone should do a "just kill everything" playthrough at some point.

Just got the last lord soul to get access to the final area. I know you keep most of your items for new game plus but does ng+ start automatically when you defeat the final boss or is there a choice?

I don't think I'll be doing a second playthrough anytime soon but would like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Just got the last lord soul to get access to the final area. I know you keep most of your items for new game plus but does ng+ start automatically when you defeat the final boss or is there a choice?

I don't think I'll be doing a second playthrough anytime soon but would like to know.

Starts automatically on killing the boss if I recall correctly. There is a bunch of stuff you should do beforehand to prepare for NG+, e.g. kill all npcs for items, kindle all bonfires, get all the titanite slabs etc

Starts automatically on killing the boss if I recall correctly. There is a bunch of stuff you should do beforehand to prepare for NG+, e.g. kill all npcs for items, kindle all bonfires, get all the titanite slabs etc

Ahhhh crap. Just finished the last boss there and thought if I lit the bonfire it would trigger the ending so I left the room to head back to lord vessel bonfire thing. That triggered the ending and I should have quit out but didn't and now I'm back in the original dungeon cell. Think I'll take a break now for a few weeks and wait a bit before picking up DS2 or maybe go Bloodborne as I have it already.

Great game though, glad I persisted through. Just over 44 hours for that playthrough. Perfect game for picking up for 30 mins or an hour or 2 in the evening.

Ahhhh crap. Just finished the last boss there and thought if I lit the bonfire it would trigger the ending so I left the room to head back to lord vessel bonfire thing. That triggered the ending and I should have quit out but didn't and now I'm back in the original dungeon cell. Think I'll take a break now for a few weeks and wait a bit before picking up DS2 or maybe go Bloodborne as I have it already.

Great game though, glad I persisted through. Just over 44 hours for that playthrough. Perfect game for picking up for 30 mins or an hour or 2 in the evening.

Yep there are two endings depending on if you light the bonfire or walk away :)

DS2 isn't as good as 1 or 3 but definitely worth playing. I'm gunna be starting my first playthrough of Bloodborne in a couple weeks myself, excited for it!

Why kindle all bonfires?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Why kindle all bonfires?

Each time you kindle a bonfire you get 5 more estus up to a max of 20 and bonfires keep their level of kindle when you start NG+

Each time you kindle a bonfire you get 5 more estus up to a max of 20 and bonfires keep their level of kindle when you start NG+

Ah I thought they reset as well.

That's annoying, I had the rite of kindling and over 30 humanities. Oh well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

That's annoying, I had the rite of kindling and over 30 humanities. Oh well...

It won't really matter. NG+ bumps difficulty a bit, but you have your end game weapons. You probably won't feel challenged until you get back Anor londo.

Also Bloodbourne over DS2 all day any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

derfderf wrote: »
    Also Bloodbourne over DS2 all day any day.

Bloodborne over any Dark soul tbh ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Any dark souls at a smooth 60 fps over bloodborne for me.

Really hoping something happens with the PS5 as the framerates and frame pacing issues are the only thing holding that game back from being my favourite.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Any dark souls at a smooth 60 fps over bloodborne for me.

Really hoping something happens with the PS5 as the framerates and frame pacing issues are the only thing holding that game back from being my favourite.

I'd have them all pretty close, for different reasons, besides DS2.

Started a new playthough of this and I don't remember ever having issue with the Taurus Demon. Certainly never had him jump up onto the tower after me while dithering going for a plunge attack :D

Then I remembered there was no need for that bollox and just used the gold pine resin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Getting back into this again. Had picked up the Drake Sword a while back and still using that. Have just beat Capra Demon and headed for the depths. Can upgrade weapons now so what would be a decent replacement to the Drake Sword to start upgrading? I like the move set of the Drake but want to start using something that I can start upgrading, also I don't believe I can use resins with this thing. I'm trying to figure out if I need to pump souls into strength or dex but won't know until I figure what weapon I want to use long term

skerry wrote: »
    Getting back into this again. Had picked up the Drake Sword a while back and still using that. Have just beat Capra Demon and headed for the depths. Can upgrade weapons now so what would be a decent replacement to the Drake Sword to start upgrading? I like the move set of the Drake but want to start using something that I can start upgrading, also I don't believe I can use resins with this thing. I'm trying to figure out if I need to pump souls into strength or dex but won't know until I figure what weapon I want to use long term

You could do a run to the Catacombs and get the Gravelord Sword for a strength build or kill the Undead Merchant for the Uchigatana for a dex build.

If you managed to get a Balder Straight Sword to drop you could use that.

Edit: you could go to Valley of Drake's and get the Astora Straight Sword of your going to invest in Faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You could do a run to the Catacombs and get the Gravelord Sword for a strength build or kill the Undead Merchant for the Uchigatana for a dex build.

If you managed to get a Balder Straight Sword to drop you could use that.

Edit: you could go to Valley of Drake's and get the Astora Straight Sword of your going to invest in Faith.

Can I upgrade the Gravelord Sword with titanite like a standard Sword? I've heard you can get it early enough and it's pretty OP. Think Drake needs special materials. I went with a strength build in DS3 and worked out pretty well. Have a decent shield that I picked up in Darkroot Garden.

Think I already killed that merchant so probably have Uchigatana. Don't have many point in Dex at the moment though and I think I have 18 in strength so might be too late to look at dex swords.

Will have a look at what's handiest to get out of Balder and Gravelord so as they might suit the way my build is going. Have no clue about Faith Builds so will look into that. Thanks

Playing on PS4 but have ordered it on Switch so will be doing a different play through on that so can aim for more dedicated different builds from the start there

• Advertisement

skerry wrote: »
    Can I upgrade the Gravelord Sword with titanite like a standard Sword? I've heard you can get it early enough and it's pretty OP. Think Drake needs special materials. I went with a strength build in DS3 and worked out pretty well. Have a decent shield that I picked up in Darkroot Garden.

Think I already killed that merchant so probably have Uchigatana. Don't have many point in Dex at the moment though and I think I have 18 in strength so might be too late to look at dex swords.

Will have a look at what's handiest to get out of Balder and Gravelord so as they might suit the way my build is going. Have no clue about Faith Builds so will look into that. Thanks

Playing on PS4 but have ordered it on Switch so will be doing a different play through on that so can aim for more dedicated different builds from the start there

The Gravelord Sword needs demon titantie to upgrade. You'll get that from killing the demons and there's a few in chests throughout the game as well.

I'm using it on my strength build on Switch now and it mows enemies down. I killed both Gargoyles in four hits combined.

Edit: I think you'll have to two hand it with 18 strength.

Advertisement